University of Bath vs. Goldsmiths, London

Watch
JacobG018
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm in a massive dilemma! I have received two offers from Goldsmiths for the courses I originally wanted to do (I will probably contact them to change one of my joint honours) to study either Anthropology and Media or Anthropology and Sociology. My problem is which university to choose. I have also received offers from University of Bath to study Sociology (with a potential placement year) and University of Manchester to study Social Sciences. However, I am in a HUGE predicament to which university to choose. For ages, I had my 'heart' set on Goldsmiths (hence why I applied twice) I feel drawn to Bath because it is such a great university (statistically anyway) and I did enjoy my time when I visited. However, I love London and have been to London many times and get a great buzz from London, but London does glamourise itself a lot, especially when visiting. It feels like, although Goldsmiths is more creative and more my thing, the extra expense may not be worth it in the long run as Bath is cheaper and more reputable and may have a higher chance of succeeding at a career I may partake in the future. I just really cannot rack my mind to choosing which university to go to.

I adore the city life and feel like a strong social life whilst at university is paramount. London always seems like the place to be, everything happens in London, there is always interesting and intellectually stimulating things to do in London and its so cultural and iconic. The nightlife there will be nothing but amazing (more expensive, but amazing) and things to do during the day (outside of lectures) will be endless .Although Bath (the city) is considerably more quaint and smaller than London and Manchester, I feel like the nightlife may be weak and not a lot going on in the city. It's a gorgeous city, don't get me wrong, but its not 'edgy' enough, I think, for me. However, Bristol is ten minutes away on the train from Bath and thats a city filled with nightlife (although I've never been). London is also only just over and hour away from Bath so ideally I could still have a social aspect in London without the extra cost of living there.

Course wise, I'd have to say Goldsmiths seems more interesting to me (I'd change to joint honours of Sociology and Media) as I'd love to work in the media in the future but Bath offers a stronger, more transferable and prestigious course which I assume puts me in a higher sted for career/future prospects which I guess is one of the main factors why we go to university.

When visiting Goldsmiths and numerous open days/applicant days, I had different views on it. I felt like some of the tutors were a little bit rude and obnoxious which negatively tarnished my experience but I do like the campus and the aesthetics. One tutor was slightly rude and the other was slightly annoying in the way he presented himself and spoke. Bath open day was good although I felt like I still didn't know much about the course and its specifics as I wanted to but the placement year is a definite pull factor to the university. The campus is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

I understand visiting London is MUCH different from living in London and I'm worried that I won't like the 'ugly' side of the city if I eventually come across it when living there. I'm in two split minds about this and I don't know where to go with it.

I just don't know!

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Anyone have any opinions on Goldsmiths/Bath?

Any help will be hugely appreciated!
(Felt a real sense of catharsis writing that, I must admit)
dada55
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JacobG018)
I'm in a massive dilemma! I have received two offers from Goldsmiths for the courses I originally wanted to do (I will probably contact them to change one of my joint honours) to study either Anthropology and Media or Anthropology and Sociology. My problem is which university to choose. I have also received offers from University of Bath to study Sociology (with a potential placement year) and University of Manchester to study Social Sciences. However, I am in a HUGE predicament to which university to choose. For ages, I had my 'heart' set on Goldsmiths (hence why I applied twice) I feel drawn to Bath because it is such a great university (statistically anyway) and I did enjoy my time when I visited. However, I love London and have been to London many times and get a great buzz from London, but London does glamourise itself a lot, especially when visiting. It feels like, although Goldsmiths is more creative and more my thing, the extra expense may not be worth it in the long run as Bath is cheaper and more reputable and may have a higher chance of succeeding at a career I may partake in the future. I just really cannot rack my mind to choosing which university to go to.

I adore the city life and feel like a strong social life whilst at university is paramount. London always seems like the place to be, everything happens in London, there is always interesting and intellectually stimulating things to do in London and its so cultural and iconic. The nightlife there will be nothing but amazing (more expensive, but amazing) and things to do during the day (outside of lectures) will be endless .Although Bath (the city) is considerably more quaint and smaller than London and Manchester, I feel like the nightlife may be weak and not a lot going on in the city. It's a gorgeous city, don't get me wrong, but its not 'edgy' enough, I think, for me. However, Bristol is ten minutes away on the train from Bath and thats a city filled with nightlife (although I've never been). London is also only just over and hour away from Bath so ideally I could still have a social aspect in London without the extra cost of living there.

Course wise, I'd have to say Goldsmiths seems more interesting to me (I'd change to joint honours of Sociology and Media) as I'd love to work in the media in the future but Bath offers a stronger, more transferable and prestigious course which I assume puts me in a higher sted for career/future prospects which I guess is one of the main factors why we go to university.

When visiting Goldsmiths and numerous open days/applicant days, I had different views on it. I felt like some of the tutors were a little bit rude and obnoxious which negatively tarnished my experience but I do like the campus and the aesthetics. One tutor was slightly rude and the other was slightly annoying in the way he presented himself and spoke. Bath open day was good although I felt like I still didn't know much about the course and its specifics as I wanted to but the placement year is a definite pull factor to the university. The campus is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

I understand visiting London is MUCH different from living in London and I'm worried that I won't like the 'ugly' side of the city if I eventually come across it when living there. I'm in two split minds about this and I don't know where to go with it.

I just don't know!

The reason you are not getting many replies is that people cannot decide for you, it is a very hard choice but you have to make it yourself. I guess people can advice you on certain topics for each university or course but in the end the hard decision still falls on you.

I myself had a very hard choice between Bath and Southampton and literally scanned every page about the course details, life at uni, societies/sports that you can join and I would advice you to do something similar, look at specific modules' content and what you actually learn in each course and see what you think you will enjoy most.
Then in order of your preferences, see how available/good the hobbies that you have or want to take up are in each university. Sure London is big and will be able to offer almost any need you have but that comes with money and location within London is still important to whether you will have realistic access to certain activities.

Make a table between everything you think will be important to your life at university and fill it up for both universities, you don't have to do this in 1 go as things will keep popping in your head. When you think you have finished the table, copy it and start removing all the things that actually you don't think are that important, remove the stuff that are equal between both universities and you should be left with the pros and cons of each university. Then assign a weighting to each pro/con and see which one seems to fit you more.

When it comes to reputation/employment, it really becomes a balance of whether you will still enjoy your time at university. There is no point going to a university you might not fully enjoy just for the potential of being slightly more employable. I don't know much about Goldsmiths but unless there is a substantial difference in employment statistics, remember that being happy at your university will mean you are more likely to be more productive and get better results/ achieve more which could actually be more favourable to being employable then just the reputation of a university itself.

It really does suck how a click of a button changes your life so much and the thing that makes it hard is that we want to choose what will be the best balance for what will be best for us now and in the future. Truth is that the most important thing is to enjoy and make the best out of what you choose, no matter what it is.
Also be positive that the degree course itself is something that you really want to do, as enjoying what you study will affect your other aspects of life as well.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JacobG018)

I just don't know!

Hi there,

Congratulations on receiving those offers!

I'm a second year Sociology student at Bath and I understand how you're feeling as I was in a similar predicament when choosing which university to attend myself.

It sounds like you know what you want most from a university, so the advice that dada55 has given you about weighing up the pros and cons about each institution is quite a good idea and will help you consider which one would be best for you and where you think you'd enjoy yourself most.

You mentioned that you were unsure about the course specifics for studying Sociology at Bath, so I'll explain them a little more for you. If you chose Bath you would take 5 units per semester and there are two of them. Within each semester you would take two or three compulsory units and will have the opportunity to chose the rest.

Aside from all the 'core' units you are required to study in each year, there is an interdisciplinary approach to studying Sociology at Bath. This means you are able to pick several options throughout the course from a variety of departments including Politics, Education, Languages, Psychology as well as optional units in Sociology. For instance, this year I've chosen units such as Social Concepts of Humans, Monsters and Machines and The Sociology of the Body.

I've included a list here of some of the units that are available to you throughout your degree.

The course has roughly 10 hours a week contact time plus seminars and time you may have to use to do group work and the required reading. You'll be assessed in a variety of ways including presentations, essays, exams and group projects and you'll be taught by academics that are conducting exciting research in their fields so the units are exciting, challenging and relevant.

Also like you mentioned, the placement year is an extremely beneficial part of the degree and is an exciting opportunity to gain some valuable work experience and figure out where you may want a career in the future.

You also mentioned that a good night life is pretty important to you when choosing your university, and whilst Bath's may not compare to London, there is a student night each night of the week in the city centre or on campus. People often forget that Bath is home to two large universities, so there's guaranteed to be a lot going on for them. And like you said, Bristol and London aren't too far away either,

Also you said you were considering changing to study Sociology and Media, I thought I would mention that you could get involved in student media at Bath if you wanted - there's a newspaper, TV station and Radio station - although it wouldn't appear as part of your degree classification, but I don't know how they compare to the media outlets at Goldsmiths.

I would say personally think about where you will get the most out of your university experience and where you'll feel happiest living for 3 or 4 years. I know how difficult the decision is so I wish you the best of luck with it!

I hope you find this information helpful, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to quote me and I'll help you as best as I can.

Good luck!

Nicole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads