Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've started writing up my notes for the Morpeth flooding. So far I've covered the basics: causes, impact, management and improvements for management for the 2008 flood. What else do we have to know? What else could they ask you?

Near to the end of the book, it starts to talk about the 2012 floods. Do we have to know both?

This thread is for general discussion also.

The Panorama link mentioned in the book can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ390aW-fHg

Note: Too many people are sending me messages - I have better things to do than spend my hours adding people in, telling them how to use it etc etc... I'd encourage that people share notes through TSR - the google docs thing was mainly just full of articles, a few powerpoints etc, nothing that special.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got my booklet on Monday, haven't been through it properly but looks pretty boring if I'm totally honest. I was going to start a thread to discuss possible questions but looks like you've beat me to it. Really thought I'd be done with the rivers topic, absolutely hated it but it's come back to haunt me. I should have more info when we start discussing it in class, we're just about finishing up on plate tectonics but you seem to have covered the main bits. Not looking forward to a possible storm hydrograph looking at those last few pages though!

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher hasn't given us out ours yet. They say they're going to give us it after Easter because they don't want us distracted from GEOG3 revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummark)
    Yeah I got my booklet on Monday, haven't been through it properly but looks pretty boring if I'm totally honest. I was going to start a thread to discuss possible questions but looks like you've beat me to it. Really thought I'd be done with the rivers topic, absolutely hated it but it's come back to haunt me. I should have more info when we start discussing it in class, we're just about finishing up on plate tectonics but you seem to have covered the main bits. Not looking forward to a possible storm hydrograph looking at those last few pages though!
    Hmm, well Ive finished writing my notes pretty much then, in like two days, if thats the case. We're finishing off globalisation then we're going onto it.

I'm resitting Geog2 so it will come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    HI,

Try making a glossary of all the technical terms used in the AIB eg cumecs, what discharge is as a calculation etc etc, can you remember the different components of a hydrograph eg baseflow, time lag etc? transfer notes from AS on river eg causes of flooding, flood management, river basin terminology etc.

I'll post more as my class works on this also after Easter.

ReputationRep:
    We got given ours on Monday too. Our teacher just said that we have to know the 2008 floods inside out, but it may also be good to have a bit of information on the 2012 floods, just to link with the future management of the river to reduce the risk and impact of flooding in Morpeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.bury)
    HI,

Try making a glossary of all the technical terms used in the AIB eg cumecs, what discharge is as a calculation etc etc, can you remember the different components of a hydrograph eg baseflow, time lag etc? transfer notes from AS on river eg causes of flooding, flood management, river basin terminology etc.

I'll post more as my class works on this also after Easter.
    Thanks, that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I have got mine, just had a brief look through it.

After easter, we have four weeks before exam leave, so we will be doing prep and work then on 4b

ReputationRep:
    I did the Nepal paper for Geog 4B and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to start now and put in a great deal of work!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidCrow)
    I did the Nepal paper for Geog 4B and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to start now and put in a great deal of work!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!
    How many pages were your notes for Geog4b?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got any notes written up yet they want to share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieWatts96)
    has anyone got any notes written up yet they want to share?
    Im willing to share mine that I've written so far, if someone shares some useful ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    Im willing to share mine that I've written so far, if someone shares some useful ones.
    I am happy to share mine once I have finished writing them! Which shouldn't be too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwkwardLemur)
    In on this thread,

We receive our booklets tomorrow, I'd be happy to share all the notes I make as well as sharing possible questions etc!
    Hurray! We will have to create a Google Document or something so that only those who share get the goods - incentives!

ReputationRep:
    How many pages were your notes for Geog4b?
    It's 40% of the A2, so treat it as if its 2/3rds of the length of Geog3 (60%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidCrow)
    It's 40% of the A2, so treat it as if its 2/3rds of the length of Geog3 (60%)
    Lol I have at least 100 pages of notes for Geog3 - I dontthink there even is 66 pagesworth of content on morpeth

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have at least 100 pages of notes for Geog3 - I dontthink there even is 66 pagesworth of content on morpeth
    Would you mind sharing the geog 3 and 4bnotes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonetrix)
    Would you mind sharing the geog 3 and 4bnotes?
    What units are you doing in Geog3?

ReputationRep:
    What units are you doing in Geog3?
    Tectonics, Weather, Conflict and World Cities

ReputationRep:
    Hurray! We will have to create a Google Document or something so that only those who share get the goods - incentives!
    I don't mind sharing my notes, I have a few written up already. I think the google document is a great idea

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2014

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.