Liam396
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,
I am currently half way into an advanced apprenticeship in engineering, so far I have completed a level 3 diploma in operations and maintenance at D*D* level and an NVQ level 2 in fitting and maintenance. I am currently on track to complete an NVQ level 3 in electrical plant and systems instillation. Upon completion of the apprenticeship I wish to progress onto higher education in hope of advancing in my chosen career path. (A form of engineering, unsure which as of yet, but I am drifting towards the energy/chemical side)

I have tried to weigh up my options but cannot decide which is most suitable. I have the option to study a HNC in my final 2 years of the apprenticeship, and obviously this can progress onto a HND. In the end I would like to think I could achieve a bEng or mEng in my chosen field. I also have the opportunity to go into a foundation degree then add an extra year on for a bEng and another year for a mEng. Thus skipping the HNC or HND, but I am led to believe that the HND is virtually equivalent to a foundation degree.

I was also considering waiting until completion of my apprenticeship and applying straight for a mEng or bEng, hopefully having enough ucas points from my qualifications above?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lots of advice here about applying for Engineering - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/engineering_degree
samsama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to study at a reputable university for an engineering degree, then you need to supplement your BTEC qualification with A Level mathematics. Most universities only consider your academic qualifications, so vocational ones generally do not bear much weight in that regards.

It is worth noting that if you do a HNC/HND or foundation degree first, some universities will allow you to apply for second-year entry into their BEng/MEng programme.

Source: I'm in a similar situation to you.
Liam396
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So if I complete a HNC/HND I will not have to study A Level maths separate?

Also since my last post, I have noticed Newcastle University offer a foundation Year which offers individuals who do not have all necessary qualifications to complete a year of foundation to get the needed skills then progress on to the bEng or mEng after one year.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ourseoverview/
samsama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's correct, however if you do engineering at degree level, there is a lot of high level maths involved. So unless your maths is fairly strong, I would still recommend doing A Level maths regardless.

For example, I am currently doing HNC Mechanical Engineering, and I would say (without exaggeration) at least half the class is failing the maths module. However, it it worth noting that many of these are people who have been working in industry a while, and have not touched any maths for years!

In regards to the foundation year, you essentially add an extra year to your degree. So unless you are being sponsored by your company, the cost of tuition fees for the extra year may put you off. unless you're rich.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads