The aristocracy is vital for English Heritage

Watch
RaveOnAvon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
An example of how social mobility can actually be catastrophic for rural Gloucestershire, Kent etc....The upper classes are the natural barometers of taste and understated elegance. The new money crowd (blue collar heroes, northerners, CillaTarbie, Asians) never get it right. If you wander through delightful towns like Tetbury or Midhurst, the established wealthy will typically have something like a red E-Type Jag parked outside a tasteful Cotswold Stone house with a well manicured cottage garden. Everyone else will plump for a supercharged black merc and a big mansion, but the true wealthy always rein it in and hold it back. Delightfully restrained.

This is what American tourists and the like wanna see. They want to see old England; not some Trotsky/lefty/multicultural metropolitian vision of what England should become. Remember its the Americans who got really excited about the Royal Wedding/Baby - we just mumbled and moaned in to our beer as usual. A lot of foreigners feel alienated when they see their favourite tourist sites filled with coaches of dreadlocks and turbans; they feel that that is contrary to the identity of the English landscape.

This is why huge sweeping social change just does not work in much of Southern England, we need to have respect for the old way of life; the real eccentrics and old school nutters. Social mobility and equal opportunities are harmful for rural England; conservatism for the countryside all the way. Tourism revenue is vital.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.15%
Uncertainty around my education (301)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (212)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (278)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (89)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.7%
Loneliness (175)
8.75%
Financial worries (72)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (94)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (109)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (177)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.45%

Watched Threads