The Student Room Group

Share your gig reviews and experiences!

I thought that it'd be great to have a place where everyone can share their experiences good or bad from gigging!

This can include reviews, funny stories, your opinion of a bands live performance and if it lived up to your expectations, along with photos of the act that you saw or you with band members that you've met!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Welsh rockers Skindred, played a one off home town gig, with an usual name which plays homage to a move that they've put a claim too - The Newport Helicoptour. The one off gig which was held in The Newport Centre featured a line-up of Continents; Feed the Rhino, Hacktivist and The Blackout.

Continents started the gig and got the crowds pumped with songs such as Idle Hands, Pegasus Pegasus, Inhale and Regrets. After the crowd had sung along to the songs that they knew off they went and on came Feed the Rhino who took it up to a whole new level with pits at every corner of the room and the crowd jumping so hard that you could feel it in the seats! Feed the Rhino played songs such as their classic Tides.

Once everything calmed down and they finished their set on came Milton Keynes rockers Hacktivist, with their unique sound and the ability to get the crowd hanging off their every word caused them to put on one hell of a show and definitely got everyone pumped for the next support act, The Blackout. They had everyone in the crowd raise their middle finger in the air just before they played their most well-known song, Elevate. Even if you didn't know the lyrics before that, after the song you'd be singing the chorus for the rest of the night trying to resist to raise your middle finger once again. They covered Jay-Z and Kayne West's song ****** In Paris which for fans of the band and those who knew the original couldn't but sing a long too.

The Blackout, fellow Welsh rockers were up next, and boy did they get everyone going with their party based hit, Start the Party. Considering that they are the lightest sounded band on the line up with their infectious pop rock sound they still managed to get everyone on their and singing along to their songs without batting an eyelid. They also had the crowd intentionally booing them and calling them every bad name under the sun. Showbiz aye? They also played one of their most well-known hits; Children of the Night, which with its catchy chorus had everyone singing their hearts out, like their life depended on it.

Once they left the stage all that was left to do was wait for Skindred to come on, the wait felt like a lifetime. Once the lights went down, the crowd went absolutely bonkers and it didn't stop there. They came on to an Imperial March remix which had everyone singing the famous Star Wars theme as loud as they possible could with their voices already under a lot of strain from the previous bands. They started the night off with an oldie - Rat Race which got all fans both old and new singing along with the catchy lyrics and the beat which makes you want to jump the night away. Next up was a classic which all Skindred fans know off by heart - Doom Riff, this was the song that created all the pits and caused a lot of injuries from rocking too hard(if that's even possible!) They then went on to play a song of their newest album - Ninja, despite it being out for less than a year everyone was lapping up the atmosphere with the pits expanding and everyone just going bloody insane! They played another classic once Ninja finished - Cut Dem which just made everyone sing their hearts out.

After a short intermission they carried on playing with yet another oldie - Babylon, which with its simple but catchy lyrics had everyone jumping like their life depended on it and singing like their lungs were about to give in. Then keeping with the theme of the oldies, they played Bruises from the same album as Babylon, this again had the same effect causing everyone just too lose it and get down with the music. They then upped their game and played their biggest hit of the newest album - Kill the Power, this song had everyone singing along because of its catchy lyrics and the whole party vibe that it gives off, perfect for a one off hometown gig. Again keeping with the new album they played World's On Fire, which got the crowd going like nothing you've ever seen before, there was pits left right and centre, there was no where you could stand without being within a few feet of one.

The next intermission contained something that you'd never expect to see at a gig of bands of this genre, it was a remix of Thrift Shop, Don’t Stop Me Now and We Will Rock; this caused the crowd to go mental as everyone knew those songs, because let’s face it that doesn't? The crowd were sufficiently ready for the next lot of songs to be played, the song which kicked off the next couple of songs was Trouble, which yet again caused the moshers to go nuts because let’s face it, it’s a song about getting into trouble and they tend too. They then played Pressure yet another well-known song, Pressure, this had everyone singing and just generally having a good time because it’s catchy and up beat lyrics. Next up was Nobody, yet another well-known song by them, which caused everyone to sing along and unite with their love of good music, the pits died down just ever so slightly for this song, but they still were there moshing away.

Then that seemed like it was the end of their set as they disappeared off the stage, but that didn’t stop the crowd from cheering them on and wanting more. With an unanimous chant of ‘Skindred’ and ‘We Want More’, they returned, for a final two songs. Just what the crowd had asked for. They slowed it down for the first song, which was off their newest album, We Live, this song acted as almost a relaxant which caused everyone to calm down and just appreciate the music and the fact that they were stood in front of an amazing band.

The final song caused the gig to end with a bang, and gave the tour its name. Benji asked the crowd to take off their jackets and prepare themselves for the Newport Helicopter, to those who may not know what the Newport Helicopter is its where when the band play Warning, and when Benji tells you to do it, you lift your jacket/top into the air and start swinging it above your head in a circular motion, just like a helicopter.

The crowd went ballistic, with a mixture of jumping up and down, swinging their tops and jackets, singing and pits, the sight was absolutely amazing, something that you’d only ever get to see when Skindred are playing, and if you have ever seen them live then you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Overall it was an amazing night and something that if you were there you’d cherish the memories of that night forever, if you weren’t too drunk not to remember it that is!
Reply 2
bump
Best performance I've seen has to go to the rolling stones. Managed to get front row at Glastonbury last june and it really was spectacular! Even at 70 Jagger and co are still phenomenal:smile:
Black Sabbath last year ! Ozzy is still amazing. Iron Maiden were epic too :P In terms of new bands Rival Sons is the band to see
Reply 5
Foster the People @ Troxy on 24/03/14; they were insanely good. They played hard, entertained the crowd and everyone had an amazing time. I'll definitely catch their next UK tour.
Reply 6
Original post by SynBio
Foster the People @ Troxy on 24/03/14; they were insanely good. They played hard, entertained the crowd and everyone had an amazing time. I'll definitely catch their next UK tour.

OMG I wanted to review tis yesterday but then fell asleep! :colondollar: Disappointed they didn't play Call It What You Want though :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ipoop
OMG I wanted to review tis yesterday but then fell asleep! :colondollar: Disappointed they didn't play Call It What You Want though :frown:

Fair, though Coming of Age, Don't Stop (Color the Walls), Pumped up Kicks and Houdini more than made up for it!
Reply 8
Original post by SynBio
Fair, though Coming of Age, Don't Stop (Color the Walls), Pumped up Kicks and Houdini more than made up for it!

Houldini was amazing! I loved Pumped Up Kicks though, at the bridge Mark didn't have to signal the crows, everyone started clapping along, and his dancing at the beginning :love: The venue was really nice though and sound was far much better than other venues it's size I've been to. Where in the crowd were you? I was stuck behind one of the camera men when Say Lou Lou was performing, thankfully I moved at the interval :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by ipoop
Houldini was amazing! I loved Pumped Up Kicks though, at the bridge Mark didn't have to signal the crows, everyone started clapping along, and his dancing at the beginning :love: The venue was really nice though and sound was far much better than other venues it's size I've been to. Where in the crowd were you? I was stuck behind one of the camera men when Say Lou Lou was performing, thankfully I moved at the interval :tongue:

When looking at the stage, I was right up at the front, to the left. There was like, one row of people between and mine and the railings. It was awesome :smile: What did you think of Say Lou Lou?
Reply 10
Original post by SynBio
When looking at the stage, I was right up at the front, to the left. There was like, one row of people between and mine and the railings. It was awesome :smile: What did you think of Say Lou Lou?

They were not bad I suppose. I did think the crowd was very polite and well behaved, as is the often the case in London. I did look them up on Sunday before the gig, and their recorded stuff sounded better tbh. Then again they did say they'd only been writing for two years or something like that, so inexperience maybe. I mean I saw FTP 2 years ago at Brixton Academy and Monday was FAR better sound wise and energy wise from Mark than Brixton, so maybe they just need to face different crowds around the world to better know how they want to sound live and stuff :biggrin:

What did you think?
Reply 11
Original post by ipoop
They were not bad I suppose. I did think the crowd was very polite and well behaved, as is the often the case in London. I did look them up on Sunday before the gig, and their recorded stuff sounded better tbh. Then again they did say they'd only been writing for two years or something like that, so inexperience maybe. I mean I saw FTP 2 years ago at Brixton Academy and Monday was FAR better sound wise and energy wise from Mark than Brixton, so maybe they just need to face different crowds around the world to better know how they want to sound live and stuff :biggrin:

What did you think?

Not a fan of Say Lou Lou. I wanted to get hyped so I sent with it, but not super impressed. The sheer energy Mark had was un-believable. He was going *hard*!! Plus he looked amazing, not gonna lie :tongue:

The new album has yet to grow on me, but it'll come I'm sure.
Reply 12
Original post by SynBio
Not a fan of Say Lou Lou. I wanted to get hyped so I sent with it, but not super impressed. The sheer energy Mark had was un-believable. He was going *hard*!! Plus he looked amazing, not gonna lie :tongue:

The new album has yet to grow on me, but it'll come I'm sure.

That leather jacket was really nice. Could you read what was on the tshirt though? :beard:
The new album is getting trashed by everyone :redface: I did read somewhere though that it's an album that is to grow on you rather than an instant love. I've not Purchased it yet actually :colondollar: Haven't even listened to the other tracks besides coming of age :colondollar: I want to know though, how they managed to play so well and very hard and still get up so early for bbc breakfast? I arrived home at midnight and I was pooped! Slept around 1 and woke up at 11!
Reply 13
Original post by ipoop
That leather jacket was really nice. Could you read what was on the tshirt though? :beard:
The new album is getting trashed by everyone :redface: I did read somewhere though that it's an album that is to grow on you rather than an instant love. I've not Purchased it yet actually :colondollar: Haven't even listened to the other tracks besides coming of age :colondollar: I want to know though, how they managed to play so well and very hard and still get up so early for bbc breakfast? I arrived home at midnight and I was pooped! Slept around 1 and woke up at 11!

Lucky you! I had to get up at 06:30 for school. Wanted to die. No idea what the shirt said, sorry! Wish I could have seen them again at Rough Trade!
Fall out boy in Wembley was Amazing, being in the standing crowd was the best as you can literally feel everyone's excitement and enjoyment of the gig/concert. However The Pretty Reckless wasn't the best supporting band.
Reply 15
Original post by bluelezah
Fall out boy in Wembley was Amazing, being in the standing crowd was the best as you can literally feel everyone's excitement and enjoyment of the gig/concert. However The Pretty Reckless wasn't the best supporting band.

I totally agree with TPR, she couldn't sing, you couldn't see her face and she just danced like a slut across the stage!
I loved New Politics though, they made me smile :smile: Cried throughout FOBs set though haha
Original post by esjae
I totally agree with TPR, she couldn't sing, you couldn't see her face and she just danced like a slut across the stage!
I loved New Politics though, they made me smile :smile: Cried throughout FOBs set though haha

New Politics are pretty cool, they created a great atmosphere when they were supporting Panic! At The Disco, and their new album is quite catchy too :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by vincentasaurus
New Politics are pretty cool, they created a great atmosphere when they were supporting Panic! At The Disco, and their new album is quite catchy too :smile:

They have a similar sound to P!ATD, so that'd work, but all the supports for FOB were of different genres, which I found a bit awkward..
Original post by esjae

OMG! one time, she was totally lip syncing cause her face was away from the mic and she was just dancing without her lips moving but you can still hear her voice, which is not good. New Politics did make me smile and danced a little.
And I swear when Fall out boy came out my knees started shaking. It was so good I still have my standing wristband thingy. I wish I could go back. Love them so much!!!!:headbang::heart::rock::yeah:
Reply 19
Original post by bluelezah
OMG! one time, she was totally lip syncing cause her face was away from the mic and she was just dancing without her lips moving but you can still hear her voice, which is not good. New Politics did make me smile and danced a little.
And I swear when Fall out boy came out my knees started shaking. It was so good I still have my standing wristband thingy. I wish I could go back. Love them so much!!!!:headbang::heart::rock::yeah:

I was sitting so I had a good but not good view of the stage if that makes any sense haha! I loved NP they were like puppies on acid they just didnt stay still haha!
I literally couldnt contain my inner 12 year old :P Been waiting for that day since I was 11/12 so I was well pleased :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest