Thinking about getting a Tattoo Watch

Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok so for the past few years, i've been thinking about getting a tattoo (Nothing big, just something small) however i've been (as the phrase goes) "uhmming and ahhring" about it, as i'm not sure if i could pull off a tattoo, just wondering if anyone had any advice

I've narrowed it down to three ideas:

- Some form of guitar tattoo (Most likely choice at this point in time)
- Ohana (Hawaiian for Family)
- Aloha (Hawaiian for Hello/Goodbye)

Last two idea yes i did get from Lilo & Stitch

Note: i'm also quite skinny, i have what i call "natural muscle" (Muscle built up from doing Rock Climbing, Horse Riding and Aikido while at uni)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tomsta)
Ok so for the past few years, i've been thinking about getting a tattoo (Nothing big, just something small) however i've been (as the phrase goes) "uhmming and ahhring" about it, as i'm not sure if i could pull off a tattoo, just wondering if anyone had any advice

- Alhoa (Hawaiian for Hello/Goodbye)

make sure they do not write Alhoa....
Tomsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
make sure they do not write Alhoa....
Yeah sorry my bad i was multitasking as i wrote this, don't worry i'd have it spell checked before hand
marcusgb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a tattoo after thinking about if for quite a while and have no regrets. I picked the thinks I enjoy and my favourite proverbs from Art of the Samurai, which I find are a good reminder for me every time I look at it.

I recommend if you are serious making a list of thing things you are considering (like in your post) and get some visuals and take them to a good tattoo artist. They will come up with different suggestions that you might have never considered, and if they don't then you know they are not someone you want to tattoo your body.

It might take a while to find the right artist but don't rush in if you have any doubts. I met 4 people before the right one person to do mine.
brownbearxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have two, my only regret is that the one on my hip isnt bigger. Might get bigger swallows done over it.
hotliketea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my brother's best friend got a huge koi tattoo on his back when he was eighteen , hated it within a year , got another tattoo , now hates that and he's now got ANOTHER that he's coming to hate

I think you should really make sure you love the design - it's literally a life choice - and maybe keep it somewhere you can hide it easily just in case you have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An "aloha" tattoo sounds ****ing stupid IMO
marcusgb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think starting small is a good idea, as you can always build it up over time if you decide you want it to be more.
Shadow-X
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
changing skies has a tattoo on her forehead
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hotliketea)
my brother's best friend got a huge koi tattoo on his back when he was eighteen , hated it within a year , got another tattoo , now hates that and he's now got ANOTHER that he's coming to hate

I think you should really make sure you love the design - it's literally a life choice - and maybe keep it somewhere you can hide it easily just in case you have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did he get it removed?
hotliketea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Did he get it removed?
no he can't afford to remove it and he doesn't want it to scar

Posted from TSR Mobile
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hotliketea)
no he can't afford to remove it and he doesn't want it to scar

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's still going to scar after removal? >.<
Dopaminergic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Note: i'm also quite skinny, i have what i call "natural muscle" (Muscle built up from doing Rock Climbing, Horse Riding and Aikido while at uni)
If you're urhming and arming don't get one, yet.
Think about these things:
1. Are you likely to change within the next 5 years, will what you consider what you like now be "cool" when you're 22-28 when you are most likely going to be a lot different? Do you want to enjoy this tattoo for life or, instead be reminded of your youth when you are older?
2. Don't get something out of a catalog in a shop, or something really lame, you will regret getting something everyone has, and if you won't regret it, make sure you're confident in that.
3. Very addictive
4. If you like it don't be ashamed of it, it's not what everybody else thinks of
It.

Experience: first tattoo at 14, apprentice tattooist between 15-18, travelled to a lot of conventions, my mum has got them on her face, back arms legs hips
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think there's three sorts of tattoos, good designs and ones that remember a point in your life (though that doesn't mean like all pictures are design and all words and memories) and disasters. I think it's helpful to think about what you are getting in these terms

A good design will stand the test of time but to do that it does need to be really something special. You need to be clear on the sort of thing you want and you need a particularly good artist (good at the style you want). In time you will probably be less in love with it, you see it everyday so it becomes less special but you'll still appreciate it and like it. There's absolute standard of what is a good tattoo, beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing.

That's so long as you were right in deciding to become a tattooed person. I think that's where a lot of people's problem is, they want a tattoo because they like the design but don't really follow through the thought to realise they are making a lifelong commitment to being a tattooed person. If you later decide you'd rather not have a tattoo/s then it makes no difference how good it is.

Memory tattoos you probably want to get somewhere you can cover up. At some point there's a good chance they'll become a bit cringe which doesn't mean you don't like it any more. I have tattoos I got when I was 16/17. They are cringey as hell and not a good design. I considered getting them covered up for a while but actually it's a memory of me growing up and part of who I am. I plan to turn my whole thigh into my general memory **** area. That said I am very glad they are on my thigh and not my forearm.

Then there's just **** which is everything that doesn't fit into one of the above. I would hazard a guess that most people who get tattoos who aren't properly into them are getting ones in this category. The way to determine if it falls into this category is process of elimination. It might not seem **** now but if it's not one of the above then it probably is.
Dopaminergic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
I think there's three sorts of tattoos, good designs and ones that remember a point in your life (though that doesn't mean like all pictures are design and all words and memories) and disasters. I think it's helpful to think about what you are getting in these terms

A good design will stand the test of time but to do that it does need to be really something special. You need to be clear on the sort of thing you want and you need a particularly good artist (good at the style you want). In time you will probably be less in love with it, you see it everyday so it becomes less special but you'll still appreciate it and like it. There's absolute standard of what is a good tattoo, beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing.

That's so long as you were right in deciding to become a tattooed person. I think that's where a lot of people's problem is, they want a tattoo because they like the design but don't really follow through the thought to realise they are making a lifelong commitment to being a tattooed person. If you later decide you'd rather not have a tattoo/s then it makes no difference how good it is.

Memory tattoos you probably want to get somewhere you can cover up. At some point there's a good chance they'll become a bit cringe which doesn't mean you don't like it any more. I have tattoos I got when I was 16/17. They are cringey as hell and not a good design. I considered getting them covered up for a while but actually it's a memory of me growing up and part of who I am. I plan to turn my whole thigh into my general memory **** area. That said I am very glad they are on my thigh and not my forearm.

Then there's just **** which is everything that doesn't fit into one of the above. I would hazard a guess that most people who get tattoos who aren't properly into them are getting ones in this category. The way to determine if it falls into this category is process of elimination. It might not seem **** now but if it's not one of the above then it probably is.
This is an extremely good answer. Take notice of this.
lou 22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Tom do not get lilo and stitch you will regret it at a later date, but I am thinking of the rib cage tat I told you about well it will be two into one want it done soon but may change my mind again.
Tomsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)

Thanks for the advice
(Original post by lou 22)
Tom do not get lilo and stitch you will regret it at a later date, but I am thinking of the rib cage tat I told you about well it will be two into one want it done soon but may change my mind again.
Fair enough, you think the guitar one would be best?
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Above all else, whatever design you settle on, look at the portfolios of whoever you're going to and take time over choosing an artist. Do not be tempted by bargains, discounts, offers, etc. Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good. It makes me sad to see people with good ideas for tattoos ruined by awful execution.

For reference, this is good: http://www.into-you.co.uk/london/ These are... not good: http://worst-tattoo-ever.tumblr.com/
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got Transformers tattoos on my feet (Autobots on one, Decepticons on the other) and I really don't like them now. However, that's only because the colouring is terrible, so I'm going to get them redone. I'm also getting the large swallow on my chest expanded.

I didn't put a great deal of thought into any of my tattoos (I have 7 in total), and some of them I don't really like anymore, but I'm just getting things added to them or having them recoloured. If you get a tattoo where it's rarely visible, I don't see why you can't get whatever you want!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tbh the best tattoo is no tattoo. you can look "trendy" and "hip" with a temporary tattoo.

http://inkwear.co.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (371)
58.89%
Yes- I don't like it (34)
5.4%
No- I want it (180)
28.57%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.14%

Watched Threads