Biochemistry vs Pharmacology (patent law)

Watch
golley1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have recently received offers to study biochemistry (at kings college) and pharmacology (at bristol).
-I was wondering which of these courses would be better to pursue a career in patent law, to eventually become a patent attorney.
-Is it possible to become one with a pharmacology degree?
-Also if anyone knows any pros and cons of these universities or courses feel free to add.
Thank a lot
vineyard13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi!

Congrats on your offers I'm a Pharmacology student (at Leeds, not Bristol) and I'm currently doing a year in industry at AstraZeneca (Pharmaceuticals).

We had a talk from one of the patent lawyers at AZ and they said that you just need a science/egineering/maths degree to go into patent law so I guess both would be suitable. So it also means you can become one with a Pharmacology degree.

My friend does Biochemistry and from what I gather, there's a lot more molecular biology/biotechnology involved with biochemistry, whereas, on my course at Leeds anyway, I learn more about the human anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, but mainly learning about diseases and the mechanisms of how drugs work.

With Biochemistry as well you can choose whether you want to go down the human/animal or plant based side of things. Pharmacology is all human biology. See if you can look on the uni websites to see what modules you'll be doing.

Pharmacology sets you up well for a career in the Pharmaceutical industry (although you can with a Biochemistry degree as well) who hire patent lawyers. They are typically paid less that private lawyers but have more regular working hours (private patent lawyers have to work REALLY hard and have longer hours but there is quite a large difference in salary).

On a side note, think about the locations of the uni and if you'd be happy there - think about journey costs/duration to visit family/friends, what there is to do etc.

I don't really know much about those unis but let me know if you want any info on Pharmacology
golley1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by vineyard13)
Hi!

Congrats on your offers I'm a Pharmacology student (at Leeds, not Bristol) and I'm currently doing a year in industry at AstraZeneca (Pharmaceuticals).

We had a talk from one of the patent lawyers at AZ and they said that you just need a science/egineering/maths degree to go into patent law so I guess both would be suitable. So it also means you can become one with a Pharmacology degree.

My friend does Biochemistry and from what I gather, there's a lot more molecular biology/biotechnology involved with biochemistry, whereas, on my course at Leeds anyway, I learn more about the human anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, but mainly learning about diseases and the mechanisms of how drugs work.

With Biochemistry as well you can choose whether you want to go down the human/animal or plant based side of things. Pharmacology is all human biology. See if you can look on the uni websites to see what modules you'll be doing.

Pharmacology sets you up well for a career in the Pharmaceutical industry (although you can with a Biochemistry degree as well) who hire patent lawyers. They are typically paid less that private lawyers but have more regular working hours (private patent lawyers have to work REALLY hard and have longer hours but there is quite a large difference in salary).

On a side note, think about the locations of the uni and if you'd be happy there - think about journey costs/duration to visit family/friends, what there is to do etc.

I don't really know much about those unis but let me know if you want any info on Pharmacology
Thanks a lot for the info that was extremely helpful! bristol decided to change my course from pharma to biochemistry so i guess its no longer an issue. thanks though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (54)
11.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.68%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (99)
21.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.76%

Watched Threads