YousufAli96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am hoping to study computer science at univerisity and i am currently studying IT, Geography and Graphics... Would i find it hard to study computer science at uni?
YousufAli96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andinet)
I studied ICT, Art and Maths at A-Level, and am doing Computer Science at Uni - I haven't found it too challenging yet, although I am only in my first year! The fact that you're doing IT at the moment should mean that you won't have a problem
What kind of Maths related topics do you have to know or have a good understanding about for CS
jamesk93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some Computer Science courses require you to have done A level Maths.

I applied to Lancaster to do Computer Science and they accepted me but university of Leeds on the other hand didn't allow me on because they said I would find the course too hard because I hadn't done A level Maths.

They gave me the option to do Information Technology in September so I'm probably going to go for that. It has a lot of the same modules as CS except it isnt really that mathematical.

Basically, look at the modules of the course and see how much maths are in each module. Lancaster doesnt seem to rely too heavily on Maths which will be the same for other universities but on the other hand, some will require you to be good at maths.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my husband didn't have maths a level and failed physics but still got in for computer science. to be fair though he did computing for a level and he had been programming for a while. he showed that he was passionate about it so he got in I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
YousufAli96
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesk93)
Some Computer Science courses require you to have done A level Maths.

I applied to Lancaster to do Computer Science and they accepted me but university of Leeds on the other hand didn't allow me on because they said I would find the course too hard because I hadn't done A level Maths.

They gave me the option to do Information Technology in September so I'm probably going to go for that. It has a lot of the same modules as CS except it isnt really that mathematical.

Basically, look at the modules of the course and see how much maths are in each module. Lancaster doesnt seem to rely too heavily on Maths which will be the same for other universities but on the other hand, some will require you to be good at maths.
Doesn't Lancaster teach you a module of maths?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends 'how high' you're applying. The more maths you do pre-uni the more prepared you will be for CompSci. IT A level has little resemblance
jamesk93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, I dont think It does.

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/und...bsc-hons-g400/

When I went the open day, I spoke to one of the lectures and asked if Id need A level maths to complete the course and not struggle and they said that Id be fine with it so long as I focused and attended the lectures 0_o
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're going to find it hard anywhere above top 15 without maths or at least computing, realistically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.39%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.04%
I need help with my personal statement (56)
40.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.18%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.16%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads