The Student Room Group

need advice on switching courses and university

I am currently in my first year at university college london (UCL) studying biochemical engineering. However I have realised that this is not the right course for me.
I want to apply for optometry. It is something i considered doing at first but didn't and it was a mistake. Since UCL don't do that course I will have to switch university.

I joined UCL doing Architecture. But after 5 weeks I switched to biochemical engineering. It was the only free course left for me.

I really don't like the course and therefore i struggle. Mostly because I didn't do A2 physics and chemistry which is important for the course.

In my Alevels i got A in biology A in maths and B in art
as well as AS level C in chemistry and C in physics.

Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hsinam12
I am currently in my first year at university college london (UCL) studying biochemical engineering. However I have realised that this is not the right course for me.
I want to apply for optometry. It is something i considered doing at first but didn't and it was a mistake. Since UCL don't do that course I will have to switch university.

I joined UCL doing Architecture. But after 5 weeks I switched to biochemical engineering. It was the only free course left for me.

I really don't like the course and therefore i struggle. Mostly because I didn't do A2 physics and chemistry which is important for the course.

In my Alevels i got A in biology A in maths and B in art
as well as AS level C in chemistry and C in physics.

Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

Are you struggling because it is difficult or because you are bored?
Since you already changed your course once. Think about it thrice, dont just switch course/university...you might not like it !

First of all, whatever you do. you need to like it, secondly you need to find a job after you finish / or find a way to make some cash. it is important ( trust me on that).
if you will struggle to make the do$h for whatever course you do, don't do it. self-employment can be a bit difficult for the first 5 years if.

also even if you complete what you are studying now, do your best. Get a first, even if you decide to study something else years later.

life is an adventure not a destiny.

Quick Reply

Latest