The Student Room Group

English Baccalaureate (EBacc)??

Hi, i am considering dropping Geography. That will mean that i wont have a humanity (except for Religious studies but apparently that doesn't count as a humanity?)

Someone mentioned to me that i wont have the English Baccalaureate then? Im kinda confused on what this is and when it will be enforced and recognised? Has it ever been used or is it new?

Thanks!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Claresquestions
Hi, due to ill health i am considering dropping Geography. That will mean that i wont have a humanity (except for RE but apparently that doesnt count as a humanity?)

Someone mentioned to me that i wont have the English Baccalaureate then? Im kinda confused on what this is and when it will be enforced and recognised? Has it ever been used or is it new?

Could someone please explain!
Thanks

The EBacc is basically an additional certificate that certifies you have passes (A*-C) in a selection of subjects that the government thinks are important. In order to get the EBacc, you need passes in:

-English
-Mathematics
-A Humanity (defined by History or Geography)
-A Language
-Double or Triple Science

Whether or not the EBacc is important depends on who you ask. The Department of Education seems to think that it's incredibly important but in all honesty, it isn't. There's some incentive for schools to pressurise students into fulfilling the EBacc conditions because it will improve their position on the league table, but other than that there are no benefits. When it comes to applying to University, all that really matters is your grade - they won't give a damn whether or not you've got the EBacc.

It's important to mention that the EBacc isn't an extra subject or exam, it's simply a certificate stating that you have got good grades in a selection of subjects that Michael Gove approves of. If you like the idea of Michael Gove being proud of you, go for it. Personally, I don't really care and I don't think many other people do either.

Quick Reply

Latest