MSc Medical Microbiology Notts or LSHTM? Watch

Natalia1412
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys!

I have offers from the University of Nottingham (MSc Molecular Medical Microbiology) and the LSHTM (MSc Medical Microbiology), and I don't know which one chose! Both of the courses are great and I wasn't expecting to get into any of them!

I'm from Spain and although I know Notts reputation is very good, since I can't find LSHTM in any ranking I don't really know where it stands internationally...

I'm interested in doing my PhD after my masters, where do you think it will be easier to get a doctoral position?

If any of you is doing or have done any of these courses, would you tell me how they are, job prospects and everything, please? I'm so very lost!

Also, I'm taking the final year of my degree at the University of Calgary, in Canada, and my supervisor have offered me a place in his masters program.. Calgary research and reputation isn't as good as Notts (don't know about LSHTM), but the canadian masters are more research focused, I love my lab and I would get paid, I don't know what to do!

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but please, any advice will be very welcome!

Thanks

Natalia.
Eubacterium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think either is good for a PhD, I knew someone who got a MSc at LSHTM (don't know what in) and she was doing a PhD in medical microbiology. Sorry can't give more advice, because although I have an MSc in medical and molecular microbiology, I got it at Manchester.

Edit: I forgot I knew someone who did the MSc at Nottingham but didn't go on to do a PhD, out of choice. She works in industry.

By the way, although my MSc was mostly taught, the research project at the end was really indepth, and helped me secure work after, although it was squeezed into two months! I found it essential for getting work in microbiology afterwards as there's an amazing amount not taught in a BSc, particuarly the practical skills, but again, this is based on the course at Manchester, I couldn't say how similar the degrees at the other unis are.
Natalia1412
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for your reply!

I think I'll do my masters in the UK, I've talked to my supervisor here in Canada and he said he would save me the place in his lab for my PhD... I'm really interested in his research so it would be great.

I'll probably accept the offer from LSHTM, so I should start looking for scholarships... London is so expensive!

So you found a job in microbiology right after your masters? Congratulations! That would be imposible in my country. But then again, the job market in Spain isn't the best in the world, and there's little to none opportunities for young scientists.
Eubacterium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oops sorry got LSHTM mixed up with LSTM (Liverpool school of tropical medicine). The person I knew studied there. It's not easy getting a job in science in the UK at the moment. A master degree graduate would eventually find one but it could take some time. I worked in industry first, then research in medical microbiology. For some reason couldn't get work in that field anymore and ended up in agronomy, focusing on microbiology, which I never studied on my MSc and only touched on a little in my BSc. I never actually studied anything I work on, but it shows such a degree is transferable to related disciplines.
Noor-flower
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eubacterium)
Oops sorry got LSHTM mixed up with LSTM (Liverpool school of tropical medicine). The person I knew studied there. It's not easy getting a job in science in the UK at the moment. A master degree graduate would eventually find one but it could take some time. I worked in industry first, then research in medical microbiology. For some reason couldn't get work in that field anymore and ended up in agronomy, focusing on microbiology, which I never studied on my MSc and only touched on a little in my BSc. I never actually studied anything I work on, but it shows such a degree is transferable to related disciplines.
what was it like studying microbiology at MSC level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish