Money incentive for grades Watch

oscarmason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you think if the government offered a money incentive for grades, at GCSE and A Level, it could encourage people to take subjects more seriously and hopefully improve their academic achievement? Discuss.
precious maro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
YES. Because money drive people to do these things in the first place
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it would, well it would for me anyhoo
Em.rebecca98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I can imagine so x
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not at all. If I'm not interested in something, I don't like to learn it. Money wouldn't change that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it would, especially for the poorer students.

I ruled out london universities solely on the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford living there, even with bursaries.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They do it in Russia - uni students get their stipend based on what grades they got. If you're poor then you basically have to be smart and get good grades, otherwise you don't have enough money to live on.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oscarmason)
Do you think if the government offered a money incentive for grades, at GCSE and A Level, it could encourage people to take subjects more seriously and hopefully improve their academic achievement? Discuss.
Basing EMA and tuition fees on results would have definitely been fairer, and an incentive
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They shouldn't have to. Parents and teachers should tell them about the importance of learning as well as the importance of good grades for their future.

I am however in favour of subsidised/ no fees for the best students at Universities.
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not really, unless it was a lot of money; getting good grades is really tough, and getting, say, a £50 gift voucher, won't realistically motivate a person to work hours a day for perhaps many weeks on end (especially for a levels); the reward for getting a grade is the grade itself; putting a pecuniary benefit onto that grade directly isn't putting out the message of the value of grades very well, you should, instead, show how these grades matter in the employment world
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It would work, yes. Not on everyone, but on quite a few people, provided it was a reward worth having. Monetary reward is probably the most effective motivator at that age. It would work, but I wouldn't support it.

Giving people money to not rob people would work as well, but I wouldn't support that either.

I find the idea of paying someone to do what they're supposed to do quite absurd.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Shouldn't the fact that you're getting a good grade for your subject be an incentive in and of itself?

If not, then you don't deserve to be paid for it.
daisychain_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably, but it's unlikely it will happen any time soon.
TerribleTej
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it would work, but isn't there already a money incentive by getting good grades? If you get good grades you are most likely to go to the best universities and thus get higher pay. Also why should someone be giving money in order to get you to work, you work hard for yourself you dont work hard for the good of others. Though most people don't realise that anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads