The Student Room Group

Best route into medicine with unique educational history! HELP!

Hi!
I have a question regarding the best entry route into medicine.

Warning: This is going to be long!

I am a sixth form student, currently taking my AS Levels in the UK.
Before coming to the UK last summer I went to school in both Austria and America and have therefore not achieved any GCSE qualifications.
I am taking 5 GCSEs (Maths, English, Biology, French, German) this year alongside my AS Levels and hoping to achieve at least a C in Maths (it's probably my weakest subject, the other should all be A*s - As).
I am taking Art, Biology, French and German at AS Level and am predicted BBAA (or possibly BAAA, in the order I listed them above).
I will be dropping Art next year for A2.
I am expecting to get A*AB (possibly A*AA) for A2.
I could not take a Chemistry at A Level since I didn't have it in my school in Austria the year before and would lack the knowledge to do the course in sixth form.
Don't know if this is relevant, but I took SATs during my year in America (when I was 16).
Now, my question is, if it is better to apply for the foundation year medicine course or do a bachelor in nursing and then go into graduate entry medicine.
I have called up some universities and the problem with the foundation year medicine course is, that they usually require at least 4-6 As at GCSE and since I am only just taking GCSEs this year - and only 5 in total - this will obviously not be possible.
I am not that interested in biological degrees as I think nursing would give me more secure job prospects if I don't end up getting into medicine. However, I know that I have the potential to become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor since I was a child and am 100% committed to doing anything it will take to be able to get into medicine. I have loads of work experience arranged, so that won't be a problem.

What is the best route for medicine considering my unique educational history? Should I try to apply for the medicine foundation course even if I don't meet the GCSE requirements?
Or should I get a nursing degree first (which will offer me a job in the hospital setting) and apply for the graduate entry medicine course?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

-Veronika
Reply 1
oh gosh that is complicated isn't it!!

I'm not sure I can offer you any advice that is much better than this... If I was you I would email a few universities and ask them what they would want you to do for their specific course (as I imagine it will be slightly different everywhere) and then you can make a more informed choice.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply