I failed a core law module, how can I get a QLD (Qualifying Law Degree)?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
La Sunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am now in my final year of uni but in my first year I failed my criminal law module which is also a core module, this means that my degree when I graduate might not be a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD).

I would like to know if it is possible for me to re-take the criminal law module separately in any other institution, in order to get a passing grade which may entitle me to a QLD.

The situation surrounding me failing the criminal law module was that:

I sat the original exam, after which I submitted a successful mitigating circumstance claim for a medical reason. I was able to re-sit for full marks through an essay and I ended up answering the wrong titled question (I answered the essay for coursework re-sits, instead of the essay for exam re-sits). The university refused a 2nd re-sit as this is against their policy, stating that it is up to the discretion of the Solicitors Society to award me a QLD if I fail one module, however if I fail two then I cannot receive a QLD.

As my backup plan I have tried searching various things on google to find out whether there is an institution through which I can take a criminal law module separately, but so far I have not found anything.

Sorry for this looong query, it would be amazing if anybody had information or guidance as to what I could do to get a QLD.
bc9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which university did you go to, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in first year and failed my criminal retake.
The university has told me to partially repeat without attendance. Only missed by 4%
Really don't know what to do now!
Ava20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by La Sunshine)
I am now in my final year of uni but in my first year I failed my criminal law module which is also a core module, this means that my degree when I graduate might not be a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD).

I would like to know if it is possible for me to re-take the criminal law module separately in any other institution, in order to get a passing grade which may entitle me to a QLD.

The situation surrounding me failing the criminal law module was that:

I sat the original exam, after which I submitted a successful mitigating circumstance claim for a medical reason. I was able to re-sit for full marks through an essay and I ended up answering the wrong titled question (I answered the essay for coursework re-sits, instead of the essay for exam re-sits). The university refused a 2nd re-sit as this is against their policy, stating that it is up to the discretion of the Solicitors Society to award me a QLD if I fail one module, however if I fail two then I cannot receive a QLD.

As my backup plan I have tried searching various things on google to find out whether there is an institution through which I can take a criminal law module separately, but so far I have not found anything.

Sorry for this looong query, it would be amazing if anybody had information or guidance as to what I could do to get a QLD.
Hey I’m sorry to reply to a thread from a while ago! I wondered whether you managed to sort the situation out in the end?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (251)
57.44%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (58)
13.27%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.76%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (38)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.35%

Watched Threads