I Need help with Extended Essay! Watch

MeganAbbott7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm writing my history extended essay on the liberal reforms 1906-1914 the question is: "How far were the reports on poverty produced by Booth and Rowntree responsible for the Liberal social Reforms of 1906-1914?" I'm not sure on how to go about doing the introduction? I need help
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you written the rest of your essay? Usually, the introduction is easier if you write it last.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well first you need to address key terms in the question: 'Reports introduced by Booth and Rowntree'- what and when? and Liberal Reforms of 1906-1914- what? (Place these into context of the period growth of New Liberalism)

Next introduce all the factors that you will discuss in your essay:
-Reports introduced by Booth and Rowntree
-National Security
-National Efficiency
-New Liberalism

-Introduce any historiography surrounding the question

-Draw an overall judgement: The reports on poverty produced by Booth and Rowntree were responsible for the Liberal social Reforms of 1906-1914 to a large/small extent (if small state which factor is most likely)

JoshuaMorrison94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well there are several important points which must be included in all introductions, and those are:

- Contextualisation; giving background on the issue. You would discuss poverty in the late 19th century, its consequences. as well as attempts to help those in poverty and government response i.e laissez-faire, philanthropy and charitable societies. You should mention the Boer War briefly as an example of the failing health of the nation and the consequences of poverty to Britain's national efficiency. This can be ties in to politics since a weak Britain would ultimately have political consequences for the ruling party, while at the same time they required a way to placate the poor away from Labour. Finally, discuss changing attitudes, particularly among a new class of Liberals such as David Lloyd George and Henry Asquith.
- Line of argument; the contextualisation should then lead into your line of argument in which you should state briefly what the Liberal Reforms were/what they did, and then question why they were introduced.
- Factors; this too leads into mentioning which factors will be discussed throughout the essay. Those being, the social surveys of Booth and Rowntree, changing attitudes among the 'New Liberals', concerns over national efficiency and the emerging threat of the Labour Party.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%