why did the english built the stonehenge?

Watch
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
for ?
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no one knows, some kind of pagan religious ceremony to do with the Sun IIRC
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nobody knows: BUT

Many people do not realise that SH is only one (the biggest) of many of these stone circles that are situated in straight lines all across the country and indeed in northern europe. It was not a unique structure.
Silver Arrows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Something to do, I guess. I imagine the neolithic was a bit boring without the internet.

Jokes aside, nobody knows for sure, but it clearly has something to do with the sun. What I find interesting, and this is a theme I've heard from historians, is that the act of building it was significant. Some of the building materials used for Stonehenge and other structures (e.g. Silbury Hill) were sourced from far away when other more local materials would have done the job. It's been suggested that the toil involved in constructing these things were possibly part of the act of 'worship'. I find it amazing that people were building these things for hundreds of years. I've never seen any evidence that they had the means to write anything down, so the 'plans' would have been carried by word of mouth for many generations, presumably without any significant alterations.
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The question is, "Why did aliens want us to build Stonehenge?"

Puzzling indeed :hmmmm:
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Damn you beat me to it! :lol: these guys are hilarious
octoberrain
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's supposed to be something religious and rituals and stuff.
It was built according to the Sun's position so that at a certain time of the day on the 21st March/June/September/December the rays of the Sun would go through a certain part of Stonehenge reaching the middle. Now it wouldn't be the same anymore as coordinates have changed because the Earth is alligned a bit different than it was 10000(?) years ago.
It was something like that, I saw a documentary on it about 1-2 years ago.

Have a good day and may the odds be ever in your favour.
EarthlingyThingy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
BTW as an Englishman I feel compelled to remind you and educate you of the fact that, the English played no part in the building of stone henge.

It was the native Britons that built it; so-called because of their being a 'tattooed people' which is basically the meaning behind the word. Etc. etc. etc. But not the English, who came from the Schleswig Holstein area of the now Germany / Denmark.
rasberyl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They were bored, as bored people get.
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EarthlingyThingy)
BTW as an Englishman I feel compelled to remind you and educate you of the fact that, the English played no part in the building of stone henge.

It was the native Britons that built it; so-called because of their being a 'tattooed people' which is basically the meaning behind the word. Etc. etc. etc. But not the English, who came from the Schleswig Holstein area of the now Germany / Denmark.
Wasn't even the Britons; was the prehistoric people who lived there before the Celts.
EarthlingyThingy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tufto)
Wasn't even the Britons; was the prehistoric people who lived there before the Celts.
Well there never was a peoples called the Britons or Celts anyway. The people's I am referring to are the natives of the isles that later would be referred to as Britons and even later referred to as Celts.

Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EarthlingyThingy)
Well there never was a peoples called the Britons or Celts anyway. The people's I am referring to are the natives of the isles that later would be referred to as Britons and even later referred to as Celts.

Ah, but the builders of Stonehenge and the Celts were different the Celts were a large culture which spread slowly into Britain and eventually absorbed the natives. The people who built Stonehenge were the aforementioned natives, who were there earlier.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They had some bare drugs brah.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To confuse us.
goonermk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
poland only joined the EU in 2004
Qymberley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by goonermk)
poland only joined the EU in 2004
interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed