The Student Room Group

Anyone else have a weird taste in music?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
timeflies' freestyles, which is apparently weird
Original post by Beatlemania
I prefer 60s music. Favourite band are The Beatles but I love The Kinks, Bob Dylan, The Who and The Rolling Stones. All music from that generation is top quality. I'm into the psychedelic stuff as well: Cream, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc.

I'm also a massive fan of David Bowie, The Jam, The Smiths, Oasis and Joy Division. The more recent musicians I listen to are Arctic Monkeys, Jake Bugg and I quite like Amy McDonald.

I have a pretty similar music taste (bold), though I prefer 80s/90s music more.

I don't think your music taste is weird at all.
I'm currently listening The Police :tongue: What upsets me is when I mention 'older' bands and people don't know who I'm talking about...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SophF_rth
I have a pretty similar music taste (bold), though I prefer 80s/90s music more.

I don't think your music taste is weird at all.
I'm currently listening The Police :tongue: What upsets me is when I mention 'older' bands and people don't know who I'm talking about...

Oh nice! Always good to hear/see someone with the same taste. I like The Police, favourite has to be 'Walking On The Moon'. Quite a good songwriter is Sting.

Yeah, it's people's ignorance that sometimes annoys me. I always end up in debates. The "these are better than what you like" argument has no valid point!
Original post by Beatlemania
Oh nice! Always good to hear/see someone with the same taste. I like The Police, favourite has to be 'Walking On The Moon'. Quite a good songwriter is Sting.

Yeah, it's people's ignorance that sometimes annoys me. I always end up in debates. The "these are better than what you like" argument has no valid point!

Likewise. Personally I can't choose a favourite song due to Sting being a good songwriter as you said.
Yup, that happens to me, I tend to give in though and tell the other person to listen to whatever pleases them.
Can I ask about your opinion of U2? Their music and also Bono, from my experience opinions tend to be love/hate type thing.
Original post by SophF_rth
Likewise. Personally I can't choose a favourite song due to Sting being a good songwriter as you said.
Yup, that happens to me, I tend to give in though and tell the other person to listen to whatever pleases them.
Can I ask about your opinion of U2? Their music and also Bono, from my experience opinions tend to be love/hate type thing.

Yeah I do that. My housemates listen to a lot of pop where as I don't. These debates continue but as you said I just tell them whatever pleases them!

I don't really listen to U2 that much. I do like a few of their songs. I think they are one of those bands that really divides opinion. Why, do you listen to them a lot?
Having a different music taste is a good asset to have....just saying! It makes you a much more interesting person.

For me I like a odd mix of Deep House & Electronic, Classic Rock, Soundtracks, Jazz and Indie/alternative rock.

An odd combination but I wouldn't change it for anyone! :tongue:
I think my tastes are weird

I like Hans Zimmer, Thomas Berguson, Enya, Two Steps but also like listening to the Script and songs like 9 Crimes and Viva La Vida...
Reply 27
I have no choice, I'm forced to have a weird taste in music because 99.9999999999% of music is just so extremely trashy, I can't even put into words how much I dislike everything that others listen to.
Original post by Firenze26
My taste in music are contradictions, I like songs like Frozen's let it go, Lion King's Can you feel the love tonight and Mike Schimdt's Show you my love but I also like Last Resort by Papa Roach, Last Night by Skillet and I Hate Everything about you by Three Day Grace. I told my friends the former and they said that they expected it and told them the latter and asked me "You must be joking?".

They're awesome bands, just saying.

Had my phone music playlist on shuffle once in a study room playing out loud... had My Little Pony followed by Avenged Sevenfold come up. I wish I recorded the reactions :frown:

But yeah, otherwise, I'd say my taste in music was pretty ordinary, and not really that varied.
Reply 29
Original post by zhang-liao

Enya,

<3 (+ Clannad of course :tongue: )

Reckon my music taste is along the weirdest, everything from black/folk/industrial/general heavy metal (SuidAkra, Laibach, Sabaton, Killswitch) to hard rock, classic rock (Led Zep, Hendrix), Motown, jazz (Camarata, Ferguson etc), classical (Schubert, Rossini), huge amounts of film music inc Disney, musicals (Les Mis, Phantom), and a bit of poprock etc. Only thing I particularly dislike is Rap/Hip Hop, though there are, of course, exceptions

Doesn't really matter to be honest. Anyone that tells you your music taste is wrong or bad is utterly moronic. :wink:
Original post by Thr33
<3 (+ Clannad of course :tongue: )

:wink:

Not Clannad, I prefer her solo's..
Especially her LOTR soundtracks and Only Time..
Reply 31
Original post by zhang-liao
Not Clannad, I prefer her solo's..
Especially her LOTR soundtracks and Only Time..

How can you not <3 @ :frown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv6VW4tMZbE

Sorry, its just not my thing....
Anything with guitar and keyboard shredding is a big win with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by MidnightDream
I love Disney Soundtracks I just had a private session on Spotify so I can listen without my friends telling me they've lost all respect for me

How old are you out of interest? Know very few people who would ever judge on music taste...19yo 6'4 guy and pretty much all friends solely declare my soft spot for Disney to be ironic (given the metal thing) yet hilarious and/or cute. Heh.
Original post by Thr33
How old are you out of interest? Know very few people who would ever judge on music taste...19yo 6'4 guy and pretty much all friends solely declare my soft spot for Disney to be ironic (given the metal thing) yet hilarious and/or cute. Heh.

I'm 17 :smile:
I like Slowdive, Dead can Dance and much of the stuff that gets played on the BBCs' Late Junction.
I'm a showtune junkie but I also have some love for Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. I'm quite into YouTube songs like **** Up and The Legend of Zelda Rap. A few anomalies on my phone like Call Me (Blondie) and Cheek to Cheek (Fred Astaire).
my music taste isn't that weird, I love all music!! I literally have every genre on my phone, I think I listen the most to either metal, country, indie/alternative or kpop (I <3 kpop)... Oh and classical music when I'm revising!
Original post by Abby_W31
Rather than most modern music I prefer some of the stuff that my parents listen to and I also prefer some Disney sound tracks to some of todays music like 1D or whoever.

Seriously, my top five played songs in Itunes are-
1) Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
2) Footloose
3) Can you Feel the Love tonight?
4) Dance with me tonight (Yes by Olly Murs but off the Muppets sound track. I'd also like the original but haven't bothered buying it because I have this version)
5)Mamma Mia

What about you?

I absolutely love Beautiful South! I've got quite a varied taste in music too, I love the old Soul/RnB such as Stevie Wonder, Toni Braxton, Gladys Knight, Drifters etc. At the moment I'm loving Foxes, London Grammar and Sam Smith!

Quick Reply

Latest