The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh freshers 2014!

Hey, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for all the new freshers this year (sorry if there is already one). But basically just wondering how much money people are planning on taking for freshers week! I was planning on taking about 300-400, but some of that is for joining the gym and societies etc! What yous all thinking? Also, I have a budget of roughly £140 per week after that for everything (clothes, food, toiletries, booze etc), what has everyone else got as their budget? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by eilidhkegg
Hey, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for all the new freshers this year (sorry if there is already one). But basically just wondering how much money people are planning on taking for freshers week! I was planning on taking about 300-400, but some of that is for joining the gym and societies etc! What yous all thinking? Also, I have a budget of roughly £140 per week after that for everything (clothes, food, toiletries, booze etc), what has everyone else got as their budget? :smile:

I am more concerned with getting the right grades to get in than with the budget :biggrin: And I dont even know what the freshers week is :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by naizz_07
I am more concerned with getting the right grades to get in than with the budget :biggrin: And I dont even know what the freshers week is :biggrin:

aw I'm already in so I don't need to worry about that! and it's the week of partying before your course starts haha
Reply 3
I just got an offer, I think Edinburgh will be my firm!

I am planning on doing things super mega cheap, hopefully university won't just be about learning law but also learning some life skills like cooking, budgeting and taking care of myself when money runs thin. I haven't fully worked out costs yet because I didn't know if I'd be going :biggrin: I am not a big drinker, so I'm thinking on freshers week I won't need as much money as someone planning to get smashed every night... I'll try and be the person looking after everyone else! I have too many dresses, shoes, jeans and stuff so I think clothes are covered. I'm thinking of going self catered but I am a bit unsure at this moment...

I am hoping to join quite a few societies but also get a job so that I can keep myself afloat. It will be tough managing my time but I'm hoping to make the most out of university and not just sit around all day doing nothing... I quite like the look of the feminist society and some of the volunteering options, but I'm quite into pretty geeky things so something like the science fiction & fantasy society looks quite nice.
Original post by Ambry
I just got an offer, I think Edinburgh will be my firm!

I am planning on doing things super mega cheap, hopefully university won't just be about learning law but also learning some life skills like cooking, budgeting and taking care of myself when money runs thin. I haven't fully worked out costs yet because I didn't know if I'd be going :biggrin: I am not a big drinker, so I'm thinking on freshers week I won't need as much money as someone planning to get smashed every night... I'll try and be the person looking after everyone else! I have too many dresses, shoes, jeans and stuff so I think clothes are covered. I'm thinking of going self catered but I am a bit unsure at this moment...

I am hoping to join quite a few societies but also get a job so that I can keep myself afloat. It will be tough managing my time but I'm hoping to make the most out of university and not just sit around all day doing nothing... I quite like the look of the feminist society and some of the volunteering options, but I'm quite into pretty geeky things so something like the science fiction & fantasy society looks quite nice.

Yay! Same as you, I don't really drink alcohol (at all )so I won't be spending that much. I plan to get all my clothes etc. before hand . I'm just going to join as many societies and clubs as possible since I don't really club, where I'll meet more people etc. I'm thinking Japanese society, Badminton and maybe Judo (which I've never done before :smile: )
What accommodation have you picked ?
Not too sure about budgeting for Freshers.
Working full time throughout the summer so I probably won't have a rough idea until August or so!

I started having a weekend job when I was 13/14 so I don't know what I would do in my free time if I didn't have job during uni. So I will be actively job-seeking!

Definitely will be joining as many as possible! Save The Children, Debating, History, Feminist (although I have heard this society is quite extreme + radical), WW2)

I have seen there is a Chocolate society!

Very excited to be going to Edinburgh! Who has been looking at accommodation?
Reply 6
What courses are you all doing? I'm thinking of either joining the jazz orchestra or something else music-y! I'm thinking of staying in New Arthur Place, don't have a 2nd or 3rd choice yet
Original post by cheese26
What courses are you all doing? I'm thinking of either joining the jazz orchestra or something else music-y! I'm thinking of staying in New Arthur Place, don't have a 2nd or 3rd choice yet

I'm doing Japanese, what about yourself? I have a few societies in mind like the Japanese society and Badminton club but other than that I'm not 100% sure yet. I chose Deaconess, Portsburgh and Blackfriars. Don't want to have to stay in Blackfriars though...
Reply 8
Been looking at accommodation, I think that somewhere like Sciennes, College Wynd or Nicolson Street might be the best for me... All pretty affordable, and near to places I need to go!
I really like the look of the Sciennes common room area... My head and heart are telling me to just firm Edinburgh but I'm going to wait a little bit until after the post offer visit.

Is anyone else thinking about living on a seriously tight budget like me? XD
Reply 9
Original post by GFerguson1735
I'm doing Japanese, what about yourself? I have a few societies in mind like the Japanese society and Badminton club but other than that I'm not 100% sure yet. I chose Deaconess, Portsburgh and Blackfriars. Don't want to have to stay in Blackfriars though...

Cool! I'm doing chemistry. Portsburgh actually looks quite nice too.
I just sent away my accommodation application and the budgeting is making my head spin! I'm working part time now, and full time in the summer, so the plan is to save as much as I can before I make the move. My worst nightmare is having a total blow out during freshers and then not having two pennies to rub together by the next week haha. I do like a drink every now and again, but where I live drinks are dirt cheap, I have no idea what it's like in Edinburgh. Might need to invest in one of those piggy banks that don't have an opening slot :smile:
Reply 11
hey, i really wanna start playingrugby at uni of edinburgh, but have never played before?

Is there like a freshers team for newbies? :P
Reply 12
Original post by Ambry
Been looking at accommodation, I think that somewhere like Sciennes, College Wynd or Nicolson Street might be the best for me... All pretty affordable, and near to places I need to go!
I really like the look of the Sciennes common room area... My head and heart are telling me to just firm Edinburgh but I'm going to wait a little bit until after the post offer visit.

Is anyone else thinking about living on a seriously tight budget like me? XD

Hey, Ambry!

I have just received an offer from Edinburgh and I think this will be my firm choice. It's a tough decision between Edinburgh and Glasgow Uni though :biggrin:.
I am also on a tiiight budget and Sciennes caught my eye too! :smile:) The common room area is just fantastic. I told myself I would become a pro at billiard in the future.
What will you study at the University? I have applied to Computer Science with Management.
Reply 13
Original post by bambiislegless
I just sent away my accommodation application and the budgeting is making my head spin! I'm working part time now, and full time in the summer, so the plan is to save as much as I can before I make the move. My worst nightmare is having a total blow out during freshers and then not having two pennies to rub together by the next week haha. I do like a drink every now and again, but where I live drinks are dirt cheap, I have no idea what it's like in Edinburgh. Might need to invest in one of those piggy banks that don't have an opening slot :smile:

You will probably be fine :biggrin: I would say look at what's on offer at freshers and plan accordingly - I know they did a wristband thing last year for fifty quid that got you in to nearly every event! If you see what societies or things you want to do and work out the price for drink and don't go over your money, you'll have loads left.

If you get a part time job during term that should hopefully cover food and alcohol :biggrin: I think we students will just have to be smart with money and save like crazy people!
Reply 14
Original post by Lorre17
Hey, Ambry!

I have just received an offer from Edinburgh and I think this will be my firm choice. It's a tough decision between Edinburgh and Glasgow Uni though :biggrin:.
I am also on a tiiight budget and Sciennes caught my eye too! :smile:) The common room area is just fantastic. I told myself I would become a pro at billiard in the future.
What will you study at the University? I have applied to Computer Science with Management.

Hey!
I was kind of stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh too, but I think I really want to move away and experience something totally different - so in my heart Edinburgh probably wins!
I do think Sciennes might be my first choice because of its common room... It'll be so easy to get to know people! It looks really cosy with all those little chairs and cushions...

I'll be studying law and I am really excited! Going to be four years of working hard but hopefully having fun too :biggrin:
Reply 15
Yay! Same as you, I don't really drink alcohol (at all )so I won't be spending that much. I plan to get all my clothes etc. before hand . I'm just going to join as many societies and clubs as possible since I don't really club, where I'll meet more people etc. I'm thinking Japanese society, Badminton and maybe Judo (which I've never done before :smile: )
What accommodation have you picked ?

Societies and clubs will be fun... I haven't really joined that many so far in my life so I'm looking forward to that. It seems like a good chance to meet people with similar interests :biggrin:
I'm thinking of going for Sciennes or College Wynd.
Reply 16
Original post by Ambry
Hey!
I was kind of stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh too, but I think I really want to move away and experience something totally different - so in my heart Edinburgh probably wins!
I do think Sciennes might be my first choice because of its common room... It'll be so easy to get to know people! It looks really cosy with all those little chairs and cushions...

I'll be studying law and I am really excited! Going to be four years of working hard but hopefully having fun too :biggrin:

Ahh, are you living in Glasgow? It must be cool! I had kind of an obsession about Glasgow...but then I have received the offer from Edinburgh (and surprisingly it is easier for me to get in regarding the conditions).
I have started to compare the reputation and influence of the two universities, then the cities (nightlife, culture, even weather :biggrin:) and now I only think of Edinburgh. Also my relatives and my close friends encourage me to go to Edinburgh!
Law...yep, you will have to do some hard work, but it looks like you're very determined, so you're halfway there :wink:. Computer Science also scares me a bit!
Original post by eilidhkegg

You're going to spend £20 a day after freshers? Which bank did you rob?
Reply 18
Original post by Lorre17
Ahh, are you living in Glasgow? It must be cool! I had kind of an obsession about Glasgow...but then I have received the offer from Edinburgh (and surprisingly it is easier for me to get in regarding the conditions).
I have started to compare the reputation and influence of the two universities, then the cities (nightlife, culture, even weather :biggrin:) and now I only think of Edinburgh. Also my relatives and my close friends encourage me to go to Edinburgh!
Law...yep, you will have to do some hard work, but it looks like you're very determined, so you're halfway there :wink:. Computer Science also scares me a bit!

I don't live in the city but I live really close by, so going to Glasgow uni would mean I'd just stay! It is a beautiful and great university, but I think Edinburgh is more my kind of place :biggrin:
Computing science will be tough but there is always something new to learn with it and, as a degree and career, it's pretty versatile!

Woah. I'm also planning on joining the Japanese society (I'm Japanese myself). Hope to see you there :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending