The Student Room Group

Picking up money

If you saw money on the floor in the street- would you pick it up?
If so why? (or if not why not?)

If i saw a lager amount on the floor (i.e. £1 upwards) then i probably would but im not sure about any less.

I know my grandma and grandad pick up all money they find on the floor (even 1p's) and put it in a jar and ended up with about £13 in there.

Scroll to see replies

I found a £20 note once. I said i would donate to the RSPCA but i haven't got around to it yet

(So yes i picked it up, but i'm going to give it to charity)
(edited 10 years ago)
Anything above 20p I would likely pick up (can buy an apple on campus with that).
Most moneyz I have found around was £2...

Why can't I be one of those people who finds £20+ on the floor?... =(
Yes. Why...not?
Reply 4
Original post by Gjaykay
Urg, that money was supposed to last me til April and the note just fell out my jacket pocket.
I'm now left to suffer, because of an accident, and I dunno why every God damn I try something, life just kicks me in the nuts :frown:
It's like the universe wants me to curl up and die. :frown:

Someone in here has your £20 :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by a.gafor
Someone in here has your £20 :tongue:

Hah if only life worked that way ><
Reply 6
i found £40 once on the floor of a well-known electrical store. i handed it to the manager....
I found a £10 note on the pavement the other week, and yes I picked it up. There was no way of getting it back to the person. HOWEVER I should've maybe given it in to the shop next to the pavement as karma bit me on the arse. I bought £3 worth of shopping from Iceland and £4.something on tobacco.

I left all of it on the bus, never to be seen again.

For what it's worth, I always hand lost phones/purses etc that can be identified to the police station/ shop that it's in.
I would pick up anything from 20p up but if it was over £10 I'd hand it in somewhere :smile:
Reply 9
When I was like 16 me and a friend found some crumpled up notes on the ground of a park, so we kept it, mostly because there wasn't anyone around, and no shops round so we weren't sure what else we could do.

If I picked up money now, I'd try and see if it was dropped by a nearby person. I once dropped £10 without realising, and this nice guy picked it up and chased after me to give it back, so I'd like to do that for someone else if the chance presented itself.
Original post by the bear
i found £40 once on the floor of a well-known electrical store. i handed it to the manager....

I'm sure the manager had a cracking night. Probably raised a couple of pints to you.
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I'm sure the manager had a cracking night. Probably raised a couple of pints to you.

This, why on Earth would you give it to someone else other than the person it belongs to.
Reply 12
Original post by Gjaykay
Hah if only life worked that way ><

Hint Hint: Second post in this thread :wink:

coincidence? I think not :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by a.gafor

Original post by daisychain_
I found a £20 note once. I said i would donate to the RSPCA but i haven't got around to it yet

(So yes i picked it up, but i'm going to give it to charity)

That would actually be such an amazing coincidence if someone from TSR did pick up my cash ><
Original post by the bear
i found £40 once on the floor of a well-known electrical store. I handed it to the manager....

ha-gaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
Original post by a.gafor

Original post by Gjaykay
That would actually be such an amazing coincidence if someone from TSR did pick up my cash ><

I hope you don't mind if it is your £20, it is going to charity after all :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by daisychain_
I hope you don't mind if it is your £20, it is going to charity after all :tongue:

I don't think you understand the gravity of this situation and I dont blame you as it's quite possible you have not read his thread :frown:

I suggest you have a look here :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46847614&highlight=

and then you will realise he needs it probably just as much as anyone else :frown:
Reply 17
I've only ever found money on the floor in class. It was tenner and gave it to the teacher like the good student I am.... The pessimist within me thinks he ended up keeping it for himself.
Original post by a.gafor
I don't think you understand the gravity of this situation and I dont blame you as it's quite possible you have not read his thread :frown:

I suggest you have a look here :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46847614&highlight=

and then you will realise he needs it probably just as much as anyone else :frown:

Sorry to hear that :frown: but it wasn't me as I found it a while back
Provided it isn't in or on anything nasty and 10p or more I always pick it up:cool:

I mean for less than 20p, I can get a Freddo :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest