Are knighthoods good or bad?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you ask?
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Why do you ask?

I want to know if people think it's a good force to the world.
Yes, it's nice that people receive recognition for good deeds.
Reply 4
Original post by clh_hilary
I want to know if people think it's a good force to the world.

A 'good force'?

I'm not sure you understand what they are.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
A 'good force'?

I'm not sure you understand what they are.

They are honours. Do they honour the right people? Does the existence of the system benefit the society more than the money it costs related to the monarchy and everything?
Reply 6
They are honours. Do they honour the right people? Does the existence of the system benefit the society more than the money it costs related to the monarchy and everything?

What do you think on the matter? You posed the question, why not tell us where you stand?
BS
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
What do you think on the matter? You posed the question, why not tell us where you stand?

Mixed. I don't know.
Reply 9
They are always given to the wrong people, so I'd say they are meaningless. Not necessarily 'good', or 'bad'.
I'd say the concept of marking a particular person out as having done something particularly noteworthy is fine, in fact it could serve as an inspiration to others to do the same.

However when you give out knighthoods like not particularly noteworthy candy you kind of devalue the whole process (same goes for OBE's and MBE's).
A lot of people who've received knighthoods have been people who deserve recognition, so I think they're cool. I can see why people would think they're stupid though.
Reply 12
Original post by Mackay
They are always given to the wrong people, so I'd say they are meaningless. Not necessarily 'good', or 'bad'.

You need money to maintain the system.
Reply 13
Original post by stroppyninja
Yes, it's nice that people receive recognition for good deeds.

But there already are honorary degrees.
Reply 14
Original post by mojojojo101
I'd say the concept of marking a particular person out as having done something particularly noteworthy is fine, in fact it could serve as an inspiration to others to do the same.

However when you give out knighthoods like not particularly noteworthy candy you kind of devalue the whole process (same goes for OBE's and MBE's).

And some are inheritable right?
Danny Boyle had the right idea. He outright refused one.
Sir Elton John.
Reply 17
And some are inheritable right?

No.

Hereditary titles are separate to honours. If my Dad,for example, was awarded a Knighthood, I wouldn't become a knight on his death, it would just 'disappear'.

But there already are honorary degrees.

But that's completely different. That's like saying why give someone a present for Christmas when they've already got their birthday.

Honourary degrees are given by universities to whomever they want, there's basically no public input and noone really cares one iota about them.

The public honours system (CBEs, OBEs, MBEs, KBEs, DBEs, etc) can be awarded to anyone and the recipients can be put forward by anyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
No.

Hereditary titles are separate to honours. If my Dad,for example, was awarded a Knighthood, I wouldn't become a knight on his death, it would just 'disappear'.

But that's completely different. That's like saying why give someone a present for Christmas when they've already got their birthday.

Honourary degrees are given by universities to whomever they want, there's basically no public input and noone really cares one iota about them.

The public honours system (CBEs, OBEs, MBEs, KBEs, DBEs, etc) can be awarded to anyone and the recipients can be put forward by anyone.

What do you mean 'put forward by anyone'?
Reply 19
What do you mean 'put forward by anyone'?

Any British citizen can write to 10 Downing Street and nominate someone for an honour. They can't say what honour they think they should get (or at least, if they do, that would be ignored) but they can nominate anyone at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending