What is the highest grade you have gotten in English Literature at uni? Watch

accountdh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Or what is the highest you have heard someone getting? I heard somebody got an 80 on my course once. The highest I ever got was 76. I also know someone who got a 78, but that was in creative writing, which is easy. I have spoken to some lecturers and they say the highest they will give is 76. It seem quite difficult to get a high first when a lot of the lecturers only mark that high.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is common to many Arts/Humanities subjects/courses - many lecturers only mark above 75 in exceptional circumstances.
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by accountdh)
It seems quite difficult to get a high first when a lot of the lecturers only mark that high.
In some marking schemes being consistently very good is much better than being normally decent with flashes of absolute brilliance. And, considering it from an employer's point of view, you can imagine that in a lot of businesses employing someone who's consistently very good is preferable to employing someone who's normally decent with flashes of brilliance—though I'm never quite sure how much weight employers put on the difference between a 2.1 and a First.

The highest mark for an English essay that I've confirmed, by which I mean seen with my own eyes, is 88. The essay was a reading of Ovid's treatment of Medea, coupled with a reading of Gower's reading of Ovid's treatment of Medea. The student didn't use translations for either text (I don't know if there even are translations of Confessio Amantis) and read Ovid's Latin as confidently as they read Gower's Middle English. Since I saw that mark I've wondered whether it was entirely fair: it was a great essay, but did the student benefit from knowing Latin which is, after all, not the primary subject of an English course?
accountdh
Rep:
?
Yeah, that essays sounds great QHF, and I see what you mean. It sounds like someone handed in a classics essay which dazzled the regular literature professors!
accountdh
Rep:
?
Woo got a 78 in my dissertation, and an 81 on a Romantic poetry essay about odes!
QuantumSuicide
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, that's all great and all but good luck finding a job

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads