The Student Room Group

does wood have Capillarys?

my brother seems to think they do, i don't understand what they'd need capillarys for.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by liamb89
my brother seems to think they do, i don't understand what they'd need capillarys for.

Well, since trees don't have blood flowing in them I doubt they have much need for capillaries. They do have similar branches allowing for water flow and such, their name escapes me though.
Reply 3
You have the mass flow water system involving the phloem and xylem both of which act in a similar fashion to capillaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
plants do not have capillaries, but they have structures which move nutrients and water around the plant, these are known as the xylem and the phloem. sometimes the xylem and phloem are called capillaries because they are analogous to capillaries in animals.
the xylem and phloem are somewhat analogous to capillaries in mammals; also bark is similar in many ways to skin.
Original post by liamb89
plants do not have capillaries, but they have structures which move nutrients and water around the plant, these are known as the xylem and the phloem. sometimes the xylem and phloem are called capillaries because they are analogous to capillaries in animals.

Analogous, right. But if I am not mistaken the difference to capillaries are filter cells which regulate the absorption of water and anorganic salts (nitrates and phosphates). I don't know a similar function in capillaries.
Reply 7
Original post by Kallisto
Analogous, right. But if I am not mistaken the difference to capillaries are filter cells which regulate the absorption of water and anorganic salts (nitrates and phosphates). I don't know a similar function in capillaries.

both capillaries, xylem and phloem are for the transportation of substances one in plants the other in animals, however there is differences, Analogous only means comparable in certain respects, not exactly the same.
Original post by liamb89
both capillaries, xylem and phloem are for the transportation of substances one in plants the other in animals, however there is differences, Analogous only means comparable in certain respects, not exactly the same.

I know the meaning of the word analogous. My comment should be an agreement to you and a reference to differences at the same time. Am I really not so clear in my writing?

By all means it should be obvious by now that xylem and phloem are not capillaries, even if they have a similarity.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending