The Student Room Group

I have a passion for psychology but?

Basically I had it all planned out until I looked on here and people were saying it is not a good degree and will not get you far.

I want to do Psychology at Bachelors level at Teeside University, then take two years out to get experience and get a level 3 diploma in counseling and then do a Doctorate in Counseling Psychologist to become a counseling psychologist or another route was after doing Psychology at Bachelors was to get PGCE in order to teach psychology.

But I am starting to question whether psychology would get me far? Its the only subject I enjoy I don't really like anything else so don't know what other subject I would take at University and even if I did change my mind on psychology I have already got a place so it would mean waiting another year so I could apply for something that would be a more 'beneficial subject'
It can get you far and if you want to do that doctorate you have to a psychology bachelors or conversion course. However it is competitive to become a proper psychologist of somekind
Reply 2
I say go for it. Although careers directly linked with psychology are hard to come by, and very difficult to get into without a Masters or PhD, there are still transferable skills from the degree which you can apply to other careers. If you go for a subject which you have a real drive for you are more likely to succeed.
I'm starting a psychology degree in September after making a bad judgement and spending my last year heading towards the more 'stable' career of accountancy.
It depends on what your career will mean to you really, I personally have decided job satisfaction has to come above stability and a good wage. No point earning money to live working a living you don't enjoy.
Good luck making your decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
It can get you far and if you want to do that doctorate you have to a psychology bachelors or conversion course. However it is competitive to become a proper psychologist of somekind

It's competitive yes, but much less so than most popular grad schemes!

OnT: It is a very rewarding career, whether you take the research path or practice route. Also keep in mind that in order to work with "clinical populations" you don't necessarily have to take the practice route. But yes its a very rewarding career and it can take you far (and you won't necessarily be pigeon-holed in the NHS if that worries you as you can always combine that with your own private practice or enter the private sector in psych). It does take a long time to qualify so be sure that this is actually what you want to do. Psychology at undergraduate level is a good degree, if you attend a good university. However if there is a slight chance that you might be tempted by the private sector in the Business sector then I'd recommend choosing a more competitive degree.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest