Pretty sure I can solve the Generation Y Participation and Representation Crisis Watch

Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hear me out here, I just had a brainwave.

Young people are angered because they don't feel like any party represents them and why does no party represent them? Because we as Generation Y are an absolutely terrible voter block, we have awful representation in turnout compared to the people we tend to get cross with politicians for pandering to, everyone's favourite Baby Boomers! So in order to get represented we the youth, need to vote. Then it's making your vote in next year's election where nobody gives a monkeys about our Generation Y vote as impacting to the mainstream parties as possible, and here's where we get a little bit left field.

What's the best way to **** up any Conservative or Labour MP? Vote UKIP! Now I ****ing hate UKIP as much as anyone with more than half a brain but the mainstream are a little bit scared of the UKIP impact and thus are trying to claw UKIP voters in with policy which they might like. Become a UKIP voter, get representation up to Baby Boomer level and we'll have politicians clamouring for the Generation Y vote and they won't be able to renege so easily on promises a la the Liberal Democrats because they know that our vote can tip an election in their favour. Then the Huffington Post won't call us Yuppies, the Guardian won't think we're all idealistic, entitled, environmentalists and the Telegraph won't just pretend we don't exist. Then in the 2020 election Generation Y can pull some strings rather than the case at the minute, picking the less old person pandering party.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wattsy)

Young people are angered because they don't feel like any party represents them and why does no party represent them? Because we as Generation Y are an absolutely terrible voter block, we have awful representation in turnout compared to the people we tend to get cross with politicians for pandering to, everyone's favourite Baby Boomers! So in order to get represented we the youth, need to vote. Then it's making your vote in next year's election where nobody gives a monkeys about our Generation Y vote as impacting to the mainstream parties as possible, and here's where we get a little bit left field.

What's the best way to **** up any Conservative or Labour MP? Vote UKIP! Now I ****ing hate UKIP as much as anyone with more than half a brain but the mainstream are a little bit scared of the UKIP impact and thus are trying to claw UKIP voters in with policy which they might like. Become a UKIP voter, get representation up to Baby Boomer level and we'll have politicians clamouring for the Generation Y vote and they won't be able to renege so easily on promises a la the Liberal Democrats because they know that our vote can tip an election in their favour. Then the Huffington Post won't call us Yuppies, the Guardian won't think we're all idealistic, entitled, environmentalists and the Telegraph won't just pretend we don't exist. Then in the 2020 election Generation Y can pull some strings rather than the case at the minute, picking the less old person pandering party.
A minor flaw there being that if generation Y all vote Ukip, that sends the message that generation Y wants you to pander to Ukip policy.

If you want to change the Labour and Tory parties then i rather suggest that you need to change it from the inside. The Tories especially have a problem with their local associations (who pick MP's ect..) being full of old people and that would not change if you voted for another party. Get in the parties and on the bodies that select MP's and Councillors.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
A minor flaw there being that if generation Y all vote Ukip, that sends the message that generation Y wants you to pander to Ukip policy.

If you want to change the Labour and Tory parties then i rather suggest that you need to change it from the inside. The Tories especially have a problem with their local associations (who pick MP's ect..) being full of old people and that would not change if you voted for another party. Get in the parties and on the bodies that select MP's and Councillors.
Ahh yeah, that is a bit of a problem. I just thought that youth rather than UKIP interests would be on the agenda but you're right, UKIP is a weird party and we don't need ConLab moving towards them at all.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh yeah, that is a bit of a problem. I just thought that youth rather than UKIP interests would be on the agenda but you're right, UKIP is a weird party and we don't need ConLab moving towards them at all.
Sadly, politicians seek the easy answer/path so would decide we're all immigrant bashing nationalists rather than think about the interests of the youth.

I maintain that it's most effective to change the beast from within, especially parties like the Tories or Libs who are voted for by members rather than complicated block votes like Labour.
Oschene23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most important counter argument is often overlooked. The elderly population is growing exponentially, whilst the youth bracket is shrinking.

Young people are becoming less and less important and that trend will continue over the long term.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your title is a lie.

You aren't trying to 'solve' Generation Y engagement, you aren't trying to get a representative government, you ARE trying to vote UKIP when they don't want to.

Young people need to be more actively dissatisfied, that is why I will be encouraging all my friends to deface their ballot papers on election day...
Wattsy
Rep:
?
I thought this was too simple, I forgot about that too, oh well, I'm moving to somewhere which has a youth population then because I'm bored of this nobody doing anything useful or sensible for the future of their country. We do not own the planet, we borrow it from our children, well these guardians of ours are metaphorical child molesters.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Your title is a lie.

You aren't trying to 'solve' Generation Y engagement, you aren't trying to get a representative government, you ARE trying to vote UKIP when they don't want to.

Young people need to be more actively dissatisfied, that is why I will be encouraging all my friends to deface their ballot papers on election day...
I'm really not, UKIP are awful but they do put the frighteners on ConLab, spoiling ballots would work too, probably better thinking about it, then you have dissenting participants without a party agenda, you just show you want representation which you aren't getting.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm really not, UKIP are awful but they do put the frighteners on ConLab, spoiling ballots would work too, probably better thinking about it, then you have dissenting participants without a party agenda, you just show you want representation which you aren't getting.
Well, I apologise for misreading you.

If, as I do, you want to send a message to the whole political establishment, regardless of party then you should make a protest against that structure, not positively engage in it by voting for something you don't actually believe in.
andrew2209
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Your title is a lie.

Alternatively, find £500, run for MP under the "Young People against Government" party, and get all your friends to vote for you. Start a campaign on the internet, and if it takes off, it's a win-win scenario.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by andrew2209)
Alternatively, find £500, run for MP under the "Young People against Government" party, and get all your friends to vote for you. Start a campaign on the internet, and if it takes off, it's a win-win scenario.
Haha, that would be fun, I live in a marginal too though it may well go conservative in 2015 because the Lib Dems were the rival. Don't even have £500 left in my overdraft though never mind to throw at something so low probability.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say the current uni aged group of people fall outside of generation Y.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coffinman)
We're certainly bottom end, I've got it ending in birth year 1994 but I don't think Generation Z starts until tech native becomes tech weaned. The kids who were on broadband since age 4 and their 1st phone was a smartphone are a completely different animal as far as I'm concerned. I grew up with only being allowed on the internet once a week because the phone stopped working and it cost by the minute. It was possible to be bored because the wasn't very much instant about the world and I went outside to remedy the boredom as a kid, I didn't reach for an iPad.
andrew2209
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Coffinman)
As somebody who was born in 1996, the whole generation thing messes with my head.
OrlaCarmel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

This plan could so easily back fire when will all follow it and they actually get elected and Nigel Farage is the prime minister.
Comus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I maintain that it's most effective to change the beast from within, especially parties like the Tories or Libs who are voted for by members rather than complicated block votes like Labour.
Just as an aside, Labour have gotten rid of the block votes and now run a policy of OMOV (albeit through an electoral college)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads