The Student Room Group

Likelihood of Imperial accepting me..

Received an offer from imperial for Biomedical Engineering (masters) at A*A*A,

I am taking maths, physics and biology a level with further maths AS and before friday could have only achieved the A*'s in maths and physics.

On friday however i completely messed up my physics ISA and now am unlikely to get an A*. How likely is it that imperial would accept A*AA and A at AS (the AS they seem to have not mentioned) or do they not tend to accept lower.

Im assuming that the inflated offer which is higher that their requirements on the website, is because they were not particularly impressed with me but i didnt do bad enough to get rejected?

Hope anyone can help :smile:
I all depends on how many people miss their offers, so Imperial won't know themselves til they receive the A level results. Can you not retake the ISA?
Original post by PerryPerry95
Received an offer from imperial for Biomedical Engineering (masters) at A*A*A,

I am taking maths, physics and biology a level with further maths AS and before friday could have only achieved the A*'s in maths and physics.

On friday however i completely messed up my physics ISA and now am unlikely to get an A*. How likely is it that imperial would accept A*AA and A at AS (the AS they seem to have not mentioned) or do they not tend to accept lower.

Im assuming that the inflated offer which is higher that their requirements on the website, is because they were not particularly impressed with me but i didnt do bad enough to get rejected?

Hope anyone can help :smile:

You are misunderstanding the meaning of the range of grades asked for. In all cases, you should assume that you will be given the higher offer when a range is given, because that is the standard offer. The lower offer is for contextual offers - pupils at low achieving schools, or those with a particular combination of subjects which is desirable. They have obviously had a high number of applicants and revised their standard offer upwards to help with the selection process. They obviously liked you enough to give you their standard offer, so well done on that, because they have a huge number of candidates and don't have to compromise on who they offer to. The flip side of that, however, is that they don't have to compromise on results day either. If you miss the offer, they aren't going to be desperate to fill the course. It depends entirely on the performance of yourself compared to others holding offers, I'm afraid. Hope for the best but make contingency plans for the worst.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You are misunderstanding the meaning of the range of grades asked for. In all cases, you should assume that you will be given the higher offer when a range is given, because that is the standard offer. The lower offer is for contextual offers - pupils at low achieving schools, or those with a particular combination of subjects which is desirable. They have obviously had a high number of applicants and revised their standard offer upwards to help with the selection process. They obviously liked you enough to give you their standard offer, so well done on that, because they have a huge number of candidates and don't have to compromise on who they offer to. The flip side of that, however, is that they don't have to compromise on results day either. If you miss the offer, they aren't going to be desperate to fill the course. It depends entirely on the performance of yourself compared to others holding offers, I'm afraid. Hope for the best but make contingency plans for the worst.

Original post by x__justmyluck
I all depends on how many people miss their offers, so Imperial won't know themselves til they receive the A level results. Can you not retake the ISA?

Thanks for the replies and i understand the reasoning that it is not possible to say for sure whether they will accept a grade lower or not but I was just wondering if anybody knew if imperial tend to do it?
Original post by PerryPerry95
Thanks for the replies and i understand the reasoning that it is not possible to say for sure whether they will accept a grade lower or not but I was just wondering if anybody knew if imperial tend to do it?

This makes no difference at all to whether they will this year, it all depends on how many people firmed them and how many of those miss their offer. No one can tell you anything relevant to what will happen in your case.
Reply 5
Original post by x__justmyluck
This makes no difference at all to whether they will this year, it all depends on how many people firmed them and how many of those miss their offer. No one can tell you anything relevant to what will happen in your case.

ok
The most important thing is still to try and get the best grades you possibly can. If you manage to achieve A*AA, you do have a better chance of being let in than if you only mange AAA.

As others have said, what has happened in previous years won't neccessarily mean much for this year. There have been lots of changes to higher education and the application process relatively recently, which means things have been very unpredictable (look at last year's clearing for example). As well as this, I think there are no A2 January exams any more this year? This could lead to more people missing their grades than in the past few years.

However, Imperial can of course reject you if you don't meet your offer. What is your insurance place asking for, and would you be happy to go there?
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The most important thing is still to try and get the best grades you possibly can. If you manage to achieve A*AA, you do have a better chance of being let in than if you only mange AAA.

As others have said, what has happened in previous years won't neccessarily mean much for this year. There have been lots of changes to higher education and the application process relatively recently, which means things have been very unpredictable (look at last year's clearing for example). As well as this, I think there are no A2 January exams any more this year? This could lead to more people missing their grades than in the past few years.

However, Imperial can of course reject you if you don't meet your offer. What is your insurance place asking for, and would you be happy to go there?

I doubt Imperial will enter Clearing at all this year, though. They're harsh with letting people in who have missed their grades.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yl95
I doubt Imperial will enter Clearing at all this year, though. They're harsh with letting people in who have missed their grades.

Sorry, my post wasn't meant to suggest Imperial were likely to enter clearing, just an example that last year shows it is hard to make firm predictions about what universities will/won't do at the moment. I doubt anyone would have predicted say Durham would enter clearing last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending