The Student Room Group

Need help with Sociology essay! SCLY3 Beliefs, question inside!

Religion can be both an instigator of social change and a conservative force. To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view of religion?

i am very confused and dont know where to start this! please help me :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
My brief essay plan for this:
- Introduction
- What is conservative force and what is a social change
- theories arguing that religion is a Conservative force:
*Functionalism - religion is a Conservative force but it is good - saves norms and values, collective conscience etc.
*Marxism - conservative force and it is bad - legitimates the exploitation of proletariat by bourgeoisie, reproduces false-consciousness + is "opium of the masses"
*Feminism - conservative, ensures patriarchal control over women
*Fundamentalism - both conservative (saving values of the religion ) and force for change (challenging conventional religion as it doesn't follow exactly every word in Bible/Q'uran etc.
- theories claiming religion is a force for change:
*Neo-marxism - relative autonomy of religion + liberation theology
*Weber - example of Calvinism (protestantism) causing Capitalism - "The Protestant Ethic and the spirit of capitalism"
*Postmodernism - NRMs - new age spirituality, mention Lyotard - metanrratives, there is no single objective truth + mention Lyon "Jesus in Disneyland" religious plurality
- Conclusion

As far as I remember that's it, but I'm not sure as I just had coffee and it is after 1 already. I'll be quite happy to come to this thread and revise with people, I think we all need at least a bit of help with Sociology :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending