Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

What do you dislike about Hull?

I'm no closer to deciding where to go, so clutching at straws here :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suppose the city isn't as big and lively as I'm used to, that said it's also an advantage because it is meant to be REALLY cheap to live there.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
The Library in its present state is a pain in the arse sometimes but its almost finished now and will be amazing when its done.
Reply 3
I personally think hull is a fantastic uni with a really friendly atmosphere. The amount of support you get as a student here is fantastic :smile: the library will be done by September - it's just had a 24m pound refurb and the bits I've seen are lovely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The only thing I don't like about it is the traffic going into the centre :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kaylababes
The only thing I don't like about it is the traffic going into the centre :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed with this, navigating Bev road/Newland near 5pm becomes a nightmare but nothing that can't be dealt with, just add an extra 10 mins on to expected journey time.

I can't think of much that's bad about Hull, it has a bad rep for no reason.
Reply 6
I live in a student house on Cottingham Road and at times I don't feel all that safe - there have been a few robberies and someone chased my housemate down the street after they saw him come out of the bank with an envelope once. The centre of hull is really nice but it's a pain to get to if you live near uni. The area around uni, in my opinion, feels quite bleak and deserted a lot of the time. Maybe that's just me. If you're thinking about studying music here though PLEASE don't! It's awful. I'm withdrawing and have a place elsewhere in September because I hate my course :P Hope this was helpful!
Reply 7
Different courses are for different people though, I've loved the music course so it depends on your preferences and style of learning. Also in terms of burglaries - no student is 100% safe, I've never been burgled personally but know people that have been. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm actually disturbed that you know people who's student accommodation has been burgled.

I'm heavily considering firming Hull. What accommodation is the safest/nicest would you say? Shared facilities and self-catered will do me just fine.
Reply 9
The lawns is where I stayed in my first year - there's a police station on site and 700 students ish - very social. There's also thwaite and needler. The accomodation oh is referring to is student housing. The first year accomodation is very secure. Any questions drop me a message, I'm about to graduate so have done all 3 years here x

Posted from TSR Mobile
All student areas are prone to burglaries no matter what city it is. A lot of them are down to the students themselves who seem to have a tendency to leave doors and windows unlocked and open making the job easy for the burglars.
Reply 11
Original post by Charliemouse
All student areas are prone to burglaries no matter what city it is. A lot of them are down to the students themselves who seem to have a tendency to leave doors and windows unlocked and open making the job easy for the burglars.

This, so much this. The burglaries you hear about are because some idiot leaves a door open and they walk right in. Though saying that there was a extreme case on auckland this year, some cheeky geez climbed up a drain pipe (I'm not kidding) and through a open window. There is patrolling security round all the university owned housing (Cranbrook/Cottingham/Auckland), I have not felt unsafe here.
As another student has posted above, Im transferring to a diff uni in sept after studying Biology Bsc for a year here at Hull. Im local and have lived here all my life, so decided to stay here and go to the local uni as it was financially beneficial. I hate it, its really unorganised, iv had nothing but bother all year. Im a disabled student, and despite the uni getting 25k off DSA to put help in place for me, iv had no notetaker all year, luckily managed to pass my exams despite having no notes with the aid of a dictaphone and borrowing from friends. Disabled services have passed the buck to the disabled advisor at the school im in ( biological sciences) and she passes it back to them, both blaming each other. My lectures are sometimes 9-10, then nothing until 4-5, so im hanging about all day then when you turn up for the afternoon they will have put a note on the door saying its cancelled. Most annoying!....quality for money is appaling. Lectures consist of them reading it word for word from a powerpoint which is uploaded prior to the internet learning site Ebridge. You could just stay home in the comfort of your own house and read it off there yourself and not bother turning up. No interactive learning, Q&A sessions ect.
Original post by tallica79
As another student has posted above, Im transferring to a diff uni in sept after studying Biology Bsc for a year here at Hull. Im local and have lived here all my life, so decided to stay here and go to the local uni as it was financially beneficial. I hate it, its really unorganised, iv had nothing but bother all year. Im a disabled student, and despite the uni getting 25k off DSA to put help in place for me, iv had no notetaker all year, luckily managed to pass my exams despite having no notes with the aid of a dictaphone and borrowing from friends. Disabled services have passed the buck to the disabled advisor at the school im in ( biological sciences) and she passes it back to them, both blaming each other. My lectures are sometimes 9-10, then nothing until 4-5, so im hanging about all day then when you turn up for the afternoon they will have put a note on the door saying its cancelled. Most annoying!....quality for money is appaling. Lectures consist of them reading it word for word from a powerpoint which is uploaded prior to the internet learning site Ebridge. You could just stay home in the comfort of your own house and read it off there yourself and not bother turning up. No interactive learning, Q&A sessions ect.

Thats is quite the opposite to the experience myself and my fellow history students have had from our department. It does seem some departments are a lot better than others and I feel lucky that history is easily one of the best ones at the uni. I did a free elective last year in the languages department and while I really enjoyed it, it was nowhere near as organised as the history modules and hardly anything was ever put on e-bridge.
Thats is quite the opposite to the experience myself and my fellow history students have had from our department. It does seem some departments are a lot better than others and I feel lucky that history is easily one of the best ones at the uni. I did a free elective last year in the languages department and while I really enjoyed it, it was nowhere near as organised as the history modules and hardly anything was ever put on e-bridge.

I did history at Hull too! :biggrin: I spent my first year at another uni so I have something to compare it to, and can confirm that the history department at Hull is brilliant. Moving up there was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Original post by spiral87
I'm no closer to deciding where to go, so clutching at straws here :frown:

Downsides of Hull is that it's quiet - there aren't many bands etc. that play. There is some good local music though, depending on what you're into. Pub culture is awesome, there are loads of great pubs. A few clubs - Welly played a really good eclectic mix of music the last couple of times I've been there. :smile:

As for the uni itself, I have no complaints! :smile: I had a great two years there, it really doesn't deserve its reputation.
Reply 15

Have you made a formal complaint?
Original post by Ebuwa
Have you made a formal complaint?

Hi Ebuwa,

Yes, I made a formal complaint with both disability services and the head of my school. Head of school basically said thanks for letting him know of the situation and he would speak to the school's disability advisor about my situation and I should meet with her at the start of next term to see if anything had changed. The head of disability services apologised profusely and blamed it on several members of staff leaving and having no replacements to sort assistance out for me. He is adamant they will have a reliable note taker in place for me at the start of term. I have no confidence this will be the case as I have heard this at the start of each term last year and still nothing sorted!
Reply 17
Hi Ebuwa,

Yes, I made a formal complaint with both disability services and the head of my school. Head of school basically said thanks for letting him know of the situation and he would speak to the school's disability advisor about my situation and I should meet with her at the start of next term to see if anything had changed. The head of disability services apologised profusely and blamed it on several members of staff leaving and having no replacements to sort assistance out for me. He is adamant they will have a reliable note taker in place for me at the start of term. I have no confidence this will be the case as I have heard this at the start of each term last year and still nothing sorted!

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope things improve for you

How did you find the elective?
Was it challenging?
How many hours did you do a week?
What language did you do?
How much did it count toward your degree?

Hi,

Yeah, I did a free elective last year World Archeology run by Helen, and she was really accommodating. Total different style of lecturing compared to the Bio dept, she used her slides to talk around not read off the powerpoint. She knew her stuff alright! The History dept has always been one of the best. My hubby is in Comp and his school is good aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest