The Student Room Group

Share your gig reviews and experiences!

Scroll to see replies

I saw Muse in May last year and they were incredible. Absolutely insane. All 3 of them are super talented musicians and they had a really theatrical show which made the whole experience amazing. Will definitely try to see them again.
Saw Los Campesinos! at the end of last year and they were awesome. Really fun night, and I got to meet Gareth (the lead singer) afterwards who was absolutely lovely.
I'm seeing La Dispute in 2 months and I am so excited. They are my favourite band and from what I've seen on youtube they're amazing live too. Can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by Picnic1
There is absolutely nothing weird about seeing someone on a student website who happens to like reviewing. I hope that your journalism course teaches you probability.

Erm, what was that for? I just thought it was weird about us both liking the same thing, I know it's not uncommon on sits like this. I hope your future teaches you manners.
Original post by kpofsuburbia
Erm, what was that for? I just thought it was weird about us both liking the same thing, I know it's not uncommon on sits like this. I hope your future teaches you manners.

Well if it's not uncommon then it follows that it isn't weird!

I care for the truth more than manners. I try to balance them but, where there's a conflict, I let the truth come out. If only more journalists had manners by the way!
Original post by Picnic1
Well if it's not uncommon then it follows that it isn't weird!

I care for the truth more than manners. I try to balance them but, where there's a conflict, I let the truth come out. If only more journalists had manners by the way!

Hey, not very many people in real life are like me, it's nice to find someone with relatively same interests. What do you mean by more journalists having manners? I'm perfectly polite, thank you.
Original post by Picnic1

The first time I saw Radiohead was better than the second. The first time was in a circus tent in Warrington when they had just released Kid A. There were relatively few people there and it had a truly grungey feel as a result in comparison to the fawning 'jolly good day out' feel of the second time.

I'm very jealous, was going to see them in Manchester two years ago but tickets were quite expensive so I opted for Animal Collective at the Warehouse Project which was amazing, never danced like such a fool for so long.

Also, do you use Reddit? Because r/radiohead is practically my home
Original post by 3LostContinents
I saw Muse in May last year and they were incredible. Absolutely insane. All 3 of them are super talented musicians and they had a really theatrical show which made the whole experience amazing. Will definitely try to see them again.
Saw Los Campesinos! at the end of last year and they were awesome. Really fun night, and I got to meet Gareth (the lead singer) afterwards who was absolutely lovely.
I'm seeing La Dispute in 2 months and I am so excited. They are my favourite band and from what I've seen on youtube they're amazing live too. Can't wait :biggrin:

La Dispute are so amazing!! What did you think of Rooms of the House? I loved it
Original post by Tom_Anks
I'm very jealous, was going to see them in Manchester two years ago but tickets were quite expensive so I opted for Animal Collective at the Warehouse Project which was amazing, never danced like such a fool for so long.

Also, do you use Reddit? Because r/radiohead is practically my home

Tickets were a mere £25 back when I saw Radiohead! It seems impossibly cheap for a band who had always been so critically acclaimed.

I don't use Reddit.

The tour that I would have most liked to have seen that was possible in my lifetime (aside form Kate Bush's Tour of Life but I was only 1 then) is Pink Floyd's Pulse tour in 1994. You Tube videos show that the lighting and sound were sensational. In some cases, they are arguably the best versions of some of those songs.
Original post by Picnic1
Tickets were a mere £25 back when I saw Radiohead! It seems impossibly cheap for a band who had always been so critically acclaimed.

I don't use Reddit.

The tour that I would have most liked to have seen that was possible in my lifetime (aside form Kate Bush's Tour of Life but I was only 1 then) is Pink Floyd's Pulse tour in 1994. You Tube videos show that the lighting and sound were sensational. In some cases, they are arguably the best versions of some of those songs.

Speaking of Kate Bush, I've never actually listened to her properly. What album should I listen to? I've heard she's very good.

Pink Floyd are fantastic, although I've never been a fan of their live albums, they pull off studio stuff incredibly well though
biffy clyro are painfully good live

for upcoming bands -- ms mr & the neighbourhood are ones to see, and london grammar gigs are stunning
Reply 69
Original post by 3LostContinents

Sounds great. What were that support band like, I have a feeling that they were The Joy Formidable who are one of my favorite bands.
Good music tastes :biggrin:
Speaking of Kate Bush, I've never actually listened to her properly. What album should I listen to? I've heard she's very good.

Pink Floyd are fantastic, although I've never been a fan of their live albums, they pull off studio stuff incredibly well though

Kate Bush:
Debut album: The Kick Inside. A mix of intimate piano songs sometimes given Floyd-like experimental twists in places. Strange Phenomena is an incredible song. If you liked Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes, this will be up your street. Plus there's the rock of James and the Cold Gun. If she'd only released this album, she'd still be important.

Lionheart- essentially a total continuation of The Kick Inside, difference being that this one is more consciously theatrical- warmer in a way- throughout with songs like In Search of Peter Pan- and Wow about being an actor on the stage and the quirky Coffee Homeground about a poisoner.

Never for Ever
and The Dreaming

These are the albums that I would never actually buy. Some big KB fans will think that not having The Dreaming doesn't make you a big fan but truth is I'd rather buy the individual singles on these. It's as if these were her 'exotic', slightly less English, albums , as if she was getting away from some of her Englishness for a bit. That's not what I want from KB albums.

Never for Ever has Babooshka, Army Dreamers and Breathing. The latter in particular is a greatly atmospheric song.

The Dreaming is definitely a 'big fan' favourite but not of me as a whole. 2 of the singles - Sat in your lap and Suspended in gaffa are SUPERB- much more than the album as a whole. Some like the title song as well but the Australian outback song is not a particular favourite of mine although there's nothing wrong with it.

Hounds of Love was considered a big come back for her as many people hadn't paid massive attention to The Dreaming, even to its superb singles.
It used 80s 'big sound' production to enhance her sound. It was arguably less quirky than Sat in your lap but it was still powerful and seemed more personal to more people as well. Many still regard this as her finest album but I reserve that for either The Kick Inside or...

The Sensual World. You have to listen to this. It's obligatory to me to be regarded as a Kate Bush fan. 12 very much individual songs, every one polished as its own jewel really despite only This Womans Work really being massively known from it.
My favourite is Rocket's Tail with Dave Gilmour on guitar. It's a very mature and 'autumnal' album and if you've ever had a thing for powerful and sensitive women in their prime this is the album to be. It is intensely seductive.

The Red Shoes- an album of about 6 great songs and 6 songs more like 'experiments' to show her cutting edge.

It's certainly an unusual listen in how it alternates between 'seeming' extremely upbeat(far more than ever before)- Rubberband Girl, Eat the music- both great to me, very sad songs like And so is love and wacky experiments like Big Stripey Lie.
This strange album contains arguably her finest ballad Moments of Pleasure- it is an absolute GEM of a song. Death hangs over this album- her mother had died around this time and it also references Bill Duffield who unfortunately died during her first and only tour (until this year). A previous song on another album 'Blow away (For Bill)' was presumably for him as well.

A gap of 12 years and Aerial finally arrived. On first listen easy to think that only King of the mountain is 'worthy'. That remains one of my favourites but even more so are How to be invisible ( a funky Radiohead-like number), An Architects Dream, a dreamy, nostalgic song about a painter and Sunset which unexpectedly turns in to flamenco. The album also contains a song that should have really done the rounds in nightclubs, the title song like Cornflake Girl did for Tori Amos. (I'm gonna be up on the roof...') Some of the songs show that she could have made a career writing Ibiza-like dance music (although 'tastefully middle class' ones) if only people would play her for those.

50 words for snow- I'm sad to this that this album is actually entirely missable despite the best wishes of some KB fans. It is so sparsely arranged that it is like Aerial with all the subtle funkiness sucked out of it. Misty , a song about a relationship with a snowman , is its best song. It's fine but the album is so languid and it never gets going at all.

So in short- listen to the singles I've mentioned. But also listen , at the very least to The Kick Inside, Hounds of Love, The Sensual World and the first half of Aerial in their entirety.
(edited 9 years ago)
All Time Low gives wicked concerts.

The one I went to was in a comparably small venue and it was quite intimate (I would imagine- but I was all the way at the back because I lost my ticket before and had to repurchase at the doors). As I was at the far end near the sound technician (Evan Kirkendall), I may have been in the best position for the actual sounds (which cheered me up by 720%).

The gig was great with a setlist that consisted of both old and new songs, which was brilliant. The banter between songs (mainly Alex Gaskarth, the lead singer, and Jack Barakat, the guitarist, but occasionally Rian Dawson and Zack Merrick too) was also as fantastic as I've anticipated it to be- basically a cool tumblr gif but about 2 hours of it. Everything was great, everyone was great, the concert overall was great and it was just an amazing experience. 10/10 would recommend, even if you aren't a fan (already). Their music is easy to get into and also sets the mood up for some jammin' and have I mentioned the banter? It's hilarious.

I'm not even paid to say all of this
Reply 72
Original post by fizzers
All Time Low gives wicked concerts.

The one I went to was in a comparably small venue and it was quite intimate (I would imagine- but I was all the way at the back because I lost my ticket before and had to repurchase at the doors). As I was at the far end near the sound technician (Evan Kirkendall), I may have been in the best position for the actual sounds (which cheered me up by 720%).

The gig was great with a setlist that consisted of both old and new songs, which was brilliant. The banter between songs (mainly Alex Gaskarth, the lead singer, and Jack Barakat, the guitarist, but occasionally Rian Dawson and Zack Merrick too) was also as fantastic as I've anticipated it to be- basically a cool tumblr gif but about 2 hours of it. Everything was great, everyone was great, the concert overall was great and it was just an amazing experience. 10/10 would recommend, even if you aren't a fan (already). Their music is easy to get into and also sets the mood up for some jammin' and have I mentioned the banter? It's hilarious.

I'm not even paid to say all of this

Ugh you're so lucky omfg. Evan is so lovely
La Dispute are so amazing!! What did you think of Rooms of the House? I loved it

I know! To be honest it wasn't at all what I expected, but I've absolutely fallen in love with it. I love Woman (reading) and Woman (in mirror) and 35 just breaks my heart
Original post by esjae
Ugh you're so lucky omfg. Evan is so lovely

Yes he is! Funny thing is that I could've sworn that he was sporting a black eye but because they had some technical difficulties (of some sort) during pre-show, they were all v stressed out so I couldn't talk to him. Also saw Matt (said hi to him), Jeff etc. It's a small venue in a country they've never visited before and I doubt anyone knew the crew heh
Original post by Izabeli
Sounds great. What were that support band like, I have a feeling that they were The Joy Formidable who are one of my favorite bands.
Good music tastes :biggrin:

For which one? For Muse it was The 1975 and Dizzie Rascal (which I personally thought was a bit of an odd choice but oh well) and for Los Campesinos! it was Joanna Gruesome who were awesome (also met them afterwards and they were really nice)
Love The Joy Formidable though :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by fizzers
Yes he is! Funny thing is that I could've sworn that he was sporting a black eye but because they had some technical difficulties (of some sort) during pre-show, they were all v stressed out so I couldn't talk to him. Also saw Matt (said hi to him), Jeff etc. It's a small venue in a country they've never visited before and I doubt anyone knew the crew heh

I love Matt I'm so gutted that he's left the band because he's my favourite non band member :P have you got Straight To DVD?
Original post by esjae
I love Matt I'm so gutted that he's left the band because he's my favourite non band member :P have you got Straight To DVD?

Yeah, he's a babe! Yes of course :tongue:
Reply 78
Original post by fizzers
Yeah, he's a babe! Yes of course :tongue:

I lent it to my friend and every now and again I just get the giggles because of something I've remembered from the DVD
Original post by esjae
I lent it to my friend and every now and again I just get the giggles because of something I've remembered from the DVD

Mickey mouse, eh?

Quick Reply

Latest