The Student Room Group

Britons view Russia more favourably than both EU and EU Parliament

Russia in Ashcroft polls was viewed more favourably than both the EU and EU Parliament is this a sign the EU is failing in Britain?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/britons-rate-russia-more-positively-than-eu-poll-498934?curl=1395558297

Scroll to see replies

At least Russia is a democracy
This really doesn't surprise me.
This is good imo.
Reply 4
It seems shocking but on further reflection it is not a surprise. One of the things which has a deep effect on people's emotions is that the EU is faceless. No human faces attach to the institution or speak for it. It is a faceless entity.
Original post by Old_Simon
It seems shocking but on further reflection it is not a surprise. One of the things which has a deep effect on people's emotions is that the EU is faceless. No human faces attach to the institution or speak for it. It is a faceless entity.

And yet it dictates to us. That is a perfectly valid reason to be opposed to it.
Original post by Green Marble
At least Russia is a democracy

No it isn't.
Original post by felamaslen
No it isn't.

Well it is.

So is the EU.

Neither if which are particularly transparent however in their democratic nature.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Well it is.

So is the EU.

Neither if which are particularly transparent however in their democratic nature.

The people may vote, but they don't have rights. Corruption is rife. It's a plutocracy and always has been, since the days of the tsars.
Listen to Putin's speeches and tell me what Western leader speaks like that. I think he's great for Russia and that's why they hate him. He has Russia's interests at heart first, Ukraine is just being used by the West because Ukraine is poor they think the EU will solve their problems they're ignorant because the EU's done more harm than good ask the people of Greece.
Reply 10
I can't get over the fact that Putin looks like a badass supervillian ><
Reply 11
Probably because Cameron is a Robbin **** and the EU is a bunch of faggots who love raping Britain.

Original post by Gjaykay
I can't get over the fact that Putin looks like a badass supervillian ><

16_superputin_g_1200_SML.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm going to bet that, whilst Russia is not particularly democratic, it's because at least he is influential and charismatic. The only European leader with a backbone is Merkel.
Reply 13
People respect power, Putin appears decisive and powerful so he gains support. Hence why his annexation of the Crimea is going to do wonders for his short term popularity. However when people start focusing on the corruption, stagnating economy and reduction of rights they will begin to slide again.
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
People respect power

I was wondering why my local council came above China. I need wonder no more. Though Brazil beats my local council, it's about time we got Brazil to empty our bins.
(edited 10 years ago)
Putin is a straight talking man. Unlike most the politicians across Europe out for their proxy wars.
Original post by felamaslen
The people may vote, but they don't have rights. Corruption is rife. It's a plutocracy and always has been, since the days of the tsars.

If america isn't a plutocracy I don't know what is. The difference being America's plutocracy is a bit more benevolent towards its citizens.
Reply 17
I think people view Russia as a country that looks after its own interests and wish we were the same, when it comes to world politics. Can't see any of those voters emigrating there any time soon though.

It's a dig at our government and opposition to the EU, why do you think people negatively call it the EUSSR? Not because we want to be like Russia that's for sure! But as far as world politics go, they aren't too bad.
Reply 18
Original post by Creat0r
I think people view Russia as a country that looks after its own interests and wish we were the same, when it comes to world politics.

Parliment at Westminster comes out above Russia. In the minds of UKIPers the EU is worse than North Korea.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/LORD-ASHCROFT-EUROPE-ON-TRIAL.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
What's the difference between President Putin and President Barroso?

One is elected the other is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending