boeing737ng
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

Could someone point me in the right direction as to the RAF's involvement with major military operations across the world since 1980? I am preparing for my filter interview and would not like to waste time and instead 'home in' on the important stuff. I thought the Gulf War and Afghanistan being the main ones? What about NATO's intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia? Were the RAF involved in these conflicts substantially?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All of this is really ridiculously easy to find online. If you don't know how then, to be blunt, you're probably not the kind of person the RAF is looking for...
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agree with Drewski, if you don't know this stuff already, why are you applying? You clearly don't have the enthusiasm towards or the knowledge of who you're applying to.
teasin_tina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boeing737ng)
Hi,

Could someone point me in the right direction as to the RAF's involvement with major military operations across the world since 1980? I am preparing for my filter interview and would not like to waste time and instead 'home in' on the important stuff. I thought the Gulf War and Afghanistan being the main ones? What about NATO's intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia? Were the RAF involved in these conflicts substantially?

Thank you for your help in advance.
You really don't need to know past ops to this extent. I've had three filter interviews and one OASC interview and the most I was ever asked pre-Afghanistan was the one question; 'when was the war with Argentina?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
boeing737ng
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChrisLincoln)
Hi Boeing737ng

Here are a few of the operations since 1982 Falklands War, however it is unlikely you will be asked in detail about the pre-Telic operations. I would advise learning a summary of each conflict and our involvement, then look into more detail at Telic/Ellamy/Herrick. A sound understanding of the Falklands War is reasonably relevant due to the recent Argentine leadership's rhetoric towards the UK. I'll say no more as part of selection for becoming an Officer in the Royal Air Force is learning to find this information yourself and learning what you need to take from the information.

Op Corporate
Op Black Buck
Op Engadine (NATO Op Allied Force)
Op Granby
Op Telic
Op Herrick
Op Ellamy

Good Luck.

Chris
Brilliant! Very helpful-thank you.
boeing737ng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
All of this is really ridiculously easy to find online. If you don't know how then, to be blunt, you're probably not the kind of person the RAF is looking for...
Thank you for the comment. I am working very hard for my filter interview, aptitude tests and fitness, and just really meant to ask for some help on what to focus on and what not to for the interview. I know the information is easy to find online, but I just wanted help from other people who may know the process better than me and guide me on what's important and what's not.
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChrisLincoln)
Hi Boeing737ng

Here are a few of the operations since 1982 Falklands War, however it is unlikely you will be asked in detail about the pre-Telic operations. I would advise learning a summary of each conflict and our involvement, then look into more detail at Telic/Ellamy/Herrick. A sound understanding of the Falklands War is reasonably relevant due to the recent Argentine leadership's rhetoric towards the UK. I'll say no more as part of selection for becoming an Officer in the Royal Air Force is learning to find this information yourself and learning what you need to take from the information.

Op Corporate
Op Black Buck
Op Engadine (NATO Op Allied Force)
Op Granby
Op Telic
Op Herrick
Op Ellamy

Good Luck.

Chris
Chris, sorry for being picky, but Op Corporate was the overall Operation name for the 10 week Falklands Conflict (they didn't want to call it a War - don't ask me why!) and the series of Black Buck raids (Vulcans supported by Victor tankers) against targets on the Falklands were an element of Corporate. As I said, just being picky.

For the OP, the selection process never used to ask anything about historical conflicts IIRC, so I don't know if this is a recent element or whether you just think they'd like to hear about your knowledge of past fisticuffs. More likely line of questioning would be where you think UK forces will be post Afghanistan and what they'll be structured to do after the next SDSR. That will test your understanding of the future role of the British military in a post Afghanistan world. And the best thing is you can be as creative as you like - for instance, what happens if Scotland says goodbye to the rest of Britain!

Fun fun fun!
teasin_tina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ikaruss)
Chris, sorry for being picky, but Op Corporate was the overall Operation name for the 10 week Falklands Conflict (they didn't want to call it a War - don't ask me why!) and the series of Black Buck raids (Vulcans supported by Victor tankers) against targets on the Falklands were an element of Corporate. As I said, just being picky.

For the OP, the selection process never used to ask anything about historical conflicts IIRC, so I don't know if this is a recent element or whether you just think they'd like to hear about your knowledge of past fisticuffs. More likely line of questioning would be where you think UK forces will be post Afghanistan and what they'll be structured to do after the next SDSR. That will test your understanding of the future role of the British military in a post Afghanistan world. And the best thing is you can be as creative as you like - for instance, what happens if Scotland says goodbye to the rest of Britain!

Fun fun fun!
I had a filter in February and definitely didn't have any questions on previous conflicts, just Afghanistan

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads