The Student Room Group

What A-Levels would be best for someone who wants to go into Journalism?

I definitely want to go into Journalism once I leave school, however I don't know if the A-Levels I've chosen to take will benefit me.
The A-Levels I've chosen are English Lit, Sociology, History and Govt + Politics. Are these suitable A-Levels? T
Reply 1
yes, as well as eng lit, universities like history & politics as they're essay writing subjects :smile: you should be fine x
Reply 2
Those are great subjects for journalism
Original post by connielouisexx
I definitely want to go into Journalism once I leave school, however I don't know if the A-Levels I've chosen to take will benefit me.
The A-Levels I've chosen are English Lit, Sociology, History and Govt + Politics. Are these suitable A-Levels? T

Those subjects sound pretty good. Id stick with those.
Reply 4
I'd say your choices are awesome.
Thank-you all! :smile:

maybe media, drama, dance and art
Reply 7
I'd go for English Lit, psychology, Govt+Politics and either English Lang or History :smile:
You don't need to study a 'Journalism' course at Uni to work in Journalism. Most of the best known Journos (BBC, newspapers etc) never went anywhere near such a course. They did English, Politics, History, Economics etc at Uni, wrote anything/everything for any student publication they could and then got themselves an NCTJ training job on graduation.

Here is the relevant website - http://www.nctj.com/ You need to read *all* of the info carefully - especially this bit - http://www.nctj.com/journalism-qualifications

Your A-levels choices are sound, but it's far more important to start getting experience right now. Whether you intend to take a journalism-focused course at uni or go straight into the industry after sixth form, the key thing that employers/admissions staff will be looking for is that you've made the effort to get relevant work experience. If you're not blogging already: start. Then approach as many relevant publications (online and off) for work experience/internship opportunities that you can take up in your school holidays. Not only will this experience help you into the career/degree you're after, it will also help you to decide if journalism is definitely the right path for you.
Very sound advice above. No course can 'teach you how to write' - you learn that only by doing it.

If you can't show either an employer or a University that you are actively involved in writing beyond writing essays for school, they will rightly conclude that you are 'just playing at it'. Its very easy to tell everyone at home 'I'm going to be a journalist' without doing any writing but at some point you really do have to compete in the real world. If that all seems too terrifying, then you need to re-think journalism - it definitely isn't a job for lightweights.
Reply 11
For a Journalism degree these A Levels are really good! Just be wary about carrying Sociology onto A2 if you drop another subject, because it's not exactly a fan favourite of universities. Ignore 'precious maro', as neither art, dance or media will strengthen your application. You may consider Eng.Lang. instead of Sociology, but there's really no point. Also, if the EPQ is available to you as an extra either this year or next, make absolutely sure that you do it.

Quick Reply

Latest