JacobG018
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm in a massive dilemma! I have received two offers from Goldsmiths for the courses I originally wanted to do (I will probably contact them to change one of my joint honours) to study either Anthropology and Media or Anthropology and Sociology. My problem is which university to choose. I have also received offers from University of Bath to study Sociology (with a potential placement year) and University of Manchester to study Social Sciences. However, I am in a HUGE predicament to which university to choose. For ages, I had my 'heart' set on Goldsmiths (hence why I applied twice) I feel drawn to Bath because it is such a great university (statistically anyway) and I did enjoy my time when I visited. However, I love London and have been to London many times and get a great buzz from London, but London does glamourise itself a lot, especially when visiting. It feels like, although Goldsmiths is more creative and more my thing, the extra expense may not be worth it in the long run as Bath is cheaper and more reputable and may have a higher chance of succeeding at a career I may partake in the future. I just really cannot rack my mind to choosing which university to go to.

I adore the city life and feel like a strong social life whilst at university is paramount. London always seems like the place to be, everything happens in London, there is always interesting and intellectually stimulating things to do in London and its so cultural and iconic. The nightlife there will be nothing but amazing (more expensive, but amazing) and things to do during the day (outside of lectures) will be endless .Although Bath (the city) is considerably more quaint and smaller than London and Manchester, I feel like the nightlife may be weak and not a lot going on in the city. It's a gorgeous city, don't get me wrong, but its not 'edgy' enough, I think, for me. However, Bristol is ten minutes away on the train from Bath and thats a city filled with nightlife (although I've never been). London is also only just over and hour away from Bath so ideally I could still have a social aspect in London without the extra cost of living there.

Course wise, I'd have to say Goldsmiths seems more interesting to me (I'd change to joint honours of Sociology and Media) as I'd love to work in the media in the future but Bath offers a stronger, more transferable and prestigious course which I assume puts me in a higher sted for career/future prospects which I guess is one of the main factors why we go to university.

When visiting Goldsmiths and numerous open days/applicant days, I had different views on it. I felt like some of the tutors were a little bit rude and obnoxious which negatively tarnished my experience but I do like the campus and the aesthetics. One tutor was slightly rude and the other was slightly annoying in the way he presented himself and spoke. Bath open day was good although I felt like I still didn't know much about the course and its specifics as I wanted to but the placement year is a definite pull factor to the university. The campus is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

I understand visiting London is MUCH different from living in London and I'm worried that I won't like the 'ugly' side of the city if I eventually come across it when living there. I'm in two split minds about this and I don't know where to go with it.

I just don't know!

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Anyone have any opinions on Goldsmiths/Bath?

Any help will be hugely appreciated!
(Felt a real sense of catharsis writing that, I must admit)
smileyx123x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go with your gut instinct !!
I have friends who have been to both Goldsmiths and to Bath.. From what I know of Goldsmiths, and I've been there to visit on an open day and also went out in that area a lot, I think it's great
It's a really creative college like you said, but there is a sense of togetherness because it's quite small which is really nice. From what I know about Bath - the Uni is obviously a great institution, and you would definitely benefit educationally from attending here.. but like you said London is London, and apart from the price side of things - I studied in central London and do not regret it one bit
In fact studying in London taught me so much, and I had such a great nightlife experience
I would go with goldsmiths, also the sociology and anthropology departments are one of the best in the UK at golds, and my friends who have been in these depts have got some great jobs afterwards so it really depends on your luck etc I guess?
Maybe i'm biased because I studied in London... but I would go with Goldsmiths ! in fact i'm thinking about studying my Masters there, i love the atmosphere

X
christiandbutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bath? Full of stuck up middle class to upper class students. I don't find it friendly but pretentious. Unfriendly tutors. Goldsmiths? better!
christiandbutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh and yes I have a Goldsmith's offer. The only good thing about Bath is its research and location. Student union? Yuck! Accommodation? Not bad ...Job Prospect....well I would say equally better against Goldsmith. but seriously. if you'll do anthropology or Sociology...choose Goldsmith as these subjects are its strongest departments. I'm going to do Psychology with either Royal Holloway or GOldsmiths university both are university of london. Again, this is subjective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads