Is it weird studying medicine in your mid 20's together with lots of 18 year olds?

Watch
cactus_farmer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do any graduates feel isolated by their age if they're a fair bit older than all the school-leavers on their course?

After trying to get into med school for a good few years, I finally got into the grad-entry (A101) program at Liverpool. However, because it took me so long to get in, I'm now in my mid 20's, and I've noticed that there are only around 30 other grads on the course, otherwise you mix in with the hundreds of school leavers on the A100 course.

Do any mature students feel isolated by their age because of that?

If you're a grad on a 5 year course, roughly what percentage of your peers are grads compared to school leavers? Or if you're a grad on a tiny A101 course (40 people or less) - how do you feel about it? Do different years all hang out socially?
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll be fine, not everyone on the A100 are 18 year olds, some are 19-21 and there will also be mature students too.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do find it a little hard to mix with 18-19 year olds now - a lot will be into getting very drunk and sleeping around and making childish insults ("bantuurrrrr"), this kind of thing. Maybe that's still your thing, i dunno, but if not there will also be maturer school leavers and other people your age, and in my experience once people are away from their clique you get get along with almost anyone anyway. I probably can't stop you worrying, but i'll say it anyway: you will almost certainly look back on your anxiety and realise it was unwarranted.
cactus_farmer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I do find it a little hard to mix with 18-19 year olds now - a lot will be into getting very drunk and sleeping around and making childish insults ("bantuurrrrr"), this kind of thing. Maybe that's still your thing, i dunno, but if not there will also be maturer school leavers and other people your age, and in my experience once people are away from their clique you get get along with almost anyone anyway. I probably can't stop you worrying, but i'll say it anyway: you will almost certainly look back on your anxiety and realise it was unwarranted.
Are you on the A101 at Liverpool then?

Do grads from other years (above and below your own) tend to hang out, or keep mostly to themselves?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cactus_farmer)
Are you on the A101 at Liverpool then?
No - just a general observation from my experience and the experience of others.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some people on the undergraduate course will have taken a few gap years to get into university: remember that relatively few people get in first time. Besides, you are likely to be among the youngest on the graduate course: I really wouldn't worry.
davekhan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what was your first degree buddy?
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope, ever watch House season 4 with "ridiculously old guy"? :]
KA125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's fine, don't even notice it!
veriluxe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm actually worried about this too as I'm going in with a MSc... I'll be starting the 5 year program at KCL in Sept and apparently, 20% are grads, but I think that's already counting the GEP program. My friend tells me that at Barts, the undergrads think the grads are mean and competitive. : (
Rx_Sarcasm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 25 and studying on a 5 year course in Scotland (It ended up being cheaper than applying for grad courses down south). It can be a bit weird sometimes just in terms of having a different outlook to the younger students; I forget that everything was fresh and new at that age, or maybe I'm just more cynical than they are?

A few of the younger ones do initially shut you out almost, as if you're too old for them to try to connect with. Most of them are absolutely fine though, and so long as you make an effort to engage with them, and have a laugh, then you'll get on with them. Plus as mentioned, there are usually a fair number of graduates on the course, so you'll be in good company! Certainly I'm by no means the youngest in my year (think we have a few in their late 20s, early 30s).

There is a perception that grads are ultra-competitive and anti-social; but that's for you to prove wrong! Just be open and friendly, and don't be over-bearing with your amazing graduate knowledge and you'll be fine!

The biggest problem though, is that I don't think my liver can keep up with going through the uni lifestyle again, and I do find myself skipping a fair few social events at times.
khaa9666
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
try being in your 30s when you start med school.....................
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by veriluxe)
I'm actually worried about this too as I'm going in with a MSc... I'll be starting the 5 year program at KCL in Sept and apparently, 20% are grads, but I think that's already counting the GEP program. My friend tells me that at Barts, the undergrads think the grads are mean and competitive. : (
You won't have to mingle purely with people on your med course, there'll be plenty grads about! And perhaps they think they're mean and competitive because they are! If you're not that type of person it won't be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lantana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cactus_farmer)
Do any graduates feel isolated by their age if they're a fair bit older than all the school-leavers on their course?

After trying to get into med school for a good few years, I finally got into the grad-entry (A101) program at Liverpool. However, because it took me so long to get in, I'm now in my mid 20's, and I've noticed that there are only around 30 other grads on the course, otherwise you mix in with the hundreds of school leavers on the A100 course.

Do any mature students feel isolated by their age because of that?

If you're a grad on a 5 year course, roughly what percentage of your peers are grads compared to school leavers? Or if you're a grad on a tiny A101 course (40 people or less) - how do you feel about it? Do different years all hang out socially?
Sometimes yes -I get irritated with some people's behaviour, sometimes I forget all about it. I've been in both worlds. Our GEM course starts out with you isolated away from the 5th years for a year and it becomes very bubble like and then you mix in with the rest in the next year which is a bit odd to start with but you get used to it. There are quite a few grads around anyhow and people who've not come straight from school. However old they are, people tend to mix within their year quite well but not so much between years.
Insanity514
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One thing I would like to add, there are people in their 40's in med school and they mix quite well, not even joking.
polldoll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 35, one of I think less than 10 over 20 in my year (160). Oh and I'm the oldest in my year too! I've had a mixed few years so far. If you make the effort with the younger ones then it can be all fine, but I have different priorities in life now so there really isn't much in common. I'd say the mature students tend to group together, plus I get on better with some staff. It makes group work interesting as you bring a different perspective to the meetings. But im also blown away by how competitive and intelligent the school leavers are!
So just make an effort but ultimately you are there to get a degree, best friends are a bonus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.12%
I'm not sure (3)
2.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (46)
33.33%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.2%

Watched Threads