The Student Room Group

Question for engineers: Have you heard of the programming language called FORTRAN?

If you have, what can u actually do with it? How doesn't help in engineering? Cos I reading about aerospace engineering degree and it says you'll be learning it with matlab

Posted from TSR Mobile
FORTRAN is just another programming language...like Matlab

I'm guessing in the aerospace engineering course you're applying for, they'll be using Matlab.
Reply 2
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
FORTRAN is just another programming language...like Matlab

I'm guessing in the aerospace engineering course you're applying for, they'll be using Matlab.

Oh I see, so there's nothing special about it. Because I'm still wondering what programming language they use to program planes but still haven't found anything, thought fortran might be it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I haven't heard of it since 1976.
Reply 4
Original post by Old_Simon
I haven't heard of it since 1976.

Lol, I guess new programs like matlab have taken over it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng
If you have, what can u actually do with it? How doesn't help in engineering? Cos I reading about aerospace engineering degree and it says you'll be learning it with matlab

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard of the name, but never actually came across it.
Reply 6
The first computer I used was one of those house sized affairs. A couple of nice girls typed up our pathetic "programmes" onto tape.......then we put it in a thingy............a millisecond later it was all over. Trust me I was a pioneer lol.

To be serious Fortan is widely used in many applications to this day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bigboateng
Oh I see, so there's nothing special about it. Because I'm still wondering what programming language they use to program planes but still haven't found anything, thought fortran might be it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, a programming language just for planes :biggrin:

If anything, most of the programming you'll be doing will be to model the fluid flow rather than anything to do with the plane itself.
FORTRAN is still used by physicists, I believe.
Reply 9
FORTRAN was a language used for stuff like finite element analysis in engineering and engineers at the time did not have the software now such as ANSYS for example so they would often create code in FORTRAN to perform tasks like FEA.

My lecturer told me this a week ago :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Fortran was designed in the early days of computing for techies to do their calculations with rather than being targeted at databasey dp projects. it has features like an inbuilt built complex number type for instance.

there's still quite a lot of legacy fortran code knocking about but IMO I think it'd be hard to justify starting a brand new project in fortran.

a couple of years back I wanted to use a function someone had coded in fortran, I haven't ever done any fortran so I was able to compile it with gcc and link it to a driver program I'd written in C.

Ada was being used for a lot of onboard safety critical stuff at one time, Ada is a more recent language designed to be easily verifiable.
A blast from the past. Way back I wrote a program in Fortran 77 to plot the orbit of a planet around the sun. Mind, I've never used it since.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending