Advanced Higher Investigation - Resonance

Watch
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not sure if you do an investigation elsewhere in the UK and elsewhere, but my advanced higher investigation for the course is on resonance and more specifically electrical resonance. Basically I need to do 3/4 experiments and write up a report on the topic. My first two experiments were series and parallel resonance in an LC circuit. So I had ranges of capacitors and inductors and investigated what happened to the resonant frequency of the circuit when you changed the capacitance and kept the inductance the same and vice versa.

So for series, I got that the resonant frequency decreased as either the capacitance or inductance increased, where the resonant frequency was produced at a max current. And for parallel the same but at a min current.

I wasn't sure what to do for a 3rd experiment and my teacher told me to add a resistor to the circuit to make it an LCR circuit. However, I'm not sure if it's much of a different experiment just adding a resistor. Is there another part of resonance I can investigate using an LCR circuit?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AndrewSCO)
I'm not sure if it's much of a different experiment just adding a resistor. Is there another part of resonance I can investigate using an LCR circuit?
Some questions for you to ponder:

Why do the LC circuits resonate?

Think about how energy is stored by the capacitor and then by the inductor and then ask yourself how is the energy exchanged between the two and how does that relate to the restoring force and hence amplitude of the currents and voltages?

How is the circuit excited into resonance? Is resonance sustained? Where is the energy dissipated if the resonance is not sustained?

What function does a resistor perform in a circuit?

What happens when the value of resistance changes? How then does the resistor affect the resonant circuit?

Answer these and you will be well on your way.

Please acknowledge, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%