http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...sanctions.html

What do people think of this?
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Pulse.)
Its absolutely ridiculous, all this polarisation between the West and Russia is being pushed by the US who have relatively no implications on their economy by taking such a decision. It just shows how our political leaders are putting politics ahead of everything else, if anything in this situation we need political stability between the strongest countries and for certain one way or another this will rebound on the public.
This is what I thought at first, personally I don't believe the situation is worth potentially kickstarting something a lot bigger in worldwide politics.

Would you say Russia should face no sanctions at all for essentially invading crimea (even though a lot of the population claim they're Russian citizens anyway?)
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davelittle)
This is what I thought at first, personally I don't believe the situation is worth potentially kickstarting something a lot bigger in worldwide politics.

Would you say Russia should face no sanctions at all for essentially invading crimea (even though a lot of the population claim they're Russian citizens anyway?)
Well what I know is that out of the 80% of attendees for the referundum about 90% voted to join Russia, whether or not there was a third option is besides the point. In my opinion I do think Sanctions are a gesture that best not be made; regardless of whatever impact they have this should have developed through diplomacy and not economic consequences. Russia didnt cause or finance the revolution in Ukraine and they sure as hell arent supporting a government that is openly racist.

Also Im sick of hearing this whole crap about international law and constitution, it was broken when the revolution took place.
member403966
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a stupid move on the West's part. They didn't get their way, so are now making haphazard and silly decisions in an attempt to "hurt" Russia. Anybody who thinks the West gives a flying **** about the rights of Ukrainian civilians or the sovereignty of the land is very, very, very naive and bordering on imbecility. Possibly a 60 second memory to boot. I doubt Putin cares...

Watch this video. These events don't just happen by chance lol. If you think they do, you're the government's dream drone. Sure, it's biased but what news broadcaster isn't? I've watched enough BBC BS to last me a lifetime. At least it seeks an element of the truth.

Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by thenewone61)
It's a stupid move on the West's part. They didn't get their way, so are now making haphazard and silly decisions in an attempt to "hurt" Russia. Anybody who thinks the West gives a flying **** about the rights of Ukrainian civilians or the sovereignty of the land is very, very, very naive and bordering on imbecility. Possibly a 60 second memory to boot. I doubt Putin cares...

Watch this video. These events don't just happen by chance lol. If you think they do, you're the government's dream drone. Sure, it's biased but what news broadcaster isn't? I've watched enough BBC BS to last me a lifetime. At least it seeks an element of the truth.

Interesting video, puts a different spin onto the story we've been hearing over hear doesn't it!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...sanctions.html

What do people think of this?
Good. Russia is not like us, it neither has the respect for liberty of the west or the love of the market that Asia has. 20% of it's annual output comes from state owned industries, it's economy is massively overhyped and it's military is nowhere close to the strength that people think (combine the navies and air force of the UK and France and we have overwhelming naval and air superiority). We should not have to treat them with any respect.

If i'm really being honest though the G8 is going to become less important overtime anyway as a future G4 rules the roost (US, Euro-zone, China, India), these economies as they develop (the Euro-zone politically, China and India economically and militarily) will have an overwhelming impact on global affairs. The likes of even Russia, Mexico, Brazil and the UK are side stories.
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not worth arguing with Russia over. The US seem to be pushing this anti Russian agenda for no other reason than wanting a fight. When the vote came back with Crimean citizens wanting to be Russia the west lost any chance, we routinely use the same argument for ourselves so we can't really fight it.
PropagandaBuster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The west doesn't want peace they want war why do you think they hijacked Ukraine? because right next to Ukraine is Russia. To quote Kissinger Zionist psychopath "Ukraine will be a bridge between Russia and the US"
PropagandaBuster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless we have regime change we could see WW3. Millions will die, the US would use nukes on Russia they've used them before. They have no problem murdering millions of "gentile" Down with the ZOG. Zionist occupied governments.Behind all wars, death and destruction.
tonymcdonald
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Interesting video, puts a different spin onto the story we've been hearing over hear doesn't it!
You do reallise that this is russian state owned tv?
RT is notoriously anti American and anti west
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aoide)
Not worth arguing with Russia over. The US seem to be pushing this anti Russian agenda for no other reason than wanting a fight. When the vote came back with Crimean citizens wanting to be Russia the west lost any chance, we routinely use the same argument for ourselves so we can't really fight it.
Who was it that said the Cold War never ended?

It seems to me that Russia still hates the west and the last twenty years have seen the US develop such an economic and political lead over Russia that there's now no reproach to their actions.
Aoide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Who was it that said the Cold War never ended?

It seems to me that Russia still hates the west and the last twenty years have seen the US develop such an economic and political lead over Russia that there's now no reproach to their actions.
Possibly true, however the situation has definitely cooled down and I think it is everyone's interests to keep it that way. The US might be the global superpower but they are mistaken if they think they can push Russia around like they do other countries. Russians remember the cold war just as much as Americans and the US is hardly popular throughout the world right now.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aoide)
Possibly true, however the situation has definitely cooled down and I think it is everyone's interests to keep it that way. The US might be the global superpower but they are mistaken if they think they can push Russia around like they do other countries. Russians remember the cold war just as much as Americans and the US is hardly popular throughout the world right now.
Whether the US is popular with the world does not matter, it's popular with EU governments and China.. that's all that matters.

I'm not so sure. The saving grace for Russia here is Europe and energy, if this were to happen in a decade (by which time shale gas and oil from Europe and the US would end dependence on Russia) then i'd suggest that the economic sanctions the west would impose would strangle Russia good and proper. The capital flight from the current situation alone is expected to put Russia back in recession, imagine what the EU and US would do economically if Russian gas was out the equation (which after Crimea, it almost certainly will be in a decade).

The truth is that's it's a risk now but with a declining population and horribly structured economy the Cold War is only ever going to have one eventual winner.
Aoide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Whether the US is popular with the world does not matter, it's popular with EU governments and China.. that's all that matters.

I'm not so sure. The saving grace for Russia here is Europe and energy, if this were to happen in a decade (by which time shale gas and oil from Europe and the US would end dependence on Russia) then i'd suggest that the economic sanctions the west would impose would strangle Russia good and proper. The capital flight from the current situation alone is expected to put Russia back in recession, imagine what the EU and US would do economically if Russian gas was out the equation (which after Crimea, it almost certainly will be in a decade).

The truth is that's it's a risk now but with a declining population and horribly structured economy the Cold War is only ever going to have one eventual winner.
Popularity is important, if the US is going to start turning people against Russia they will play the same game right back. The EU and China might be economically important but the middle east isn't insignificant and while other regions might not have the power to force the US to do anything they have the potential to make things a bit uncomfortable. If countries start being forced to take sides with military gesturing it won't be the world against Russia. Money is king but popularity matters.

I have no doubt the US is still in a dominant position and growing but Russia is still big enough that going head to head with them will have repercussions. In the last decade America have ruled the world with no contest and acted freely without consequence, this isn't something they can get away with when it comes to Russia. Russia may not be able to win but American can't rely on the same blunt tactics they have been using elsewhere.
PropagandaBuster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Check out Stefan Molyneux's thoughts on what's going on. Interesting fact Ronald Reagan actually booted out these neo-conservatives and prosecuted them but when George H. W. Bush became president he pardoned them. These neo-cons, short for neo-conservatives are everywhere on the Democrat and Republican party. What you should note is these neo-cons just so happen to all be Jewish. Coincidence? Look at Project for the New American Century it was created entirely by American Jews. Once of these Jews is Robert Kagan who is married to Victoria Nuland who as you all know is Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs. She's the one who has been overseeing the Ukrainian coup. for a new american century it was founded entirely by Jewis. In fact Victoria Nuland (Jewish woman) is married to Robert Kagan who was co-founder of NPAC. Neo-conservatism is not about American hegemony it is about Jewish hegemony and it all adds up. If it was not for the holocaust people would have risen up long ago. The media propaganda machine in America being all Jewish owned has demonised Putin since he came into power. Why do they hate him? because he actually helped build Russia up from the ashes. When the soviet union collapsed wealthy Jewish oligarch's plundered Russia while the people starved. America's under a regime, Britain is under a regime along with most of Europe. A Zionist Regime.There cannot be peace when we allow these psychopaths in power.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (577)
34.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (688)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.48%

Watched Threads