GIRLS - Equality or Domination? Watch

SuperDuperNoob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
- 60% of college graduates are women and show no signs of stopping as soon they will be 70%

- Women under 30 earn 3.6% more than men in the UK and 8% in the USA. In states like Atlanta, the gap is 20%!!

- 4/10 households have women as their breadwinners. This will soon exceed 5/10

As you can see, the traditional gender roles have been reversed for this generation. Young women outshine young men in most ways, despite being single moms and such. The need for "strength" is almost gone now. So....

1. Do you want the gaps to continue to increase or is equality better?

2. Do you think that traditional "alpha male" and "masculinity" are the downfall of this generation's men?

3. Will you treat your boyfriend any differently if he earns less than you?

4. Will you expect a low income hubby to do more housework?

5. How does it feel to know the above facts?

:confused:
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. If they increase they increase though I'd rather they were more equal tbh.
2. Not at all.
3. Probably not only if he's work shy.
4. Nah, equal housework will do me fine.
5. I don't mind much. The one about pay is a bit alarming but the other 2 are mainly due to personal choice.
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SuperDuperNoob)
- 60% of college graduates are women and show no signs of stopping as soon they will be 70%

- Women under 30 earn 3.6% more than men in the UK and 8% in the USA. In states like Atlanta, the gap is 20%!!

- 4/10 households have women as their breadwinners. This will soon exceed 5/10

As you can see, the traditional gender roles have been reversed for this generation. Young women outshine young men in most ways, despite being single moms and such. The need for "strength" is almost gone now. So....

1. Do you want the gaps to continue to increase or is equality better?

2. Do you think that traditional "alpha male" and "masculinity" are the downfall of this generation's men?

3. Will you treat your boyfriend any differently if he earns less than you?

4. Will you expect a low income hubby to do more housework?

5. How does it feel to know the above facts?

:confused:
Statistics like these obscure the reality of the situation - yes there may be more female graduates, but what kinds of subjects are they studying? What jobs are they getting? Are they advancing at the same rates as male graduates? Rates of sexual violence against women in our universities are still far too high, for example, and instances of sexism against women are not uncommon. There are still too few women in positions of authority in Uk universities, eg. chancellors, VCs etc. the management is dominated by white, privileged men.

I would like to see the sources for the stats you quote on women earning more. Our country still lacks affordable, widely-available and high-quality childcare provisions that would allow many women, particularly single mothers, to compete on a more equal platform with men in the workplace. There still exists discrimination in promotions, etc.

Your stats on households are useless without any background info - are these single parent families? Why is there only one breadwinner? What kind of income is that family having to survive on? etc. - your stats prove nothing on their own, and in fact may well contradict your argument.

The 'traditional gender roles' have certainly not in any way been reversed, it's been shown that women still end up doing the vast majority of domestic work, even if they also take part in paid work, for example - women are now excelling despite these old restrictions, and thanks to some changes in legislation over the years, not because these things have disappeared.
Silver Arrows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't really care.
SuperDuperNoob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Antifazian)
Statistics like these obscure the reality of the situation - yes there may be more female graduates, but what kinds of subjects are they studying? What jobs are they getting? Are they advancing at the same rates as male graduates? Rates of sexual violence against women in our universities are still far too high, for example, and instances of sexism against women are not uncommon. There are still too few women in positions of authority in Uk universities, eg. chancellors, VCs etc. the management is dominated by white, privileged men. Men of the previous generation, ie, above 30, still make more money on an average. But this generation of girls is outnumbering and out-earning men in ALMOST all professions. And nobody can stop sexual violence because men are stronger and the policing of societies isn't good enough... yet

I would like to see the sources for the stats you quote on women earning more. Google Our country still lacks affordable, widely-available and high-quality childcare provisions that would allow many women, particularly single mothers, to compete on a more equal platform with men in the workplace. There still exists discrimination in promotions, etc.

Your stats on households are useless without any background info - are these single parent families? Why is there only one breadwinner? What kind of income is that family having to survive on? etc. - your stats prove nothing on their own, and in fact may well contradict your argument. Good observation. Only 25% of married women earn more than their men. However, marriage is becoming a thing of the past. For example, 55% of the new French generation is born from single mothers. I don't think that such things should be taken into consideration.

The 'traditional gender roles' have certainly not in any way been reversed, it's been shown that women still end up doing the vast majority of domestic work, even if they also take part in paid work, for example - women are now excelling despite these old restrictions, and thanks to some changes in legislation over the years, not because these things have disappeared. Yes, and they still earn as better.
Please answer my questions in the OP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
15.29%
The paper was reasonable (958)
55.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.51%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.5%

Watched Threads