The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Geography (F763 & F764) June 2014

Poll

Which two Section B (essay) questions did you choose?

So, who else is sitting these exams?

It seems like the OCR geography people are hard to find!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Brookzy
So, who else is sitting these exams?

It seems like the OCR geography people are hard to find!

i completely agree with you. you are the first OCR person i have found in this site. how are you finding it all? I find the global issues topic really interesting and not too hard but the geographical skills one confuses me as it is so hard to know how to revise it
Reply 2
Original post by tgwktm
i completely agree with you. you are the first OCR person i have found in this site. how are you finding it all? I find the global issues topic really interesting and not too hard but the geographical skills one confuses me as it is so hard to know how to revise it

The A2 seems much better than AS. Really despised the AS course really! But I'm a lot better at essays so hopefully I'll be able to drag my (appalling) C grade to an A, or a B at least.

It seems a case of knowing the mark schemes, especially for the shorter questions. Hence I would rather do Edexcel geography, but there we go!
Reply 3
Original post by Brookzy
The A2 seems much better than AS. Really despised the AS course really! But I'm a lot better at essays so hopefully I'll be able to drag my (appalling) C grade to an A, or a B at least.

It seems a case of knowing the mark schemes, especially for the shorter questions. Hence I would rather do Edexcel geography, but there we go!

i have a good structure for the 30 mark questions now so i don;t mind them too much, overall i am quite confident about global issues but the skills paper i did the work for last year so the revision for it is almost relearning, we have just started going over it all again class. what was your fieldwork investigation about?
Hey, guys I did the OCR geography exam last year and managed to get an A overall. So, let me know if you need any help at all.
GOOD LUCK!
Reply 5
Original post by tgwktm
i have a good structure for the 30 mark questions now so i don;t mind them too much, overall i am quite confident about global issues but the skills paper i did the work for last year so the revision for it is almost relearning, we have just started going over it all again class. what was your fieldwork investigation about?

We did three investigations in north Wales:

To what extent does the River Conwy conform to river models?

What are the impacts of tourism in a seaside resort? A study of Llandudno, north Wales

How do environmental characteristics change over a sand dune succession? A study of the Aberffraw coast
Reply 6
Original post by Brookzy
We did three investigations in north Wales:

To what extent does the River Conwy conform to river models?

What are the impacts of tourism in a seaside resort? A study of Llandudno, north Wales

How do environmental characteristics change over a sand dune succession? A study of the Aberffraw coast

we did one investigation that was very similar to your third one it had the hypothesis of "the characteristics of the abiotic and biotic environments change with distance from the beach at Gwithian sand dunes"
our investigation day was fun, we spent a lot of time laughing and joking around (both my teachers are quite funny people :biggrin:) and this helped cheer up the mood since it rained heavily all the time we were there
Reply 7
Our investigation was looking at the microclimate along a shingle ridge. Teacher chose this because our ecosystem 30marker is also based on succession. I'm really dreading the 30marker for pop+resources, I'm really not confident on human GG at all
Reply 8
can anyone help me with case studies? our teacher has given us like 9 to learn for volcanoes and it seems ridiculous can someone help me and give me less but detailed ones for an exam question!:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by alexpugh5
can anyone help me with case studies? our teacher has given us like 9 to learn for volcanoes and it seems ridiculous can someone help me and give me less but detailed ones for an exam question!:frown:

that does seem like a lot, i have one given to me by my teacher and then one that i had to research myself. which case studies do you have at the moment?
well i may have over exaggerated but for volcanoes we have Montserrat pinatubo, mt st helens, eyja in iceland and for earthquakes we have kobe, sendai, haiti, christchurch, bam in iran and then a few for flooding.. but still I just think its so unnecessary that I have so many case studies gah!
Reply 11
well i may have over exaggerated but for volcanoes we have Montserrat pinatubo, mt st helens, eyja in iceland and for earthquakes we have kobe, sendai, haiti, christchurch, bam in iran and then a few for flooding.. but still I just think its so unnecessary that I have so many case studies gah!

for volcanoes, i have mt nyriagongo and montserrat although i could use mt st helens cause i still have my notes on it from gcse
for earthquakes i have japan 2011, haiti 2010, chile 2014
for flooding i have Helston floods 2012 (local scale), somerset floods 2013/14 (regional scale) UK floods 2013/14 national scale, european floods (international scale)
i also have some for landslides: vajont dam 1963, isu oshima japan 2013, and several smaller examples of landslides due to wet weather in UK
ahh thats not too bad I think im just going to learn 3 for each because I have a ridiculous amount for the other topics as well especially population and resources for some reason haha
Reply 13
ahh thats not too bad I think im just going to learn 3 for each because I have a ridiculous amount for the other topics as well especially population and resources for some reason haha

yeah i have a lot for population and resources too. i don't think you need to know them in loads of detail, as long as you can use them, i think thats what matters. i will make sure i know some facts/figures but i won't concentrate on doing that.
what other topics are you doing?
yeah there's no way im going to remember all the figures tbh.. for geography we're doing earth hazards population and resources and globalisation.. can't get my head around globalisation its well to confusing too much economics D:
Reply 15
yeah there's no way im going to remember all the figures tbh.. for geography we're doing earth hazards population and resources and globalisation.. can't get my head around globalisation its well to confusing too much economics D:

oh you're not doing 4 topics? we are to give us more of a choice of questions in the exam. i have never studied globalisation, so i can't speak for it really, but my favourite topic is earth hazards. what type of fieldwork investigation have you done for geographical skills, and how are you revising it?
yeah we're only doing 3 I don't know why haha and my investigation is on rivers investigating the change in width depth and discharge downstream
Reply 17
yeah we're only doing 3 I don't know why haha and my investigation is on rivers investigating the change in width depth and discharge downstream

oh that was what i did my gcse fieldwork on haha. mine is on how the characteristics of biotic and aboitc environments of a sand dune change with distance from the beach.
eww haha poor you
Reply 19
eww haha poor you

it wasn't too bad, i have quite a fun geography class so despite the rain we had a good day. our data was rubbish though, we investigated 4 different sub hypotheses and in my conclusions only one has a strong correlational link, the others do have correlations that support the hypothesis but they are very weak and vague

Quick Reply

Latest