How to analyse for english lit gcse?

Watch
ribbon123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Whenever I analyse, for example Romeo and Juliet I always go into a lot of contextual details e.g. he did that because in those times bla blah and I don't know how to properly analyse qoutations and how to structure it out. I mean when you analyse do you only look at the language features or anything elsel? please help
ribbon123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
bump
Claresquestions
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, has your teacher given you any kind of structure to follow? For my Macbeth coursework ewe we told to make a point that corresponds with the exam question, find a quote for an exam and then identify the literary techniques used? Are you writing a comparative essay? Sorry if this didn't help much

Posted from TSR Mobile
science over you
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GCSE literature is very literal and basic.
I was always taught to set my paragraphs in "PEEL"; Point (basically topic sentence", Evidence (quotation), Evaluation (what is the author trying to convey, why did the author use that specific language or linguistic devices, what image is being conveyed, what effect does it create...), Link (link your topic sentence to social/historical context).
This way you will explore the idea, linguistics, language, contexts, interpretation. The intriguing aspect of literature is that "Your" interpretation is valid aslong as you use the quote in favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ribbon123)
Whenever I analyse, for example Romeo and Juliet I always go into a lot of contextual details e.g. he did that because in those times bla blah and I don't know how to properly analyse qoutations and how to structure it out. I mean when you analyse do you only look at the language features or anything elsel? please help
Don't tell the story. Use PEEL: Point Evidence Explanation Link. Here's a quick example of the way these things should go:

Point: Before Romeo meets Juliet, he is depressed and life seems dark to him.
Evidence: Quote the bit about making himself an artificial night. (Haven't got my copy on me, sorry.)
Explanation: The absence of light in his life is exaggerated and it is implied that he might be wallowing in self pity and deliberately shutting himself away from other people, which is rather immature teenage behaviour and emphasises that his love for Rosaline is only infatuation or puppy love. However, when he meets Juliet and falls in love truly for the first time, he describes her window as 'the East' and states that 'Juliet is the sun', making it clear that this is the dawn of a new era in his life, one in which he feels bathed in the light of his love for Juliet.
Link: In this way, Shakespeare marks the progress of Romeo and Juliet's relationship. As the play goes on and their love meets greater and greater obstacles, the imagery of light and darkness points out to us that the love is doomed, with increasingly frequent references to darkness and fewer and fewer images of light. (Go on with another point from here and repeat the PEEL formula.)

Hope this give you an idea of what the basic structure or building block of a literature essay looks like. Keep adding things like this together and sticking them together with phrases like 'On the other hand' or 'In a similar way' or 'In conclusion'.
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you borrow a revision guide from the library?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
37.5%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
8.04%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
3.57%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
16.07%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed