AS sociology essays HOW? Watch

catherinepkli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
-AS Sociology AQA-
I find it extremely difficult to write an A grade one under timed conditions. I heard that you have to give 5 paragraphs with 5 PEE, point evidence and evaluation, with introduction and conclusion which makes all 7 paragraphs in total. Unfortunately, there are only one minute for you to get one mark on average in the exam. Can someone teach me how to write standard essays for both Unit 1 and Unit 2 please?
HelloGoodbye
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got an A for AS sociology with As in both units so hopefully I'll try and be of use.

I didn't stick to a certain number of paragraphs, I wrote however much I needed to write all my points. Definitely do PEE, always remember to CRITICISE, you won't get marks for evaluation if you don't.
In the introduction, write the definition of whatever theory/concept is in the question and briefly mention what sociologists you're going to discuss.

Sociology is the worst thing ever to revise just because of how many theories you have to remember (A2 is even worse!), but do as many exam questions as possible, it'll help you remember the theories.

I didn't even spend that much time revising unit 2 but went over the mark schemes which really helped.
catherinepkli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by HelloGoodbye)
I got an A for AS sociology with As in both units so hopefully I'll try and be of use.

I didn't stick to a certain number of paragraphs, I wrote however much I needed to write all my points. Definitely do PEE, always remember to CRITICISE, you won't get marks for evaluation if you don't.
In the introduction, write the definition of whatever theory/concept is in the question and briefly mention what sociologists you're going to discuss.

Sociology is the worst thing ever to revise just because of how many theories you have to remember (A2 is even worse!), but do as many exam questions as possible, it'll help you remember the theories.

I didn't even spend that much time revising unit 2 but went over the mark schemes which really helped.
Thank you very much indeed!! Have you ever found problems or pressure doing it in such limited time though? Any idea how much time you should spend on each paragraph?

Another important question: For 12-mark questions, as mini essays, do you need to include an introduction and a conclusion with the 3 paragraphs as well?
HelloGoodbye
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by catherinepkli)
Thank you very much indeed!! Have you ever found problems or pressure doing it in such limited time though? Any idea how much time you should spend on each paragraph?

Another important question: For 12-mark questions, as mini essays, do you need to include an introduction and a conclusion with the 3 paragraphs as well?
At first it was difficult writing essays under timed conditions, but you get better with practice. I'm not sure about paragraphs, but on a 24 mark question, don't spend more than 20 minutes. On a 12 mark question, try not to spend more than 12 minutes etc.

You don't need to write an introduction and conclusion for the 12 markers, but I'd write just a line to say what I'm going to talk about. It doesn't need to be as long as the introduction in your 24 mark question. 3 paragraphs is fine for a 12 mark question, but don't limit yourself if you feel you have more points to write, unless you're running out of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads