The Student Room Group

Not sure what road to turn.

Hi all (feel free to move to correct forum if need be)

I am in need of some help and other peoples opinions. I am stuck in a rut at the moment and not quite sure on what I want to do or what my best options are.

Little background:

Me: Mid twenties and currently working full time in a job I can't stand. I earn around £15000 a year. (I know terrible!). I currently do not have a degree. And I have absolutely no help from Parents, money or knowledge wise.

My ex-girlfriend of 3.5 years who is a few years older than me has decided we are becoming distant and has decided to end the relationship. She also works full time, has a degree and is going to do more studying soon.

Now, our plan was to keep working while saving for a deposit on a house and start a family soon. We were more than half way there on our deposit when we broke up.

The news has left me pretty devastated. And I'm in the situation where instead of moping around being miserable I should use the energy to invest in myself and carve a decent living on my own first.

(I want to study Film Production and become a member of a production team/video editor/something like that)
And at the moment I am thinking of 2 routes.

1. Do an extended Diploma in Film Production and go onto University studying Film Production. (either locally or 2 hour drive away)
or
2. Do an Access Diploma and then onto University studying Film Production. (either locally or 2 hour drive away)
The problems going through my mind are,

- I am 25 and going back into education is going to be a major blow to my income. If I can find a part time job I'll be able to manage through College and Student Loan will hopefully be enough.

- The time I am finished with my degree I will be 30/31. I'm hoping a degree will help me secure a better paying job than I am on currently and I can hopefully work my way into a job that suits my degree more.

I suppose the questions I'm asking are

Is it worth me going back into education where I will have no help from anyone else money wise (nor do I expect any it's just more difficult when you're older)
OR
Should I keep looking for better paying jobs, try to find another partner and settle down?
OR
Try to find an open uni course and study that while working full time (I will find this incredibly difficult!)

Do you have any thoughts or tips on what you would possibly do in this situation?

I really don't want to be stuck in a dead end job with nothing to offer a future partner.

Thanks.
Take the next right.
You my friend :yy::yy::top::top::top:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending