The Student Room Group

Manchester or Edinburgh for Chemistry ?

So, I've got offers from all my universities, and now I have to decide which one I actually want to go.:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

Can't really make my mind up between Manchester and Edinburgh, so I want to gather some opinions :colondollar: so, HELP please?:colondollar:
Things to think about.

Have you been to both departments, what did you think? How about the local area?

Have you had a good look at the course differences to see which may appeal more to your interests?

Did they give you the same offer? Make sure you put an insurance you'd be happy to attend, not just the lowest offer you received.
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
Things to think about.

Have you been to both departments, what did you think? How about the local area?

Have you had a good look at the course differences to see which may appeal more to your interests?

Did they give you the same offer? Make sure you put an insurance you'd be happy to attend, not just the lowest offer you received.

I've visited Uni of Manchester before, but not Edinburgh :smile: Although I did go on Google images to check out Edinburgh, if that counts :colondollar:

Edinburgh's offer is ABB ( which is the lowest of all my offers ) , and Manchester's offer is AAA, but they did say if I don't get AAA they'd still take me for a Bsc instead (ABB). So no matter which one I firm I will get in ( or else i'd have to resit a year :frown: )

The main thing I want to find out is which one has better teaching quality and more respected by employers.
Original post by azsxdcvf95
I've visited Uni of Manchester before, but not Edinburgh :smile: Although I did go on Google images to check out Edinburgh, if that counts :colondollar:

Not really :p: I'd strongly suggest you at least visit the place before deciding to study there for 3/4 years :smile:

The main thing I want to find out is which one has better teaching quality and more respected by employers.

You will quite likely find good and bad teaching at both, but I have no direct experience of either departments (and few people will have experience of more than one).

Different employers will have different views unsurprisingly, but both places are well respected for chemistry. If you go for chemistry related jobs then the difference will be insignificant. If you go for a non-chemistry related career they're both well known cities and Russell Group members - so that shouldn't be too much of an issue on that front either.
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
Not really :p: I'd strongly suggest you at least visit the place before deciding to study there for 3/4 years :smile:

You will quite likely find good and bad teaching at both, but I have no direct experience of either departments (and few people will have experience of more than one).

Different employers will have different views unsurprisingly, but both places are well respected for chemistry. If you go for chemistry related jobs then the difference will be insignificant. If you go for a non-chemistry related career they're both well known cities and Russell Group members - so that shouldn't be too much of an issue on that front either.

Thanks :smile: It's a 5 year course at the University of Edinburgh , they do offer an open day, I think it's from 10:30 - 3 or 4 o'clock ? Which means I'd have do catch the train at 5:20am-ish , way too early for me ! :s-smilie:
I think I'll try to visit the city on a weekend or something:tongue:
Original post by azsxdcvf95
Thanks :smile: It's a 5 year course at the University of Edinburgh , they do offer an open day, I think it's from 10:30 - 3 or 4 o'clock ? Which means I'd have do catch the train at 5:20am-ish , way too early for me ! :s-smilie:
I think I'll try to visit the city on a weekend or something:tongue:

Why not try going the night before? Plus as they're on a Friday, you can go around the city at the weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending