The Student Room Group

Share your gig reviews and experiences!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've seen REM twice, Oasis, Radiohead twice, Brian Wilson, the Pet Shop Boys, Roger McGuinn of The Byrds, Huey Lewis & The News.

REM were hands down the best live act. Particularly the second time I saw them (the first was more like an obvious 'greatest hits'). The second time they started off with 'I took your name' from Monster.

The first time I saw Radiohead was better than the second. The first time was in a circus tent in Warrington when they had just released Kid A. There were relatively few people there and it had a truly grungey feel as a result in comparison to the fawning 'jolly good day out' feel of the second time.

Brian Wilson was in Edinburgh- I only booked the tickets the day before and got front seat. He's not quite the totally impeachable genius some say he is (his run of great albums is less than some others) but Smile on its own is enough to secure that standing anyway. However this wasn't the Smile tour- he was playing a new album which wasn't great. The old stuff was of course fine.

The Pet Shops Boys were just at a small student union playing most guitar music (they had a song called 'Home and dry'). It's a sin but they didn't play It's a sin , nor Always on my mind (although I forgive the second as it's originally an Elvis song, not theirs). I can't remember if they played Suburbia or What have I done to deserve this so it wasn't a hugely memorable event.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by kpofsuburbia
It's all good! Do you want to go into music production/promotion as a career? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to review gigs/albums etc etc even if it is just for fun :smile: but as a career would be fab
Original post by esjae
I'd like to review gigs/albums etc etc even if it is just for fun :smile: but as a career would be fab

I'm the same! How weird! I love anything journalism related, hence I'm doing it at Uni in September! :smile:
Reply 43
I'm the same! How weird! I love anything journalism related, hence I'm doing it at Uni in September! :smile:

I'm still doing AS Levels so uni is a distance but not so distance thought atm haha! :smile:
Original post by esjae
I'm still doing AS Levels so uni is a distance but not so distance thought atm haha! :smile:

Oh right, haha- what subjects are you doing? And what do you want to do after? :smile:
Reply 45
Oh right, haha- what subjects are you doing? And what do you want to do after? :smile:

Sociology, Psychology, Law and English Lang/lit, unsure which one to drop :smile:
Original post by esjae
Sociology, Psychology, Law and English Lang/lit, unsure which one to drop :smile:

They all sound so interesting! I was going to do Sociology and English for A Level, along with RE and Human Biology, but then I realised a college near me does a BTEC in Journalism, so I'm doing that! Which do you most enjoy? :smile:
Reply 47
They all sound so interesting! I was going to do Sociology and English for A Level, along with RE and Human Biology, but then I realised a college near me does a BTEC in Journalism, so I'm doing that! Which do you most enjoy? :smile:

I love English with Psychology a close second :smile:
Original post by esjae
I love English with Psychology a close second :smile:

Awesome, what books have you done for English? :smile:
Reply 49
Awesome, what books have you done for English? :smile:

Time Travelers Wife and The Time Machine with looooooots of poetry :smile:
Original post by esjae
Time Travelers Wife and The Time Machine with looooooots of poetry :smile:

Ah cool, I've wanted to read The Time Traveller's Wife for a while, is it good? I know you've probably had to analyse the guts out of it though! I had to do poetry for my first GCSE, it was the Anthology- I hated it!
Reply 51
Ah cool, I've wanted to read The Time Traveller's Wife for a while, is it good? I know you've probably had to analyse the guts out of it though! I had to do poetry for my first GCSE, it was the Anthology- I hated it!

It's really good, confusing at times, as well as very sad. Its a really good book and I'd recommend it to anyone :smile:
I havent done much analysis with it, but enough to understand it a lot haha it's fun :smile: I actually dont mind the poetry you just find out that most poems are about love, sex and death haha
Original post by esjae
It's really good, confusing at times, as well as very sad. Its a really good book and I'd recommend it to anyone :smile:
I havent done much analysis with it, but enough to understand it a lot haha it's fun :smile: I actually dont mind the poetry you just find out that most poems are about love, sex and death haha

I'll try and find I somewhere then! I didn't mind the poems, just the exam! I think mine were the same! :smile:
Reply 53
I'll try and find I somewhere then! I didn't mind the poems, just the exam! I think mine were the same! :smile:

Yeah I'm dreading all my exams ngl!:P
Original post by esjae
Yeah I'm dreading all my exams ngl!:P

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, when do they start? :smile:
Reply 55
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, when do they start? :smile:

Six weeks Tuesday :frown:
Original post by esjae
Six weeks Tuesday :frown:

Ew :frown: Which subject? How are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Ew :frown: Which subject? How are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology and okay, I guess
Reply 58

There is absolutely nothing weird about seeing someone on a student website who happens to like reviewing. I hope that your journalism course teaches you probability.
Reply 59
Saw Architects at Academy in Manchester - It could have easily sold out Acad 1 but we were squeezed into 2...

their first support had really bad sound, you couldn't hear the singer even when he spoke and wasn't screaming which was pretty crap.
Stray from the path weren't bad but weren't anything special either.

Northlane then came on and the crowd went pretty wild, I've listened to them before and thought they were average and I mean nothing sticks out either to be honest - the circle pits came and went pretty fast

Finally Architects arrived and from the get go crowdsurfers and a huge pit made it pretty epic

These colours don't run has to be the highlight, immense, the guys at the front had their work cut out pulling an endless stream of surfers out :lol:

Then because it was my fave gig I've ever been to: Prodigy at Warehouse Project :sogood:

Jaguar skills started the night with some nerdy visuals and the odd banger but frustrated me because he constantly cut each song short...

Can't even remember Caspa's set - go figure

Then...the moment I've waited for since i was a little'n skanking to firestarter... The prodigy arrived.

Immense atmosphere as they introduced themselves. I honestly had to get nearer to the front (so worth it)

They played all their classics - I fanboyed so much when maxim said 'It's getting hard...to breathe...!'

Highlight of the night surprisingly was the big gundown - epic.

The crowd was brutal - I was in the pit all night with massive middle aged meatheads - got elbowed fairly early on in the chest so couldn't breathe properly (lol music pun) but I kept going.

Was really crap to see them finish but it was definitely i night to remember!

(and worth all the money)

Quick Reply

Latest