bethany1073
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I am doing Geography A Level.... we have about 30 different case studies to learn.... how do you learn all of them? Any techniques will be very helpful :P
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This isn't exactly the same as I only did Geography at GCSE, but I had a fait few to learn too- I used to make coloured mind maps of each case study

Posted from TSR Mobile
bethany1073
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ah okay, did that help you to learn most of facts/figures? they're the bits i struggle to remember.
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, it really did I managed to get an A in both Human and Physical exams so I'm guessing it helped I miss doing Geography tbh, I loved it a GCSE!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bethany1073)
So I am doing Geography A Level.... we have about 30 different case studies to learn.... how do you learn all of them? Any techniques will be very helpful :P
for A level it is important to know a few facts and figures about the case study but it is best to know how to apply these case studies in exams. what i do is rewrite my notes in bullet point form but i also answer lots of practice paper questions and write articles on my blog that relate to what i learn in my lessons as that helps to reinforce what i learnt. also for A2 you need lots of general knowledge, some essays in exams require you to just know things so take a keen interest in geographical topics you hear in the news, if there is something you think you could make use of, research it yourself and make notes about it, you are more likely to remember it cause you found it out yourself
albany-geography
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also doing A level geography and I feel your pain, there are so so so many case studies!! I think to start revising as soon as possible is good because that means by the time you reach the exam you can just go back over them to refresh your memory instead of actually trying to learn them. Like the person above me said, it's important to remember the key facts and figures as this is what will impress the examiner - also knowing which case studies belong to which questions e.g. in rivers whether the case study is to do with flooding, management or human activities (for example). I find that having them all clearly organised really helps but when it comes down to it there is still a lot of information to take it... the first 5 are probably the hardest because after that they tend to have similarities good luck
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bethany1073)
there are several ways i learn case studies for geography A level:
  • firstly, i rewrite my notes in bullet point form, highlight key words then type these notes up as a word document, that way i am actively reading over my notes 3 times
  • secondly, i try and make my own case studies up from events that happen in the news as if you make the case study yourself it is more interesting and so it will be easier to remember. for example, 2 of my case studies for flooding come from the floods that have happened in the UK, and are made up of notes i gathered from news articles and things i experienced myself. i know these case studies well and i haven't revised them yet.
  • past papers-as always these help you to learn them as you will be applying them in essays. even if you don't want to write out the whole essay, just planning what you might write for an essay question will help you remember the key things you need to about those case studies

hope this helps
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oops just realised i have answered this question twice sorry :facepalm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?