Law question, Please Help!

Watch this thread
jaya44
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A wrote a letter to B offering to sell my engineer machine for £2000. On receiving the offer letter B sent a letter of a counter offer of £1900 to A. But, later on the same day B changed her mind, and sends a letter to A accepting the A offer of £2000. Both letters (counter offer and acceptance) arrive simultaneously to A house. A read the counter offer first.

What would you advise A? Has the contract been accepted? Does A have to sell the goods to B?

Please Help! Could someone please answer this. Thanks
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jaya44)
A wrote a letter to B offering to sell my engineer machine for £2000. On receiving the offer letter B sent a letter of a counter offer of £1900 to A. But, later on the same day B changed her mind, and sends a letter to A accepting the A offer of £2000. Both letters (counter offer and acceptance) arrive simultaneously to A house. A read the counter offer first.

What would you advise A? Has the contract been accepted? Does A have to sell the goods to B?

Please Help! Could someone please answer this. Thanks
The problem is to do with the 'postal rule' with regard to offer and acceptance, whereby the response is counted from the time and place it was posted, rather than from when it is read. That then plays into the question of whether the offer was accepted before the counter offer was made, and whether it operates to cancel the original offer, etc.

I'm not going to give you all the answers since that would defeat the point of you being set a question, but that should be enough to point you in the right direction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (22)
20.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
11.43%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (7)
6.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (18)
17.14%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
21.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
21.9%

Watched Threads