Disappointed with Netflix Watch

QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been thinking about getting Netflix for a while so today signed up to the 30 day free trial.

But so far, I'm massively underwhelmed by the choices. I thought maybe New Girl or Game of Thrones may be on there. Nope. Other films I like they don't have.

They don't even have Harry Potter? Popular films such as Notting Hill, Love Actually, Grease aren't on (not that I want to watch them but they are at least relatively popular) Friends, again, not there.

From what I understand the US version of the site has some of these but for the UK, not. For £5.99 I'm not overly surprised but expected to find some of the films/ tv shows I searched for to be there. I've tried typing all the popular films from the last few decades I can think of and few of them are there. Definitely won't be signing up no matter how cheap it is.

Really disappointed by it. Anyone else found this? I
abbasahmed786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same
They have a lot of good USA dramas.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
I've been thinking about getting Netflix for a while so today signed up to the 30 day free trial.

But so far, I'm massively underwhelmed by the choices. I thought maybe New Girl or Game of Thrones may be on there. Nope. Other films I like they don't have.

They don't even have Harry Potter? Popular films such as Notting Hill, Love Actually, Grease aren't on (not that I want to watch them but they are at least relatively popular) Friends, again, not there.

From what I understand the US version of the site has some of these but for the UK, not. For £5.99 I'm not overly surprised but expected to find some of the films/ tv shows I searched for to be there. I've tried typing all the popular films from the last few decades I can think of and few of them are there. Definitely won't be signing up no matter how cheap it is.

Every Friday night we play the netflix game.

step 1: Try to think of a film we want to watch.

step 2: does netflix have it? no. return to step 1.

this can go on for hours before we resort to wasting 2 hours of our lives watching some **** film no-one even wanted to see and wishing we had just gone out to the pub instead.
Abstraction
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

What! Netflix is definitely one of the best things to ever happen to me lol, there's a LOT of good drama:

- Breaking Bad
- Prison Break (seriously start watching this. Once you start, good luck stopping)
- House of Cards!
- The Bridge
- Dexter
QI Elf
Rep:
?
The way people go on about it I thought I was massively missing out on something and would discover a whole new world of tv shows and films I'd always wanted to watch but hadn't got round to.

Apparently not.
QI Elf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abstraction)
What! Netflix is definitely one of the best things to ever happen to me lol, there's a LOT of good drama:

- Breaking Bad
- Prison Break (seriously start watching this. Once you start, good luck stopping)
- House of Cards!
- The Bridge
- Dexter
None of those you've listed have appealed to me before (though I have heard good things about The Bridge) and reading the info about them, none really appeal. But I've just started watching Prison Break at your suggestion and am half way through the pilot. TBH I'd stopped watching before if it wasn't for your recommendation. I'll watch the whole of the episode and see what happens. But I will give The Bridge a try.

I guess its more the fact that the things I wanted to watch but haven't yet seen on TV (New Girl, Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, Friends) aren't on there.
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's only worth having Netflix if you live in the US. The UK version is rubbish by comparison.
Abstraction
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
None of those you've listed have appealed to me before (though I have heard good things about The Bridge) and reading the info about them, none really appeal. But I've just started watching Prison Break at your suggestion and am half way through the pilot. TBH I'd stopped watching before if it wasn't for your recommendation. I'll watch the whole of the episode and see what happens. But I will give The Bridge a try.

I guess its more the fact that the things I wanted to watch but haven't yet seen on TV (New Girl, Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, Friends) aren't on there.
Yeah, I understand. I was hoping for shows like Game of Thrones and Mad Dogs lol. I must say though, sorry but New Girl is kinda crap...really not funny at all XD
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
None of those you've listed have appealed to me before (though I have heard good things about The Bridge) and reading the info about them, none really appeal. But I've just started watching Prison Break at your suggestion and am half way through the pilot. TBH I'd stopped watching before if it wasn't for your recommendation. I'll watch the whole of the episode and see what happens.

I was going to agree with you about Netflix, it's certainly got a limited lifespan. A few months at most.

But then, based on your comment above it's clear that you're just avoiding some great TV shows and Netflix isn't entirely to blame. Breaking Bad, Dexter and Prison Break (first 2 seasons) are must-watch shows. I think every season of Lost is also on there if you haven't seen that.

Comedy-wise, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is on there. One of the best comedies around in my opinion. It's amazing.
Gigabit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get Unblock-Us: problem solved.
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The way people go on about it I thought I was massively missing out on something and would discover a whole new world of tv shows and films I'd always wanted to watch but hadn't got round to.

Apparently not.
You on Google Chrome?

If you are go to their app store and download Hola Unblocker. All you have to do is turn it on when you're about to use Netflix and choose which country you want. I'd recommend US or Canada as they have the best options.
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like Netflix. It's range is a tad restrictive, but so are all such sites. There are some really good shows on there (Like the European-made "Borgia", infinitely better than the rubbish American show on the same subject and, I would argue, actually better than GoT. A lot more violent and sex-filled (which actually makes it more accurate, amazingly) than either of those two, though).
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I primarily use it for the cartoons
pane123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use a program called "Hide My Ass", which allows me to watch US Netflix. Well worth £5.99 a month when you have access to the American version.
lukeface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see all the hate Netflix gets. Film-wise it's a little-weak- or maybe that's because people go in expecting films they already know and like. I've found plenty of excellent films i've never heard of before- Endless sunshine of the spotless mind, almost famous, and the usual suspects to name but a few. Don't go in criticising what isn't there, embrace what is there!

TV programmes is pretty excellent in my opinion. Comedies you have The Office (US and UK), Arrested Development, and Always Sunny in Philidelphia-which I would never have heard of without netflix, even though it's by far my favourite sitcom.

Then there's the heavy hitting dramas already mentioned; Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Dexter. They've even recently added Homeland, which is great. Even if there's not that many TV programmes you like, each one absorbs enough of your time to make it worthwhile.
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Use Hola Better internet to get the US & UK versions.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Meh.

Netflix, Lovefilm and the like all pale in comparison compared to sites which are typically blocked by our glorious government in terms of content. When you're used to having everything for free, paying for not really much you'd like to watch seems nonsensical.
Technetium
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was extremely disappointed too, after rave-reviews from my flat-mates at university I succumbed and trialled it. They don't even have a good selection of Classics let alone Blockbuster hits! I've gone back to iTunes.
Steezy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
You on Google Chrome?

If you are go to their app store and download Hola Unblocker. All you have to do is turn it on when you're about to use Netflix and choose which country you want. I'd recommend US or Canada as they have the best options.
Someone told me you could do that. Thanks!!
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use Netflix for The US Office, Dexter, and Orange is the New Black.
It serves my needs nicely. Although I remember being very underwhelmed by it when I first got it.
As others have pointed out, there are various methods of accessing the range of programmes on offer for US users
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads