The Student Room Group

Advice - Should I delay going to uni?

I've applied for university for September, but I'm having doubts the choices I've made are the right ones for me.

Bit of background: I'm 21, already completed my A-Levels with straight C's in English, Media and Psychology and I'm applying for Media/Journalism related courses. I've been in work for nearly 3 years now.

I have 4/5 unconditional offers but I've been going to open days since and I haven't been completely convinced by any of them. I decided the time was right to get into higher education at the end of 2013 but I didn't have chance (with work and problems getting a reference) to attend any open days before I applied and I'm worried I've rushed it too much.

I'm concerned that if I do delay the application, by the time it comes to going to uni, I will have been out of education for just over 4 years and it will take longer to adjust to university life. I'm also worried that, if I delay it for a year, I might not get any offers for next year. It'll also be another year before I can start forging a career for myself.

University is a big decision and I don't want to go to uni feeling like the choice has been rushed, but with 4 offers already in the bag is it worth the risk?

Any advice anyone has will be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by deanG92
I've applied for university for September, but I'm having doubts the choices I've made are the right ones for me.

Bit of background: I'm 21, already completed my A-Levels with straight C's in English, Media and Psychology and I'm applying for Media/Journalism related courses. I've been in work for nearly 3 years now.

I have 4/5 unconditional offers but I've been going to open days since and I haven't been completely convinced by any of them. I decided the time was right to get into higher education at the end of 2013 but I didn't have chance (with work and problems getting a reference) to attend any open days before I applied and I'm worried I've rushed it too much.

I'm concerned that if I do delay the application, by the time it comes to going to uni, I will have been out of education for just over 4 years and it will take longer to adjust to university life. I'm also worried that, if I delay it for a year, I might not get any offers for next year. It'll also be another year before I can start forging a career for myself.

University is a big decision and I don't want to go to uni feeling like the choice has been rushed, but with 4 offers already in the bag is it worth the risk?

Any advice anyone has will be much appreciated :smile:

Honestly, media/journalism probably wont increase your career prospects that much, I'd honestly not bother, save yourself £27k+ debt and 3 years of lost earnings.
Plus the university life is over-rated, the first year is fun but it soon gets old.
If you're passionate about the subject, just learn it in your own time and if you really want the university experience rent out a cold flat/house that has no insulation and is in a state of disrepair and live on cheap food and alcohol for 3 years.
Three points ....

1) The world is knee deep in unemployed Media Studies and Journalism graduates, many of whom end up doing jobs they could have quite easily got with just A levels - ie. Call Centres etc. £60,000 is a whopping great debt to take on for a degree that isn't going to help you get a job. A course in 'journalism' wont teach you how to write nor will it give you any advantage when applying for jobs on graduation (see - http://www.nctj.com/) - and its pretty useless in any other area of work. Think about doing a more general English degree or at least 'Media with....' something a bit more credible than Journalism?

2) Many people get cold feet about this time in the UCAS process - this is totally normal. Applying for Uni felt exciting to begin with and now the reality of A level exams, leaving school and actually going to Uni is starting to kick in. There are thousands of 17/18 year olds all over Britain feeling exactly the same as you at the moment.

3) Finally, just remember that Going to Uni isnt compulsory. You don't have to go now if you don't feel its right for you. If you need space to breathe before you actually go to Uni, then wait until you have your results and a confirmed Uni place and then defer for a year. Go and do something else for a year - work, travel, live a bit. And then see if you still want to go to Uni at all. Or get a relevant apprenticeship (you don't have to mention the Uni place) and see if that is a better solution. It has the major advantage of pay (not debt) from day one and someone else pays for your qualifications. See https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspxhttp://www.nctj.com/ and put in relevant keywords.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well I'm 21 been in work for 2 years because I didn't want to rush it, worse decision of my life, because I was still immature at college I was more interested in other things which lead my grade to drop, I'm waiting on 4 decision and my first choice uni, Kent, didn't accept me so I'm bricking it, but that's just me. You've been accepted by four university's so you know that's you can get into them so skipping a year won't harm but think long and hard about it. Also about not adjusting to uni life my friends say that they know people who are 22 -28 years old and there adjusting just fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending