The Student Room Group

Living with your gf/bf at Uni however been together for long time.

I've been reading a few posts just about the experiences of people living with their boyfriend/girlfriend at university, and to say the least most people seem to be set against the idea.

However, if you are in a long term relationship (4 years for me) and moving into the same flat with a few friends as well, how would that be an issue? We are both are quite introverted and understand we need our own time to relax and recharge, so are not too needy with seeing each other 24/7. We are super relaxed on that side of things.

We are going to have our own separate rooms for space because it can be our little hideouts if we want to study/be on our own/have friends over, and then at weekends or whatever we can stay one room etc :smile: We are pretty much each others best friend as well as being a couple, though we both know that we will go out and do different things without each other. We also have a bunch of mutual friends that went over to the university before us. The friends living with us have also known us for 4 years, so they know our dynamic, but I think it will still take a bit of time for everyone to adjust to each other.

I'm really just curious about other couples that might have had a similar set up, being together for a long time and then living with friends in a flat/private halls with separate rooms. I don't see how it's an extremely negative issue, I can see it being if you have been with someone for, a few months, to 2 years, with the large chance of break up and so on, but with someone you are invested in surely it's something that can make your university experience more enjoyable?
Reply 1
Despite what you may think, simply having your own room in a house is not enough space if you have a serious falling out.

It can work really well, or it can be an utter disaster. It depends massively on what you're like as individuals and what your schedules and lifestyle are like.

I'd say approach it very carefully, and always leave each other a way out if things go wrong. Don't tie yourself into a year long tenancy because if you have a massive breakup that's 11 months of living together.

2 of my house mates recently started dating (just over 2 weeks ago) so I'm observing a somewhat similar situation. It's going well so far, but as with all things we shall have to wait and see.
Original post by Nneverwhere
I've been reading a few posts just about the experiences of people living with their boyfriend/girlfriend at university, and to say the least most people seem to be set against the idea.

However, if you are in a long term relationship (4 years for me) and moving into the same flat with a few friends as well, how would that be an issue? We are both are quite introverted and understand we need our own time to relax and recharge, so are not too needy with seeing each other 24/7. We are super relaxed on that side of things.

We are going to have our own separate rooms for space because it can be our little hideouts if we want to study/be on our own/have friends over, and then at weekends or whatever we can stay one room etc :smile: We are pretty much each others best friend as well as being a couple, though we both know that we will go out and do different things without each other. We also have a bunch of mutual friends that went over to the university before us. The friends living with us have also known us for 4 years, so they know our dynamic, but I think it will still take a bit of time for everyone to adjust to each other.

I'm really just curious about other couples that might have had a similar set up, being together for a long time and then living with friends in a flat/private halls with separate rooms. I don't see how it's an extremely negative issue, I can see it being if you have been with someone for, a few months, to 2 years, with the large chance of break up and so on, but with someone you are invested in surely it's something that can make your university experience more enjoyable?

I spent this academic year living with my boyfriend of almost 3 years in halls. It gave us a chance to see what it would be like to live together, etc. I feel space in a relationship is important and so we did get two rooms, one for sleeping in and one for storage/another place to study. It worked out really well, and we split everything between us, like the cost of food.
He had been at uni for a year before I joined him and we decided to live with the friends he had made, who I quickly became friends with myself.
As for people thinking it's a negative issue, if we didn't live together, I would have barely seen him, which could have had more of a negative impact than living with him.

Hope this helps :smile:
My boyfriend and I had been together almost 5 years when we started uni. We lived in the same halls in different flats, he was 10 floors above me. It was great for us, we had our own space but also could see each other whenever we wanted. Personally I found it to be a really great experience, as someone who wasn't really sure about moving away from home it made me much more comfortable being there. We both had our own friends but also had each other whenever we wanted to see each other. Obviously if you do fall out it can be awkward for you and for the other people living with you, my boyfriend and I don't ever really fall out so that wasn't a problem for us, but if you guys have explosive rows that might be something to think about :smile:

Just make sure that you have really talked through all of your options and all of the pros and cons of moving in together and be completely sure you both want to do it and you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending