ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Over the next few years, I'd like to learn a couple of new languages. There's no real rush and therefore I feel I could maybe benefit from just teaching myself gradually. Is this possible?

I would ideally like to learn German and Russian. I understand that Russian may be a bit more complicated than German but still, could I teach myself or would it be best for me to have actual lessons at some point?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ryan9900)
Over the next few years, I'd like to learn a couple of new languages. There's no real rush and therefore I feel I could maybe benefit from just teaching myself gradually. Is this possible? (...)
Yes, it is. If you are an autodidact person who never give up to learn the bases and subleties of a foreign language, then it is possible. If you need help in German, do let me know. German is my native language!
serebro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Over the next few years, I'd like to learn a couple of new languages. There's no real rush and therefore I feel I could maybe benefit from just teaching myself gradually. Is this possible?

I would ideally like to learn German and Russian. I understand that Russian may be a bit more complicated than German but still, could I teach myself or would it be best for me to have actual lessons at some point?
It depends on a LOT of factors. I'm learning French and Spanish at school, but I have taught myself German to a moderate level and Russian to a basic level. I'm currently teaching myself Japanese for further study. (It's hard haha)

Can you speak any other languages? If you can, you will find the process rather straightforward and you probably won't need to get a teacher.

If you cannot, I recommend you get lessons from a teacher as they can get you on the right track to learning a language, and the lessons encourage you to get discipline.

Also, how motivated are you? Learning languages is a little bit like dieting, you have to do it little and often. Try to pick a language that matches your level of motivation and time length. Your study sessions need to be consistent and simple.

I probably wouldn't recommend Russian for you. The alphabet is surprisingly easy but it stops there. The grammar is an *** and the pronunciation can cause a bit of confusion. German is easier in general, but they do have some similar grammar and it is considered one of the harder European languages in general.

Easier yet still fun alternatives are: French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian or Swedish

If you've got any questions or need to some advice, feel free to quote me or PM me. Good luck! Languages are fun and good for the brain!
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by serebro)
It depends on a LOT of factors. I'm learning French and Spanish at school, but I have taught myself German to a moderate level and Russian to a basic level. I'm currently teaching myself Japanese for further study. (It's hard haha)

Can you speak any other languages? If you can, you will find the process rather straightforward and you probably won't need to get a teacher.

If you cannot, I recommend you get lessons from a teacher as they can get you on the right track to learning a language, and the lessons encourage you to get discipline.

Also, how motivated are you? Learning languages is a little bit like dieting, you have to do it little and often. Try to pick a language that matches your level of motivation and time length. Your study sessions need to be consistent and simple.

I probably wouldn't recommend Russian for you. The alphabet is surprisingly easy but it stops there. The grammar is an *** and the pronunciation can cause a bit of confusion. German is easier in general, but they do have some similar grammar and it is considered one of the harder European languages in general.

Easier yet still fun alternatives are: French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian or Swedish

If you've got any questions or need to some advice, feel free to quote me or PM me. Good luck! Languages are fun and good for the brain!
To be honest, learning Russian on my own wasn't something I planned to do. Although German I think would be possible.

I don't fluently speak any other languages but I picked up French very easily at school at I only did that for 3 years. It's worse off a bit now but I've no doubt that if I had kept it up then I would be fluent in French now.

I'm quite good at learning new things and even though I haven't had much experience, I feel that it is something I would like to try and therefore would probably do quite well.

I really appreciate your advice as it backed up most of what I thought but also helped me understand what I need to do. Thanks
Aylish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

yes Busuu is your best place to start.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aylish)
yes Busuu is your best place to start.
I can't recommend this page to learn new languages. Without payment, it is not a good method to teach yourself.
Aylish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I can't recommend this page to learn new languages. Without payment, it is not a good method to teach yourself.
I now understand its not even credited, so yeah sorry for recommending that.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aylish)
I now understand its not even credited, so yeah sorry for recommending that.
Never mind. My recommendation is to visit a public elementary school to learn new languages there. And after teaching in such schools every single one of us has still the possibility to teach yourself to make improvements.
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can do it yourself but you will need either a) an existing knowledge of how language works or b) somebody who does to ask! For example as I already speak German, when it came to Russian, I could apply my existing knowledge of cases and declension to pick it up pretty easily. But if you aren't yet sure of what a 'case' *is*, both German and Russian will be pretty hard to pick up without someone to explain it or some pretty hardcore googling.

This isn't me saying don't do it however! I love languages, Russian is a great adventure and I would say go for it! Even though Busuu's actual teaching methods are pretty rubbish, the good feature is that you can write some German/Russian and get it checked by a native speaker pretty much the same day. Otherwise my favourite app is definitely Duolingo and where I would recommend any German beginner to start. As for Russian I started out with the Teach Yourself book 'Teach Yourself Russian Script'. It helps you get to grips with the alphabet but also teaches you some basic words. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads