The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Questions for current students living on campus

Which dorm are you staying in?

Do you have enough room to store your own food and Is there enough fridge and cupboard space each?

How often do you need to do your food shop and how many days worth of food can you store?

Where do you do your food shop, do they have any student discounts?

How much do you spend on your food shop?

Do you have a freezer?

Do you have enough space in the kitchen to be able to make your own breakfast, lunch and dinner without getting in everybody elses way?

Have you ever had problems with people using up your food, how do you prevent this?

Is their enough space to store clothes in your room, how much space?

How often do you need to do your laundrey and how much does it cost you?

Do the dorms have cleaners, are the kitchens and bathrooms kept clean?

How many people do you have to a shower and toilet?

Does having to share it cause any problems or arguments, like who gets to use it first in the morning before going to class? Does it fit around everyones schedule ok?

Are the dorms warm enough durring the winter and is their air conditioning?

Are the dorms loud all the time, are you able to get sleep by at least 12 o'clock on weekdays when you have class to attend in the morning?

What time do most classes start at?

When do the student shops, library, canteen and union close?

How much is gym membership on campus?

Do you have a car, is there places to park or store it on campus and how much would that cost?
Reply 1
-I stayed in Murray Hall last year which is no longer there, it is much like geddes and I can answer some of your questions.

Do you have enough room to store your own food and Is there enough fridge and cupboard space each? had a cupboard each in murray and a fridge shelf. Kitchen was shared between 15 people which was the highest student/kitchen ratio of all halls. There will be more than enough space

How often do you need to do your food shop and how many days worth of food can you store? weekly and you can store the week if you are sensible

Where do you do your food shop, do they have any student discounts? Go to Aldi, its cheap as hell.

How much do you spend on your food shop? £20-£30 depending how hungry I am.

Do you have a freezer? Murray, no but unsure on others.http://www.stir.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/newundergraduates/ will tell you all about the various accommodation options. Go to accommodation facilities chart for a spreadsheet listing everything.

Do you have enough space in the kitchen to be able to make your own breakfast, lunch and dinner without getting in everybody elses way? Yes enough space as most people eat at different times.

Have you ever had problems with people using up your food, how do you prevent this? It happens but its expected in halls. Make sure you and your flatmates lock the kitchen though flatmates will often be the ones using it. Cheese, milk and bread disappear most.

Is their enough space to store clothes in your room, how much space? all have cupboard and drawers

How often do you need to do your laundrey and how much does it cost you? £2.20 per wash and £1 per dry

Do the dorms have cleaners, are the kitchens and bathrooms kept clean? Cleaners clean once a week but won't clean the kitchen if its a **** hole

Had 15 in murray to one shower and two toilets. Most are around the 8 per shower mark (I think)
Does having to share it cause any problems or arguments, like who gets to use it first in the morning before going to class? Does it fit around everyones schedule ok? Even with 15 it was rare I had to wait too long. Everyone runs on different schedules

Are the dorms warm enough durring the winter and is their air conditioning? More than warm enough, no air conditioning to my knowledge

Are the dorms loud all the time, are you able to get sleep by at least 12 o'clock on weekdays when you have class to attend in the morning? They can be loud at times but there's porters who deal with noise

What time do most classes start at? Classes are from 9am but Ive had one 9am class in two years

When do the student shops, library, canteen and union close? Campus shop 8am-12 midnight, the Union is 11am-12midnight, unsure on food places

How much is gym membership on campus? was £95 for the year but will likely go up a wee bit

Do you have a car, is there places to park or store it on campus and how much would that cost? First years aren't allowed to get a car parking permit.

Also many awesome clubs and societies at Stirling. Join Paintball as we're awesome! www.facebook.com/SUPSonline
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
I'm going to leave out the answers to questions that McSpoon already answered (about the shops etc).

- I'm staying in Geddes Court.

Do you have enough room to store your own food and Is there enough fridge and cupboard space each?
- There is plenty of cupboard space, fridges are quite stacked to be honest. There's 14 of us (one moved out and one never uses the kitchen) so some of us have their own shelf in the fridge, others have to share. It all depends on what kind of food people eat and how much of it they store in the fridge.

How often do you need to do your food shop and how many days worth of food can you store?
- I do my food shopping about once a week.

Where do you do your food shop, do they have any student discounts?
- We order food together with a few of my flatmates from ASDA. But like McSpoon said, Aldi would be the cheapest choice.

How much do you spend on your food shop?
- Totally depends on what I want to eat. Usually about £25 a week I think.

Do you have a freezer?
- Nope.

Do you have enough space in the kitchen to be able to make your own breakfast, lunch and dinner without getting in everybody elses way?
- Usually, yes. People have different schedules so most of the time it's easy to cook in the kitchen without being in anyone else's way. The amount of dishes/other stuff on the kitchen counters is another matter, though...

Have you ever had problems with people using up your food, how do you prevent this?
- There have been a few incidents, yeah. Mostly it's been alcohol disappearing from the kitchen table after a night out when someone from another floor has come to our kitchen. Solution: lock your kitchen door.

Is their enough space to store clothes in your room, how much space?
- There is a big wardrobe as well as a huge overhead compartment where you can easily fit three suitcases (as I have done).

How often do you need to do your laundrey and how much does it cost you?
- I do my laundry about every two weeks. It's £2.20 for a wash and £1.00 for a dry.

Do the dorms have cleaners, are the kitchens and bathrooms kept clean?
- Yeah, the cleaners come and clean the toilets, bathroom and kitchen three times a week I think.

- There's 16 people, one bathtub, two showers in the same room and three toilets.

Does having to share it cause any problems or arguments, like who gets to use it first in the morning before going to class? Does it fit around everyones schedule ok?
- No problems whatsoever. I've only had to wait to take a shower a few times and even then I only had to wait for less than five minutes.

Are the dorms warm enough durring the winter and is their air conditioning?
- Geddes is like a sauna. There's no air conditioning.

Are the dorms loud all the time, are you able to get sleep by at least 12 o'clock on weekdays when you have class to attend in the morning?
- They can be very loud, yes. I would say the loudest nights are Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I recommend ear plugs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending